Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed my tailgate was rusting started looking around and its rusting it quite a few places.
Already had a price quote for the tailgate and it will be $850 just for that!
ImageUploadedByAG Free1430162940.026727.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1430162950.925380.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1430162962.310228.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1430162973.661469.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1430162984.096369.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1430162994.681953.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1430163004.332937.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ImageUploadedByAG Free1430163061.490211.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1430163071.325314.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1430163081.522567.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1430163094.943371.jpg
Those last 2 under the hood were the best I could get but most of the metal under the hood is coated like that.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Better check your radiator fittings.

Oh yeah it's incredibly rust covered down there. Haven't got a good look at the fittings yet though.

I'm thinking about just trading it in. May be going for a Fit. Maybe an HR-V. 95% of the time it's just me in the car driving to work. It's nice having the RL but that's a want. My actual needs, on the other hand, the Fit actually meets them. And I think a set of snow tires in the winter will do just fine.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Oh yeah it's incredibly rust covered down there. Haven't got a good look at the fittings yet though.

I'm thinking about just trading it in. May be going for a Fit. Maybe an HR-V. 95% of the time it's just me in the car driving to work. It's nice having the RL but that's a want. My actual needs, on the other hand, the Fit actually meets them. And I think a set of snow tires in the winter will do just fine.

Consider what I've suggested to others..... shop for a good, fairly low mileage used Ridgeline in mild climate areas (SouthWest States?) & travel to buy. The travel budget is money well spent. It will look like new compared to the one you have. My '06 RTL (150K miles) has zero rust, and it has never been garaged. Lots like that out there. I'm just sayin'.......

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I know. I'm going to stop at the shop and see what they estimate to fix the other spots. I'll try to get a look at the fittings tomorrow afternoon after work.

What's the best way to get good pictures of down there?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts
Personally I never got a good look while it was in the truck, and once I did a fluid test, and found ATF in the coolant, I changed the Radiator out. Once out, it visibly looked fine so, looking with a phone on a selfie stick, a scope camera, and having been in there twice in the past 18 months(replacement radiator failed) in from the top, everything off. Straight down over the fans

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I will see what I can get after work. Hopefully it will be nice and sunny out when I get done.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I took a cell phone and blindly went from the top and took random pics on both sides. I eventually got a few good ones.

I had a 2008 fit and wish that I had kept it. If you get one check out the forums. I heard the new fits have had quite a few problems.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
Doesn't Honda have an anti-corrosion warranty of like 6 years and 80,000 miles? If your 2010 is under the mileage, I think you have a case to take it to a Honda dealer to get it fixed.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used my iPhone and took video of the fittings.

Driver side:

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Passenger side:

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doesn't Honda have an anti-corrosion warranty of like 6 years and 80,000 miles? If your 2010 is under the mileage, I think you have a case to take it to a Honda dealer to get it fixed.
Its 5-Year/Unlimited-Mile Corrosion Limited Warranty

I have 72,000 miles and this would be year 5 so I think I'm out of luck

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Its 5-Year/Unlimited-Mile Corrosion Limited Warranty

I have 72,000 miles and this would be year 5 so I think I'm out of luck
I'd be stopping by the dealer anyway to plead my case..... if you are anywhere near (just beyone a few months?) the 5 year warranty, they may consider a good faith warranty repair.... or at least share the cost. Can't hurt to ask.

FYI, I got an entire convertible top for my S2000 that way (out of warranty but still picked up by Honda.... not the dealer, but the regional guy authorized).

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Driver's side looks pretty typical to me... no worries in my opinion. The pass side images are too sketchy to judge..... if you've got any swelling/flaking/bad-stuff going on with the washer there, it's time to take preemptive action.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd be stopping by the dealer anyway to plead my case..... if you are anywhere near (just beyone a few months?) the 5 year warranty, they may consider a good faith warranty repair.... or at least share the cost. Can't hurt to ask.

FYI, I got an entire convertible top for my S2000 that way (out of warranty but still picked up by Honda.... not the dealer, but the regional guy authorized).

They are seeing if they can get the tailgate covered but he said he wouldn't count on it. He said they would put it through though and see what they could do.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm going to get an estimate Friday morning to see what they say about all the other rust spots.
On one hand I like the Ridgeline and I would like to keep it but if it's rusting like this already, even if I get it taken care of, what if it comes back worse if they don't actually get it all.. And if the tailgate is rusting what if it happens again somewhere else noticeable on the truck. Plus I have to worry about the radiator possibly killing my transmission at any given time.
If I get the Fit I have a 5 year newer vehicle, new car warranty, and over double the gas mileage, paid off in less than a year, lower insurance premium...

I made up a spreadsheet and even having the Ridgeline paid off and adding in the prices so far to fix up the Ridgeline, the Fit would still save me $3000 over the next 3 years and that's if fuel stays at $2.50 a gallon, we all know that's not happening. So if fuel prices go up I'd save even more.

Not sure what to do yet. I like the Ridge but should I stick it out for the problems of get something new....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts