Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My airbag light keeps coming on, from the diagnostics the shop did it seems to be the right from crash sensor(at least that where I want to start). It was coming and going for a while now its on all the time. Seemed to start when it was really wet outside.

The shop want 1 hour labour to change this(135$) looks like I should be able to do this myself. Any precautions to take before replacing this sensor?

Also any easy way to reset the trouble codes?

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
Bill52, crash sensor does not show up in the FSM when I do a search.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
My airbag light keeps coming on, from the diagnostics the shop did it seems to be the right from crash sensor(at least that where I want to start). It was coming and going for a while now its on all the time. Seemed to start when it was really wet outside.

The shop want 1 hour labour to change this(135$) looks like I should be able to do this myself. Any precautions to take before replacing this sensor?

Also any easy way to reset the trouble codes?
First thing I'd do Bill, is to make sure you aren't covered under warranty for your 2013. It used to be (& maybe still?) that passive restraint system components were covered MUCH longer than anything else on the vehicle. I think this is a federal mandate (or maybe just California???).
In any case, I'd check your warranty booklet, or ask the service department at your local dealer.

Now regarding your problem, there are many cases of "phantom" air-bag lights that are never really sorted out. I know I had one coming on after a smog check.... and the tech even advised me that it might come on "for a while" but would eventually go away. Which it "eventually" did, but it was intermittently on for several weeks. 'Never really figured that one out.

ALSO, it seems I remember that the seat belt system is tied to the airbag system, and if you have issues with your seat belts (even just dirty inside the latch), this can cause the airbag light..... my memory on that one is a bit fuzzy, but I believe you should check this out as a possibility.
But DO check on the warranty thing; it may be that you don't really have to figure it out, but rather just take it to the dealer & let them fix it under warranty.

Either way, if you find out what the issue is, please share your results. Thanks! :)

LATE EDIT: Thanks all for politely letting this slip (above).... I misread OP's "date joined" date (2013) for his model year (2006); kinda expains the lack of follow-up comments by others (regarding warranty). :act014:

· Premium Member
372 Posts
Mine has also been off and on since I bought my '06 a few months ago. I've noticed that if I park with the wheels straight, it won't be on when I start the truck Sometimes it comes on while I'm driving, sometimes it will be on and go off 20 minutes later. I gave up on tracing it and must live with it. It passed state inspection (annual required in NC) 3 weeks ago so they must not think its serious.

· Super Moderator
24,636 Posts

· Super Moderator
24,636 Posts
Replacing SRS components may be a bit tricky and obviously safety related. Read the warning in the FSM and heed the info before tackling this on your own.

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I kind of agree with you but really it is just unbolt one sensor and bolt and connect up the new sensor. No adjustment or setting I can see.I am mainly concerned with the airbag going off if I do something wrong.

Given the current state of affairs, I wouldn't consider DIY repair or replacement of anything related to the SRS other than a fuse.

· Super Moderator
24,636 Posts
I kind of agree with you but really it is just unbolt one sensor and bolt and connect up the new sensor. No adjustment or setting I can see.I am mainly concerned with the airbag going off if I do something wrong.
This, and also adversely affecting it so it doesn't go off when it should. (per the warning). I know nothing about these systems. Hope I don't have to face the same choice you do!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.