Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me a reasonable time for the AC in Auto mode to stay on recirc. The cab eventually get cool, but it seems to stay on recirc along time compared to other vehicles I've owned in the past. Butis is hot & humid in Arkansas at this time of year.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here in Central Texas where it's typically 90+ and 75%+ humitity ALL of my vehicles are always on recycle mode. Even in the winter - which it's not much winter here.

But of course I like it real real cold :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
rogerstruck said:
Can anyone tell me a reasonable time for the AC in Auto mode to stay on recirc. The cab eventually get cool, but it seems to stay on recirc along time compared to other vehicles I've owned in the past. Butis is hot & humid in Arkansas at this time of year.
I don't think the other people understood. When it is in AUTO, the recycle cycles on and off. I believe I would just trust the way the engineers set it up. If you think it doesn't stay on long enough, just switch to manual. I live in South Carolina and AUTO seems to work great. Today it was 101 and very humid. I had the AUTO air set at 73 and the recirc cycled about every 10 min and I was comfortable.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Wait, I don't understand. I thought the recirc stayed on all the time until you pushed the button to shut it off. I was not aware of a cycle it went through. I guess I'll have to look at the manual again. And correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that it suggested not have the recirc on if you could help it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you think about it - your home / apt AC is always on recycle mode. Since the house is mostly sealed it takes the inside air and re-cools it. When you are pulling outside air on an auto you can't cool it as much because you are starting with hotter air to begin with. The recyled air on most autos is pulled near the floor - which hot air rises and cool air sinks so you get more effective cooling.

In the full auto mode the AC will be on recycle when bring the temp down and when it reaches the temp you set it goes in and out of recycle mode. Just hit the auto button (temp control on the left) and dial in you temp.

After 2 weeks it's the best auto AC system I've had. Even beats the 02 Odysseys we have with dual air I think. Although it might have as much cooling capacity as the Odyssey or Pilot in a slightly smaller overall cab space, thus better BTU capacity divided by square footage.

What really determines cooling capacity is BTU output, which I can never find specs on cars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was not aware that the recirc turned off when in auto mode. In fact, I thought I might have a problem. But, it is very (!) hot here in Tucson these days. Also, we are in our monsoon season and it is humid to boot.

The owner's manual is emphatic that the air conditioner should be run in 'outside air' mode all of the time, except when passing through smokey areas. I was surprised, then, after reading the owner's manual, to see the auto mode using the recirc so much of the time.

Again, I didn't realize it turned itself off.

Thanks for this tread!!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yeah, recirc definitely turns itself off when in full-auto mode, but it's easy to get yourself out of full-auto mode without thinking about it. For example, if you decide to adjust the fan speed, or the "mode" (defrost, floor, etc.), then you're no longer in auto mode. If you take it out of auto mode when the recirc button is on, well, the recirc button will stay on! It's the same way the auto mode works in my Insight, only much, much better (I get cold in a hurry in this truck!).

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1 Posts
rogerstruck said:
I just bought my RTL today, Here in Alabama its hot!!! I hope it doesn't turn off until winter arrives. But I get the message, better on to much here then not enough.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Heh. I was driving home from work today (working on a Saturday sucks by the way) and, solely because of this thread, kept a half-eye on the recirc light while my AC was on auto. Yes, indeed, the recirc does turn off after a while. I assuming the "while" is as it approaches the set temperature. It was pretty mild here in beautiful California today so it only took about five minutes or so before the recirc turned off and I sat comfortably in (what I assume to be) 74 degrees. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts