Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, in my opinion we need a wheel and tire category in the forum menu. Just a suggestion.

I am in the market for a Honda Ridgeline. In the meantime I am also looking for a set of rims for the Ridgline also.

What size wheels will fit the Ridgeline? Does anyone have the exact specs if we upgrade to a larger wheel?

5 x 120mm bolt pattern
Offset? What offsets will work? 45mm offset I believe is stock but what variances are allowed?
Width? What works best for 17s, 18s, 19s, 20s.
Is a staggerd setup ok? eg. 8" width in front 9" in back? I would guess no.

If someone could please list all options that will work I would really appreciate it.

Ryan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I just saw tires and wheels in the same category as performance. Moderators can move this if they like. From the amount of hits to this it does seem that there are lots of people with the same questions as me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You may want to look at bigwheels.net. They show wheel options with 30-45 of offset. 100+ 20" ers and 5 or so 22" ers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honda Ridgeline Wheel specs that will fit.

Bolt Pattern: 5x120
Offset Range: 30 to 45
Wheel Size Range: 17x7.5 to 22x8.5
OEM Tire Size (Front): 245/65-17 (245x750 mm)
Max Tire Dimensions: 275x775

·
Registered
265 Posts
ryan380golf said:
Honda Ridgeline Wheel specs that will fit.

Bolt Pattern: 5x120
Offset Range: 30 to 45
Wheel Size Range: 17x7.5 to 22x8.5
OEM Tire Size (Front): 245/65-17 (245x750 mm)
Max Tire Dimensions: 275x775
Do we need to condsider the TPMS questions ? I mean, will the OEM sensors fit onto aftermarket wheels ? I really like this feature, we all paid for it, so why should we lose it ? I have spoken to the Tirarack, as well as tires.com, and the consensus is that although the Ridge is a truck, its wheels are typical of a front drive car. The bolt spacing/offset is similar to a 3 series BMW, or some older chrysler/dodge sedans. What I have found is if you go to most tire/wheel websites, and plug in the Ridge for a fitment match, you only get a few, if any matches. But, if you plug in the specs for size/offset/bolt spacing in a search, you get far more results. The problem is most websites have not updated their info for the Ridge, since it is somewhat of an annomaly being a pickup with a FWD wheel application.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Before modifying your wheels, you should read page 180-181 of your owners manual:

The warning in bold states:
Improper accessories or modifications can affect your vehicles handling, stability, and performance, and cause a crash which you can be hurt or killed.

Follow all instructions in this owners manual regarding accessories and modifications.

Specific examples of what not to do are listed on page 181:

Lowering the vehicle with a non-Honda suspension kit that signicantly reduces round clearance can allow the undercarriage to hit speed bumps or other raised objects which could cause the airbags to deploy.

Raising your vehicle with a non-Honda suspension lit can affect the handling and stability.

Non-Honda wheels, because they are a universal design, can cause excessive stress on suspension components and will not be compatible with the tire pressure monitoring system.

Larger or smaller wheels can interfere with the operation of your vehicles antilock brakes and other systems.

Modifying your steering wheel or any other part of your vehicle’s safety system could make the systems ineffective.

The Ridgeline’s tires and wheels were specifically designed to meet the load rating, handling, and crash performance of this vehicle. Any aftermarket wheel will not meet the strength requirements these wheels have been subjected to. Therefore it is an exceedingly bad idea to replace them with ANYTHING other than the Honda accessory wheel. Additionally, you should be aware making this type of modification voids any warranty claim relating to the suspension, brakes or drivetrain. Proceed with caution.

Increasing the tire diameter changes the radius of the wheel which in effect changes the gear ratio. This will have a significant negative affect on the launch performance of your vehicle and is therefore ill advised.

Changing the off-set or width of the wheel significantly affects the load inputs into the suspension and wheel bearings. Again, altering the geometry of the suspension in this fashion is ill advised.

Finally, the tire was specifically developed to meet the on-road, off-road, snow performance, NVH level, and load capacity for this vehicle. If you change the tire to an alternate design, make sure the load index rating is an equivalent number (=105). This modification will significantly affect the ability to maintain safe and confident handling when your Ridgeline is loaded.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Kodiak said:
Larger or smaller wheels can interfere with the operation of your vehicles antilock brakes and other systems.

Increasing the tire diameter changes the radius of the wheel which in effect changes the gear ratio. This will have a significant negative affect on the launch performance of your vehicle and is therefore ill advised.
I think that larger or smaller wheels would really screw with the VSA. I would think you would want to keep the same diameter and width no matter what.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'm not a big fan of changing wheel or tire size. Here is a very old ROC thread I remembered where Honda engineers clearly did not want you to use aftermarket wheels. Aftermarket wheel recommendation Honda does not make alot of money on wheels so I don't think this is a $$$ thing!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did alot of research before I purchased after market wheels. Here's what I found. Everyone was trying to sell me wheels with 5x4.75 bolt circle. They all told me it was the same as 5x120mm. Baloney, 4.75 is not the same as 120mm. If you put the wrong bolt pattern on, eventually, you may do damage to the studs, and the wheels will just never fit properly. I know some people disagree, and that is fine. But, I stayed with the stock size, in order to prevent any damage and eventually void my warrenty. With all of the high tech gadgets and gizmos that goes to the wheels, I figured, why take a chance. Also, take a look at the size of the front calipers, man their really big. I found a dealer that agreed with me about the proper bolt pattern, and he found me a set of wheels that are 17x7.5 with 43mm offset (I know stock is 45mm) with a 5x120mm bolt circle. Also, I think they look pretty good. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
176 Posts
tranridgeline said:
Does anyone have 20x9.5 wheels? I'm wondering if it will rub?
Mine are 20x9.5 and they do not rub, but it is close. The tire size is 255-45-20. Not sure of the offset but will check for you. I did buy extra TPMS sensors to have put in and they work fine. I do not notice much difference in the ride from the stock wheels and tires.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nick said:
I did alot of research before I purchased after market wheels. Here's what I found. Everyone was trying to sell me wheels with 5x4.75 bolt circle. They all told me it was the same as 5x120mm. Baloney, 4.75 is not the same as 120mm. If you put the wrong bolt pattern on, eventually, you may do damage to the studs, and the wheels will just never fit properly. I know some people disagree, and that is fine. But, I stayed with the stock size, in order to prevent any damage and eventually void my warrenty. With all of the high tech gadgets and gizmos that goes to the wheels, I figured, why take a chance. Also, take a look at the size of the front calipers, man their really big. I found a dealer that agreed with me about the proper bolt pattern, and he found me a set of wheels that are 17x7.5 with 43mm offset (I know stock is 45mm) with a 5x120mm bolt circle. Also, I think they look pretty good. Good luck in your search.
any pics available for us to look at ??

·
Registered
53 Posts
GOD no :eek: , do not do a staggered wheel setup as it may affect the ITM II system greatly. Same circumference tires has been extrememly critical on other torque managment systems that Borg Warner makes.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
H2OMan said:

Mine are 20x9.5 and they do not rub, but it is close. The tire size is 255-45-20. Not sure of the offset but will check for you. I did buy extra TPMS sensors to have put in and they work fine. I do not notice much difference in the ride from the stock wheels and tires.
According to the tire/wheel calculator at http://www.1010tire.com your combination is .5 inches SMALLER in diameter than the factory combination. So your clearance should have improved slightly. Your speedometer should also read 1.732% faster than before.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts