Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 3612 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,790 Posts
We heard recently that a company called DiamondBack Covers intends to bring forward its SE and HD models in the near future. Not as pretty as the A.R.E LSX series, but very strong and durable products:

http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/se/

All tonneau makers are going to have trouble attaching their tonneaus to the G2 bed rails. For example, the 2017 Ridgeline's bed rails don't support the use of C clamps. And there are other stumbling blocks.

For more info including pricing and shipping costs, see this thread:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-2017/138577-diamondback-tonneau-cover.html

_

·
Registered
41 Posts
"I would be shocked if Bak Industries didn't have a BakFlip in the works for the Ridgeline, but I've heard no official word to that effect."

I spoke with Bak late last week and they said they were planning on an October release for their cover for the G2. Key word here is "planning".

·
Registered
231 Posts
I personally don't like the folding covers, the rolling ones make a lot more sense to me. If you need to have access to the whole bed, you have to plan ahead and take off the folding cover, if it rolls, you are always ready to go - no need to plan ahead.

So I'm waiting till I can buy a roll up cover.
I'm sure they'll be out before the fall - I hope

Just my 2 cents.

"I would be shocked if Bak Industries didn't have a BakFlip in the works for the Ridgeline, but I've heard no official word to that effect."

I spoke with Bak late last week and they said they were planning on an October release for their cover for the G2. Key word here is "planning".
I called also, the guy on the phone said they bought a Ridgeline for the company to use, I thought that was cool.

He really didn't know when they would have a cover, told me to check in, in a few months.

·
Super Moderator
2,790 Posts
When we talk to companies like A.R.E., Bak Industries, Leer, DiamondBack, Extang, we should make sure to let them know that the Honda tonneau is the only available product on the market right now and it leaks like a sieve. (Attribute it to me if you want, I don't mind.) That the mainstream product from the manufacturer of the vehicle has serious problems is a huge opportunity for these guys. It means they won't likely be competing with the one company that can outsell them any day of the week. It's also a signal to them that there is a challenge awaiting in getting this right.

I personally don't like the folding covers, the rolling ones make a lot more sense to me. If you need to have access to the whole bed, you have to plan ahead and take off the folding cover, if it rolls, you are always ready to go - no need to plan ahead.

So I'm waiting till I can buy a roll up cover.
I'm sure they'll be out before the fall - I hope

Just my 2 cents.
I don't like the rollup ones because they take up space in your bed usually. Happily we eventually won't have to choose just one or the other. To each his own.

I wish they could make a fiberglass-like tonneau that was strong enough to to create a bed lock in and of itself and that could be removable by one person and easily stored in my basement or garage. In other words the material would need to be much lighter than fiberglass and yet just as strong. Not too much to ask for, is it :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine came with the cover installed by the dealership... With the cover latched we were still able to use the trunk and fill it with groceries no problem... Of course it is easier to just undo the speed latch when removing so you have full access... Takes 2 seconds to undo each latch ... Love the cover !!

·
Super Moderator
2,790 Posts
Phineas, That sounds like you are describing these guys UnderCover Truck Bed Covers | UnderCover LUX I also wish they would make one for the G2
Wow! You're right. This UnderCover Lux sounds perfect. It's like the best of both worlds. Thanks for that link. Have you talked to them about whether they're building for the Ridgeline G2?

Mine came with the cover installed by the dealership... With the cover latched we were still able to use the trunk and fill it with groceries no problem... Of course it is easier to just undo the speed latch when removing so you have full access... Takes 2 seconds to undo each latch ... Love the cover !!
It's a nice design but several of us have found that it leaks water even from a moderate rainfall. Installation of this tonneau is pretty easy since it comes already put together. I don't know what type of Honda employee you are, but if you're in a position to let Honda know that the tonneau leaks from the front corners and all along the middle of both sides, that would be great. In my opinion it needs clamps on both sides of the middle panel. And Honda needs to rework the Ridgeline's rail cap so that it is more rigid and there are no gaps, slots or seams.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did a few months ago, that did not have any news. We should gang up this week and ask again if we draw enough attention it may happen.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I find it interesting that Honda really pulled out the stops with the composite bed material... "space age" lightweight and strong anti-corroding material with "color all the way through", etc, etc. Yet the Gen2 OEM tonneau, while more functional, seems to be nearly as much of a pig as the old one.

Why not apply a little of this cutting-edge materials science to the tonneau panels?

Hasn't honeycomb using fiberglass and aluminum and advanced composite materials been around since the 1950s? Instead we have the option of a "good enough" design with needlessly heavy material.

I fought the Gen1 tonneau off my old truck dozens of times to have the whole bed accessible. And hated it every time. What a pig!

And then the spring of the trunk lid wasn't strong enough to keep the lid open under the closed tonneau. That was fun. The trunk lid's weight was just a little too high, so it would not remain up at lower opening angles, so to keep the trunk lid open I would have to open the flap of the tonneau.

This made me regret purchasing the Gen1 OEM tonneau every time I had to flip the first panel forward just so the trunk lid would remain up.

While I respect that materials cost is a limiting factor, I will be waiting for a well-designed, good sealing, lightweight on strong tonneau to emerge rather than purchase the Honda tonneau.

And don't get me started on the old craptastic flap lock on the Gen1 tonneau. That thing was horrible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's a nice design but several of us have found that it leaks water even from a moderate rainfall. Installation of this tonneau is pretty easy since it comes already put together. I don't know what type of Honda employee you are, but if you're in a position to let Honda know that the tonneau leaks from the front corners and all along the middle of both sides, that would be great. In my opinion it needs clamps on both sides of the middle panel. And Honda needs to rework the Ridgeline's rail cap so that it is more rigid and there are no gaps, slots or seams.
I wish I had that kinda power to make those decisions :frown: ... I also noticed water leaking and asked the dealership about that ... They quickly came back with the answer that the cover is not guaranteed to be waterproof... The cover is a aftermarket part as you know that is made by Extang and not made by Honda...Hopefully Honda will steer a different direction and start installing a different manufacturer as I suspect they will get multiple complaints on this model... Either that our work with the supplier to design a better seal for the Ridgeline bed.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I find it interesting that Honda really pulled out the stops with the composite bed material... "space age" lightweight and strong anti-corroding material with "color all the way through", etc, etc. Yet the Gen2 OEM tonneau, while more functional, seems to be nearly as much of a pig as the old one.

Maybe Honda doesn't sell that many of them and loses most sales to aftermarket and knowing this didn't put a whole lot of effort into making one, or possible out sourced the cover to begin with and slapped their logo on it.

There are so many varieties of covers because everyone's needs are different that I can see Honda not wanting to invest to heavily into this

·
Registered
18 Posts

Why not apply a little of this cutting-edge materials science to the tonneau panels?

Hasn't honeycomb using fiberglass and aluminum and advanced composite materials been around since the 1950s? Instead we have the option of a "good enough" design with needlessly heavy material.

I fought the Gen1 tonneau off my old truck dozens of times to have the whole bed accessible. And hated it every time. What a pig!

And then the spring of the trunk lid wasn't strong enough to keep the lid open under the closed tonneau. That was fun. The trunk lid's weight was just a little too high, so it would not remain up at lower opening angles, so to keep the trunk lid open I would have to open the flap of the tonneau.

This made me regret purchasing the Gen1 OEM tonneau every time I had to flip the first panel forward just so the trunk lid would remain up.

While I respect that materials cost is a limiting factor, I will be waiting for a well-designed, good sealing, lightweight on strong tonneau to emerge rather than purchase the Honda tonneau.

And don't get me started on the old craptastic flap lock on the Gen1 tonneau. That thing was horrible.

I agree 100% it would be nice if the Honda accessory Cover ( made by Extang I suspect ) was better... I suspect Honda will see this cover is not meeting the weatherproofing needs of the majority of customers and will offer a different option... Or they might continue to offer that and just let consumers research their own options... But yes I agree Honda should not make a aftermarket accessory option that does not meet our expectations... I'm stuck with the dealer installed option for now..:|

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't like the rollup ones because they take up space in your bed usually. Happily we eventually won't have to choose just one or the other. To each his own.

I wish they could make a fiberglass-like tonneau that was strong enough to to create a bed lock in and of itself and that could be removable by one person and easily stored in my basement or garage. In other words the material would need to be much lighter than fiberglass and yet just as strong. Not too much to ask for, is it :)
BAK makes the roll up that you strap up - sits on top of the bed, doesn't take up much room and not in the bed. My friend has one on his truck, which is where I first saw it, I thought it was a great option.
But yea, everyone has different needs and wants a different look, which is why I'm happy there is a lot of aftermarket choices - well hopefully soon to come.

·
Super Moderator
2,790 Posts
I wish I had that kinda power to make those decisions :frown: ... I also noticed water leaking and asked the dealership about that ... They quickly came back with the answer that the cover is not guaranteed to be waterproof... The cover is a aftermarket part as you know that is made by Extang and not made by Honda...Hopefully Honda will steer a different direction and start installing a different manufacturer as I suspect they will get multiple complaints on this model... Either that our work with the supplier to design a better seal for the Ridgeline bed.
Totally understand the you aren't in a situation where you can communicate this stuff internally. And what I'm about to say is not your fault; it sounds like you're dealing with the same problems we are.

It does say that there's no guarantee of being waterproof. But all of Extang's tonneaus come with that warning. The Honda tonneau is the fourth Extang product that I've purchased and installed myself. It's the only one of the four that leaked. Ultimately, the problem stems from Honda's design, in my opinion. In other words, I don't think it's Extang's design that's causing problems with the water seal. The truck bed was not designed with its own rail system, even as an option. That was a big mistake in my opinion. Any rail that you might add to this will be fighting for fractions of an inch of space with the edge of the trunk lid. The Ridgeline was not designed with rigid, stationary, seamless rail caps. It was not designed to accept C clamps that are commonly used to connect tonneaus and truck caps. In short it was not designed with any thought given to the huge world of pickup truck bed-cover enhancements.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm hoping BAKFlip isn't Bak Peddling (see what i did there!), but the response I just received when asking about a cover for the 2017 Ridgeline was that they're "monitoring what kind of demand there will be at this time." Hopefully someone answered me that doesn't know they have something that's potentially in the works.

·
Super Moderator
2,790 Posts
The way Bak designs most of their covers will not work easily with the new Ridgeline. Any cover that sits between the rails, a.k.a. a "drop-in" cover, will have trouble working in Honda's design without permanently blocking the trunk from opening all the way. I'm sure they have some models that lay atop the bed walls. I haven't come across one yet but, if they do, those would be the ones I would think they might look to first. So that issue combined with the fact that not enough Ridgelines have sold yet to actually support the development of a product that will work readily with the G2 may keep them from doing anything soon. Any tonneau maker will most likely have to either require us to drill holes or use the removal of the tie-down approach that the Honda tonneau uses, which means the creation of Ridgeline-specific brackets. It would not surprise me if you there are fewer new tonneau models created for the Ridgeline this year than expected based on the intentions of manufacturers.

21 - 40 of 3612 Posts
About this Discussion
3.6K Replies
359 Participants
DaveR
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing