Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Enounter with the Air Bag Developers

We had an enlightening and delightful encounter at Sam's Club the other day. We had just parked and were stepping away from our Ridge when I noticed two men approaching with big grins and I heard one of them say, "There's a Ridgeline." I responded, as I always do, with an offer to show it off.

They told us they were on the air bag design team at AutoLiv and this is the first Ridge they'd seen on the road.

I asked if they'd heard that the Ridge was the first truck ever to win a 5 Star rating for safety. Again they beamed and said yes and that it was largely due to the work they'd done with the air bags.

They told us Honda sent them a full prototype a couple of years ago and everyone had to sign a strict non-disclosure until it was released. They were most impressed with Honda above other car manufacturers. They said Honda sent out officials and had them deploy every air bag.

They said the drape or curtain air bags above the doors, unlike the rest of the air bags, are designed to stay inflated for two to three minutes with the goal of keeping passengers from ejecting in the event of a roll over.

It was fun talking to them. We learned more about our great truck and how our hometown had a critical piece of the design process. On top of that, we obviously made their day.

I love this truck.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They didn't say, but I don't think so or we would have gotten some more questions from them. They were just proud of their work and glad to see one on the road.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What a great opportunity to just run into the developers like that! I'm surprised at the length of time they mentioned for the upper air bags staying deployed. It seems like most rollovers would be over long before that. Anyway, good to know they thought of keeping them inflated for a longer period.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ridgeman said:
Would you mind sharing your hometown?
Ogden, Utah.

Wow, what luck. Today we went to Pep Boys to buy more stuff for our truck. Hubby came out to find a female employee circling our truck. It turns out she works at AutoLiv too and worked on the Ridgeline products. This it the first Ridge she's seen. She was very impressed. We got to show off the tonneau cover (Retrax) and the back up camera too.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
danimal said:
if the airbags are inflated for 2-3 minutes, does that make it hard to get out in the event of a fire?
Gee, I don't know.

L

·
0 Posts
Re: Enounter with the Air Bag Developers

Truckin' said:
We had an enlightening and delightful encounter at Sam's Club the other day. We had just parked and were stepping away from our Ridge when I noticed two men approaching with big grins and I heard one of them say, "There's a Ridgeline." I responded, as I always do, with an offer to show it off.

They told us they were on the air bag design team at AutoLiv and this is the first Ridge they'd seen on the road.

I asked if they'd heard that the Ridge was the first truck ever to win a 5 Star rating for safety. Again they beamed and said yes and that it was largely due to the work they'd done with the air bags.

They told us Honda sent them a full prototype a couple of years ago and everyone had to sign a strict non-disclosure until it was released. They were most impressed with Honda above other car manufacturers. They said Honda sent out officials and had them deploy every air bag.

They said the drape or curtain air bags above the doors, unlike the rest of the air bags, are designed to stay inflated for two to three minutes with the goal of keeping passengers from ejecting in the event of a roll over.

It was fun talking to them. We learned more about our great truck and how our hometown had a critical piece of the design process. On top of that, we obviously made their day.

I love this truck.
Great story Truckin'. Thanks for sharing. :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
danimal said:
if the airbags are inflated for 2-3 minutes, does that make it hard to get out in the event of a fire?
I think that it was mentioned it was only the side curtain airbags. These only come down about halfway across the door, so I would think that you could get out by ducking under them, and perhaps pushing the up out of your way.

That being said, fires are very uncommon in car accidents. They make great movies and TV but it just doesn't happen that often.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
captmiddy said:
That being said, fires are very uncommon in car accidents.
Except on a racetrack, where they are very common, even though a racecar's fuel system is designed to be significantly safer than what's in a passenger car.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
shovelhd said:
Except on a racetrack, where they are very common, even though a racecar's fuel system is designed to be significantly safer than what's in a passenger car.
Yup, and a lot of those fires are friction fires not fuel fires caused by extremely high speed and some part failing such as tires, or fenders being crashed in the constant bumps between cars on the track. How often do people in the real world go around bumping into each other to the point of physically degrading the performance of the vehicle to be unsafe and yet continue to drive that vehicle?

Racing is an extreme condition and comparing a race car to a passenger car would be like comparing a Sopwith Camel to an F15. Yes they are both flighing machines but that is pretty much where the comparison ends. And at least in this case, you can say both were designed for air combat.

It still doesn't change the reality that a majority of car accidents happen where no flames are involved. It is a rare case in real life, it is the norm on TV for dramatic reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Junior Member Join Date: Feb 2006

Re: Front Airbags not working....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well my mother bought a Ridgline in June and was in a front end impact traveling at over 40 miles and hour when she impacted the other on coming truck and her front airbags did not deploy at all. There was damage done to the passenger side and that side curtain did not deploye either. What did deploye was the side curtain air bag on the drivers side that had no damage to the truck.The force and direct blow from the curtain air bag to my mothers head as left her with a mild form of brain damage.A pretty sad deal since my mother is only 38 and was a health care provider herself who once took care of brain injury people and now has one herself.Iam very disappointed that Honda has been so slow to reply.I feel Honda is more concerned about the truck being a #1 seller than what took place to my Mom from their poor airbag system.So for the air bag system Iam far from impressed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts