Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the climate control and AC temperature yesterday with a digital thermometer and also with infra red thermometer. I set the knob to "LO" (should be 57 deg F). The air output temperature at the register just to the right of the steering column was reading 57. The ambient temp was 89. This was 5 min into my driving the truck. I then set the thermostat to Auto 70, and it maintained that temp setting. Very cool! ;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
I feel that the Ridge is really good at keeping an accurate temp. I have had a lot more expensive vehicles that were no where as good as the ridge with climate control.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It's as accurate as the speedometer, which is dead-nuts on.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Thank you Tex!! I went out and got my own digital thermometer and it was within ±2° so I'm really happy it's that accurate!! Very Cool Indeed. :D

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Has anyone tested the accuracy of the outside temperature sensor? I have some question about it's accuracy.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Only against a local radio station - and it's always within two degrees.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Truckin' said:
Has anyone tested the accuracy of the outside temperature sensor? I have some question about it's accuracy.
The offset is adjustable. But the problem is... I don't think they will ever be 100% accurate. Because in traffic it can be effect by the cars infront of you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Speaking of Climate control, I finally took a look at the A/C compressor to watch and see which modes it is engaged in. I have been suspecting that the AC is engaged more than the little round display indicates-- and I was right.

For some reason, the Honda engineers have decided that if you turn on the Fan only (from the all OFF position) , the AC compressor is engaged too. Now, I suppose this is to allow the system to actually maintain the temperature settings dialed in, however I would expect the "AC ON" text to be displayed in this condition as well--but NOT.

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but if I turn on the Fan, I don't expect the temperature to be maintained to the display setting...likewise, if I turn the A/C on, I would expect the temperature to be reasonably controlled.

So, when I was trying to be easy on the engine during some early breakin (less than 500 miles) mountain driving, I was actually running the A/C with the windows down. :mad:

I think it is Really Stupid of the engineers to hide this "feature" from us. I would expect that if the AC compressor is engaged, the "AC ON" should be displayed no matter what mode I have the system in.

So, the only way I found to run in "Fan" mode, is to make sure you press the AC button TOO, until the "AC OFF" indicatior is displayed. Just Stupid.

No wonder many people here have been questioning their gas mileage results. I bet they were running the A/C and didn't even know it. Maybe Honda fell for their own fault and got so worried about the gas mileage figures, they removed the Trip/Mileage Computer screen from the NAV system to cover up their own fault.

With so many really nice engineering features included in the Ridge, I didn't expect such a goofy bug.

Is my Ridge broken? Take a look and see if I am totally off base here.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If I'm running with the windows down, which is most of the time, I have the climate control off.

·
Registered
146 Posts
jeffiam said:
Ive always pushed mode to ac off before running the fan. seemed appropriate. :eek:
I guess I didn't think I had to do that since the system was fully off before hitting the fan speed up button. Why hit two buttons when one will do? Oh well, I'm a computer programmer by profession and hate to see things hard wired in what I consider non-intuitive ways.

I might just be sensitive this kind of quirky engineering, driven by a marketing angle. My first car was a 1969 Olds Delta 88 with a "Rocket 350 V8" That car had a similar quirk with the A/C. I figured out that the relay that was used to energize the A/C compressor was wired by the factory to self latch in the ON position. So, if you ever turned on the A/C, the compressor would stay running until you shut off the engine! ( I soon clipped one wire to keep that from happening)

After some serious research, I discovered that it was a design change as too many "old farts" complained that the car "surged" when the compressor cycled off and on :p so they just defeated the problem at the source! You would think that a V8 would not be hindered much by the A/C

Well, as soon as the service/electrical manuals I ordered come in from Helm, I am gonna take a stab at creating a simple mod to make all four (@#$$#$) door locks unlock when going to park. My passengers feel like jailbirds for those short, few seconds I am fumbling for the door unlock switch.

·
Registered
460 Posts
look at this way, you only have to hit the fan button for the ac to come on. atleast thats what i do. i think its designed that way because honda assumes most people will use in ac mode rather than fan mode. its convenient where im at in texas anyway. i just reach over and hit the fan button and the ac is on. if i don't use ac ive got the passenger and back window cracked for air. i rarely use the fan........and big 10-4 about those door locks!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts