Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 3659 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found it interesting that the local dealer charges $1316 for a cover installed on a new truck. Plus $675 or so for a "Pro Pack" and also has running boards installed--all on a 2WD sport. Talk about running the price up.

·
Super Moderator
2,823 Posts
Ding. Ding. Ding! Highest price yet for an installed Honda tonneau. They're making at least $800 on that, my guess.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I spoke with access tech support today and they said the rails do not allow the trunk to open fully. They claim that the trunk will open 85 to 90%. Still waiting on my ridgeline to show up, so not sure if that would be workable or not.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
The rail system installed via the existing torx bolts looks like a reasonable alternative to the typical C clamp install and one that would be easy to copy by BAK or whoever, but I still have concerns about the in-bed trunk opening. It will be nice to see what others come up with.

Exactly this. I was looking at how easy it would be to use these bolts for mounting just the other day. The rail on the access cover definitely looks too wide to allow full opening of the trunk based on the instructions.

Since the widest part of the trunk cover only passes through an area a foot or so long it seems someone could design a rail that narrows in that area. I envision a hard folding cover that simply doesn't latch in that region and gets a little support from the rail. On a Bak it would just need to be wide enough for the gutter. This would of course require additional design work as opposed to just resizing what already exists so unfortunately it may not happen.

·
Super Moderator
2,823 Posts
I spoke with access tech support today and they said the rails do not allow the trunk to open fully. They claim that the trunk will open 85 to 90%. Still waiting on my ridgeline to show up, so not sure if that would be workable or not.
I'm blown away that I never checked those three covers. It's been on my list to do that for weeks. This is fabulous news; it means that solutions are possible. No it's not ideal but it's a whole lot better than what we were facing before.

This design will block the trunk lid. I think I would've put percentage of opening at more like 80% or 75%. My family and I went grocery shopping and we used the trunk. I decided not to open the tonneau and we loaded the groceries that way with the trunk partially open. It was a little awkward, not impossible. I think you lose something. Check it out yourself by putting something flat across the bed rails and opening the trunk. Probably should subtract a couple of inches because most drop-in tonneaus use that kind of space between the tops of the bed walls.

Exactly this. I was looking at how easy it would be to use these bolts for mounting just the other day. The rail on the access cover definitely looks too wide to allow full opening of the trunk based on the instructions.

Since the widest part of the trunk cover only passes through an area a foot or so long it seems someone could design a rail that narrows in that area. I envision a hard folding cover that simply doesn't latch in that region and gets a little support from the rail. On a Bak it would just need to be wide enough for the gutter. This would of course require additional design work as opposed to just resizing what already exists so unfortunately it may not happen.
I have had the same thought about the narrowing of the channel just at that point where the lid opens through it and I think it could work.

But I'm still not a big fan of tonneau covers that use a wide water-catching rail that must be drained through holes in the front corners of the bed. I'm a purist about the holes, I'll admit it. But the real issue for me is that I don't want the water in the bed to begin with; I don't like the system of creating what are essentially gutters. And I don't like the fact that the rail takes away from the usable space of the bed for large objects. It's just an added complication. It also makes removing the tonneau more difficult in most cases. Get the right tonneau that sits on top of the bed rails and there are no holes to drill, no rails to mess with, removal of the tonneau is easy and I've found when designed, manufactured and installed properly that there's very little if any leaking. Anyway, that's my two cents. The tonneau industry seems to be headed in the other direction, however. People apparently like the look of a drop in tonneau that fits between the top of the bed rails and there are some advantages, like security and a standard interface for the tonneau company between the truck and their covers.

Here's a quick post for Extang tonneau fans. It appears we've been duped!

Extang replied today to a message I sent them last night. They denied vehemently that they are the OEM supplier to Honda of a tonneau for the 2017 Ridgeline aka the Honda tonneau. I believe the guy. It appears to me that Honda may have contracted another manufacturer to build what is in effect a clone of the Extang Solid Fold 2. That's just speculation on my part.

There was no timeframe given, but Extang also confirmed that they are working on a tonneau for the 2017 Ridgeline. They offered to contact me when it was getting close. I asked them if they could tell me what model they were working on and there's been no response yet. Extang is part of a large company called Truck Hero, which owns Bak, ARE, UnderCover and other truck tonneau and liner companies. Extang and Truxedo were the original two companies that merged in 2007.

Checking out Access Cover's claim that the trunk lid will open 85% to 90%

Sorry about the blizzard of posts here. But I thought I'd pass along what I see as the truth on the opening of the trunk lid with permanently installed gutter rails above it. I measured the inside opening of the unencumbered trunk lid from the lower edge of the trunk lip down to floor height. I get 27.5 inches. Then I closed my over-the-rail tonneau cover and remeasured the same thing and I get 16.75 inches. That's about 60% open, even less than I expected. Most tonneaus that require rails are probably being installed between the bed rails, flush with their top, which means they hang down into the bed an inch or two. That would reduce the height of the opening further. (To be fair, it looks as if tops of most of Access Cover's vinyl tonneaus don't, in fact, sit flush with the bed rails but protrude upwards, like an over-the-rail tonneau.)

I just want to clear up the claim that the trunk lid will open 85% to 90% with the Access Cover tonneaus. I'm sure that was just an honest estimate on their part. I thought it was 75% to 80%. What these numbers tell me is that, for me, this compromise isn't going to work.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Checking out Access Cover's claim that the trunk lid will open 85% to 90%

Sorry about the blizzard of posts here. But I thought I'd pass along what I see as the truth on the opening of the trunk lid with permanently installed gutter rails above it. I measured the inside opening of the unencumbered trunk lid from the lower edge of the trunk lip down to floor height. I get 27.5 inches. Then I closed my over-the-rail tonneau cover and remeasured the same thing and I get 16.75 inches. That's about 60% open, even less than I expected. Most tonneaus that require rails are probably being installed between the bed rails, flush with their top, which means they hang down into the bed an inch or two. That would reduce the height of the opening further. (To be fair, it looks as if tops of most of Access Cover's vinyl tonneaus don't, in fact, sit flush with the bed rails but protrude upwards, like an over-the-rail tonneau.)

I just want to clear up the claim that the trunk lid will open 85% to 90% with the Access Cover tonneaus. I'm sure that was just an honest estimate on their part. I thought it was 75% to 80%. What these numbers tell me is that, for me, this compromise isn't going to work.
Good info. I remember the opening size 'intrusion' the rails on the G1 caused with the Extang Trifecta. I think if Extang (or others) make the traditional canvas/vinyl TRI-FOLD everyone might be OK.

Meaning just 1 section flipped back and you could open the trunk all the way. Also for sealing out water. Obviously, it would still need to be attached with a bracket system like the OEM as there is no lip like traditional half tons.

Since you look at it more as an owner and have done 'testing', what are your thoughts on the potential for decent sealing with a 'traditional' SOFT trifold? I know Extang Trifectas hooked under the lip are pretty much 100% waterproof (a trickle might get in somewhere if you go through an automatic car wash - otherwise perfect). It was more or less the same 'near waterproof' case with the Trifecta and rails on the G1.

Also, I like the look of the Extang Trifecta Classic (with the black canvas outer surface - looks less 'cheap' than black vinyl).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unfortunately I am still waiting on my ridgeline to show up. Looking at pictures of the trunk, it appears that the narrower rear section of the trunk lid should clear the access rails. So in essence some of the trunk lid should be above the rails while in the open position. Again I can't verify this, but I'm assuming that's where access is getting their 85-90% claim. Not trying to dispute your findings, just being optimistic. I am a contractor and need to have better resistance to water than the OEM cover provides.

·
Super Moderator
2,823 Posts
Since you look at it more as an owner and have done 'testing', what are your thoughts on the potential for decent sealing with a 'traditional' SOFT trifold? I know Extang Trifectas hooked under the lip are pretty much 100% waterproof (a trickle might get in somewhere if you go through an automatic car wash - otherwise perfect). It was more or less the same 'near waterproof' case with the Trifecta and rails on the G1.
Hey how you doing? From what I can tell, the trifecta is essentially the soft version of the Solid Fold. It goes on top of the bed wall tops (a.k.a. bed rails), does not require a rail system of any sort and will not interfere with the trunk lid since it's a trifold without rails.

My only hesitance with this is that since we don't have a rail system involved and there's no apparent possibility for solid C clamp attachment, what attachment system are they using? Something that makes use of those three Torx bolts on either side of the bed and not just the tiedowns in the corners would get my vote. I've owned three or four vinyl tonneaus, and I've never had very good luck with sealing out the elements with them. I think they are lighter overall, and the weight matters. The heavier the tonneau I think the more likely you are to get a watertight seal. You can make up for that with excellent mounting and clamping, but that's precisely what the G2 doesn't offer very well. It desperately needs open boxed C-rails at the top of the bed to give us clamp access. So, without seeing what Extang might come up with for attachment, that would be my only reservation.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hey how you doing? From what I can tell, the trifecta is essentially the soft version of the Solid Fold. It goes on top of the bed wall tops (a.k.a. bed rails), does not require a rail system of any sort and will not interfere with the trunk lid since it's a trifold without rails.

My only hesitance with this is that since we don't have a rail system involved and there's no apparent possibility for solid C clamp attachment, what attachment system are they using? Something that makes use of those three Torx bolts on either side of the bed and not just the tiedowns in the corners would get my vote. I've owned three or four vinyl tonneaus, and I've never had very good luck with sealing out the elements with them. I think they are lighter overall, and the weight matters. The heavier the tonneau I think the more likely you are to get a watertight seal. You can make up for that with excellent mounting and clamping, but that's precisely what the G2 doesn't offer very well. It desperately needs open boxed C-rails at the top of the bed to give us clamp access. So, without seeing what Extang might come up with for attachment, that would be my only reservation.
Currently I have the standard Extang thumbwheel style front clamps and spring loaded rear clamps (per below). Same were used in the G1 rail system. Provides excellent clamping force, even with the spring loaded. As you noted, however, it depends on what type of bracket Extang comes up with. A lip or L-shaped rail like the G1 system insures a tight fit...

·
Super Moderator
2,823 Posts
Unfortunately I am still waiting on my ridgeline to show up. Looking at pictures of the trunk, it appears that the narrower rear section of the trunk lid should clear the access rails. So in essence some of the trunk lid should be above the rails while in the open position. Again I can't verify this, but I'm assuming that's where access is getting their 85-90% claim. Not trying to dispute your findings, just being optimistic. I am a contractor and need to have better resistance to water than the OEM cover provides.
Hey, please, dispute my findings! I just took a look and you're right. I took some rough measurements and did a little fast math, and I was wrong. Access Cover's estimate that the trunk lid will open 85% to 90% of the way – assuming that their roll-up vinyl tonneau is part way open — is most likely right.

Now I want to point out that the hardware involved looked fairly beefy to me (meaning that there is a chance for some sort of conflict that hasn't been considered). Access Cover also uses bow crossbeams. The trunk lid coming up through the tonneau cover framing is a bit awkward. And you're going to have to unstrap the vinyl cover. But 85% to 90% is well within the acceptable range. People who are interested in vinyl should definitely give this one a look.

My dialogue with Extang continued this afternoon. They don't have a full list of the tonneau models they're going to make available for the Ridgeline, but my contact did say that the first two models will likely be the Solid Fold 2.0 and Trifecta. Klossfam and I both think that these simple, over the bed walls, rail-free, tri-fold tonneau covers — one hard and one vinyl — will be the least problematic and the most effective, both in terms of being able to handle the high trunk lid opening and to clamp down on leaks. The fact that the highest point of the trunk lid is also the narrowest point, as pointed out by Jamison, may help other tonneaus too.

Wish I had the timing on Extang's forthcoming tonneaus for the G2. For now, we're just going to have to be satisfied that their coming, along with products from ARE, UnderCover and Leer apparently.

By the way, what Jamison noticed is applicable to all the Tonneaus that use rails, like Bak.

Although there aren't that many details about this, an ROC member reports having talked to Bak recently and been told that the G2 would be in production for the 2017 Ridgeline in the October/November timeframe. See this thread:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-2017/141282-bed-question.html#post2122850

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Has anyone installed or seen the Access cover in the flesh yet? This cover would work perfectly for me as it would provide the rain protection I am looking for while still allowing use of the full bed when needed. I would like to verify the trunk opens to the 85-90% region quoted by the manufacturer. I would like it to open past the lights so you can see in the trunk in the dark. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went by my Honda dealer today with intentions of buying the Honda hard tonneau if they would match College Hills on-line price. With tax they would sell it for $870 but system was showing it on backorder and I need it for a trip this weekend. Salesman that I bought my RL from suggested I look at BE that was purchased by one of their sales managers and it had the Honda tonneau cover on it. It has two very noticeable dents in the front panel (as mentioned by others already). Owner has already had a Honda warranty guy to look at as he is unhappy. Could be reason they are listed on backorder - anyway I decided not to pull the trigger. Salesman called local accessories dealer they use for covers and caps etc. and he called me later with a price for the Access cover($459 installed) which he said was a big seller for him with all makes. They have not installed one on the G2 but have put some on G1 and he has had no complaints from anyone - in fact, he said most want a new one when they trade their old truck for a new model.

Supposed to be in tomorrow and installed in less than an hour! Will keep you posted.

41 - 60 of 3659 Posts