Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the adjustment mechanism on the ‘19 RTL-E adjust both the low AND high beam height together, or just one or the other? I changed my factory high beam bulbs to LED bulbs but then they seemed to be a bit low. This might be due to the fact that the new LEDs have the diodes in the 3 and 6 o’clock positions. So, using the adjusting screw (mechanism) for right and left lights I raised the high beams. It seems that the low beam height was raised as well even though there is no separate adjustment for them. Anyone have any wisdom on this?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,894 Posts
Per Honda Service Express procedure, yes, one adjustment for the entire assembly on each side; adjustment procedure is based on low beam aimed at target.

IMO you're likely to never get proper beam dispersion with an LED substituted for OEM non-LED …. laws of physics vs the inherent difference in the exact position of the light source between the two types. The reflector / projector / housing is designed specifically for the OEM spec bulb to achieve the correct beam pattern, always, on all vehicles.

FYI your RTL-E has among the best headlights of all vehicles rated by IIHS. IMO anything you do to alter them will result in degradation of overall performance.

Reactions: tmz and zroger73

·
Registered
86 Posts
IMO, all LED bulbs are not created equal. I went with LED hi beams from Xenon Depot, they are super bright, much brighter than the OEM's, and I have no issues with beam height.

·
Administrator
16,066 Posts
@ERS10509, which LED's did you go with? I have a set of @Diode Dynamics SL1 9005 high beams on the way.

I asked for a free set in exchange for reviews a few weeks ago, but they never got back with me and I'm anxious to try them.

According to the specs, the output is 1,630 lumens which is slightly less than the 1,700 lumens of the factory halogens.

It is my understanding that the LED's should normally be positioned in the 3 and 6 o'clock positions and the SL1's allow for independent rotation of the LED's and housings to maintain this position in headlight housings where the headlight locks in place at a different angle.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
…. I have a set of @Diode Dynamics SL1 9005 high beams on the way.

I asked for a free set in exchange for reviews a few weeks ago, but they never got back with me and I'm anxious to try them.
….
I'll look forward to reading your 'un-sponsored' critical review - please mention a link in this followed thread so we don't miss it ;)

·
Administrator
16,066 Posts
The @Diode Dynamics SL1 9005 LED high beams seem to be a no-go. They won't go down into the sockets far enough to be able to turn and lock into place on my '19 RTL-E. The factory Sylvania halogens work with no problem. @JJkroch, HOW did you manage to get them in your '19 RTL-E?

·
Registered
711 Posts
We are using Cougar Motor 9005 Led headlight bulbs, 9600Lm in the Pilot and Ridgeline high beams. Working great so far. Each bulb has 4800 lumens plus they are fan less and color matches the low beams.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zogr73 - I bought Xenon Depot's 9005 Extreme LED Pro (high beams) and H8 Extreme LED Pro bulbs (fogs). They both provide excellent illumination in terms of color temp and brightness matching the light quality of the factory low beams. I wasn't happy with the yellowish color or brightness of the factory bulbs. Despite my question about aiming, the high beams DO light up the road quite well, it's just that there seems too be a concentration (sort of a "pool") of brightness ~100' ahead of the vehicle with high beams on that gives the appearance that the bulbs are aimed low.

BTW, the Xenon depot bulbs I mentioned above are finless with flexible heat sink fins. They fit easily in the available space. I did find the fogs challenging to replace simply because of their awkward location.

·
Registered
86 Posts
BTW, the Xenon depot bulbs I mentioned above are finless with flexible heat sink fins. They fit easily in the available space. I did find the fogs challenging to replace simply because of their awkward location.
Yes, just about everyone here had scratched hands from installing the fogs!

Reactions: tedschade

·
Administrator
16,066 Posts
I'll look forward to reading your 'un-sponsored' critical review - please mention a link in this followed thread so we don't miss it ;)
Unfortunately, I'm having to send them back. The reason is in the post below:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm having to send them back. The reason is in the post ….
Thanks for the update.

Just curious, what made you consider the swap? Color of light or ….?

·
Administrator
16,066 Posts
1. Color mismatch between the factory LED low beams and halogen high beams.
2. Instant response of LED's compared to the "fade in/out" of halogens.
3. Modern look of LED's compared to the low-end, dated look of halogens.

All three of my motorcycles/scooters have full-LED lighting. My RDX had full-LED headlamps. I got used to this.

I am NOT interested in "upgrading" for performance - the factory halogen high beams are more than adequate for visibility and probably better than most aftermarket LED retrofits (LED's may appear brighter because they're whiter even when they're not and you can't trust the output ratings on most LED's because there is nobody to regulate the manufacturer's claims). @Diode Dynamics publishes the output of their SL1 9005 LED's at 1630 lumens, which is slightly less than output of the factory halogens at 1700 lumens. I believe these LED manufacturers that are claiming 2-4x the output of a similar halogen bulb are exaggerating/lying.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Got ya and understand / agree.

No question the OEM aren't color matched / 'LED white' but they don't seem as off / yellow as many others I've seen. I've long run Sylvania Silverstar 9005 (not the 'ultra', 'xtravision', 'zxe' etc) in my Fords, enjoying better than OEM color with good life and performance, and the RTL-E seem very similar in color. Do you think Honda may use a similar spec OEM bulb (as opposed to a 'basic' 9005 which tend to be a bit warmer color)?

Or do you think there might be a bit of color benefit swapping to the 'standard Silverstar'?

In any case, all three of the factors you mention are still in-play with any halogen.

·
Administrator
16,066 Posts
The factory high-beam bulb appears identical to the Sylvania "basic" 9005 in appearance and specification.

My brother and I both used the original Sylvania Silverstars when they came out in the early-2000's, but switched back to OE bulbs after experiencing short life (< 1 year).

Given my experience with "whiter" halogens years ago, I have no desire to try them again.

After my experience with the @Diode Dynamics SL1's, I have little desire to try any other LED retrofits.

I do very little driving at night, anyway - this was mostly just a pet project. I'll probably just leave them as Honda designed them - it's hard to improve on headlamps that already have the highest-possible rating from the IIHS to begin with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts