Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless I have the recirc on, the air coming out of the A/C is really not that cold. Yes, I have it set all the way to the left.

Is there a temperature the air should be coming out of the vents?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Crispy said:
Unless I have the recirc on, the air coming out of the A/C is really not that cold. Yes, I have it set all the way to the left.

Is there a temperature the air should be coming out of the vents?
I don't remember the actual temperature, but I think it should be in the high 60's to low 70's.

You can get a cheap thermostat that has a long shank (looks like something you'd use when checking the temperature of a turkey in the oven). You place the shank in one of your vents and the gauge faces out so you can read it. Then you can monitor the temperature and have good details if you have to take it in for service.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The AC isn't that powerful in the RL.

As for measuring it, remember the cooling capacity is a function of both the temp of the cooled air and the volume of air.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Crispy, I've got the black Ridge and it's always a hundred degrees inside when left out in the sun! I typically press the unlock button three times while walking up to it and all four windows roll down before I jump in. It helps a little. I had limo tint placed on the two rear windows and rear slider and 15% put on the two front one's and this helped as well. Can't wait for winter!!! It may be the type of freon they use on all air conditioners now days. :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
I haven't put a thermometer in my Ridgeline to check the temperture but my truck can get cold. For the last month the temperture has been starting no lower than 80 degrees and up to 110 degrees. When the temperture is 100 and the humidity is 90+ then recirculate. Why bring in all that hot air.

It's been hot in South Texas this summer, 96 degrees today and a hurricane is on the way.

I'll check out the tempeture tomorrow and see how cold (cool) it gets if it's in the middle nineties. I set mine on 78 degrees most of the time and my Grandson who works with me set's his on 74 degrees.

Tiger

L

·
0 Posts
5S Dude said:
Crispy, I've got the black Ridge and it's always a hundred degrees inside when left out in the sun! I typically press the unlock button three times while walking up to it and all four windows roll down before I jump in. It helps a little. I had limo tint placed on the two rear windows and rear slider and 15% put on the two front one's and this helped as well. Can't wait for winter!!! It may be the type of freon they use on all air conditioners now days. :D
Try this next time you are approaching your RL. Press the unlock button and immediately release it. Press it again but this time hold it and the windows will come down. Keep your finger on it until the desired amount of window is opened then release the button. Now you only have to push once and hold instead of pushing three times.
:D :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just returned from a 2,400 mile trip -

Left Taos, New Mexico - 93 degrees
Arrived Price, Utah 95 degrees
Arrived SLC 98 degrees
Arrived Miles City, Montana 98 degrees
Arrived Gilette, Wyoming 105
Arrived Denver 93
Arrived back in Taos 90

The entire way we had ours set on dual and generally around 68-69 after the truck got cooled down and we were on the road for 30-45 minutes. No problems with the A/C. It just cranked out nice cold air the entire trip. When we first got in the truck we usually sat it on 60 and then gradually cranked it up to the above. I have NO complaints with the A/C but then it was hot but a DRY hot and I think that makes a difference.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's been 90 and above where I live for the past week or more. I've had the temp setting turned to Auto @ 78 because it gets too cold anywhere below that. I agree with DoctorJ that the best way is just to leave it at auto (assuming you don't have an RT) and let HAL figure recirc or not out for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
R134a just doesn't put out that good COLD air that most of us remember from R12. just remember to tell your grandkids about the good old days when AC was really cold!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Whaleya said:
The AC isn't that powerful in the RL.

As for measuring it, remember the cooling capacity is a function of both the temp of the cooled air and the volume of air.
I hate to disagree but I have found myself redirecting the vents around the steering wheel to keep my hands from getting too cold. At least in mine, the AC works great :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
doubledutyemt said:
R134a just doesn't put out that good COLD air that most of us remember from R12. just remember to tell your grandkids about the good old days when AC was really cold!
Believe it or not, the AC on my S2000 is VERY cold.
I know ealier R134a equiped cars weren't very cold... but the newer ones are pretty cold.

Color of your vehical will make a huge difference in the effectiveness of the AC inside the cabin.

Those that are having "issues", do you own darker cars?

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I'M STILL EXPERIMENTING WITH THE CLIMATE CONTROL FEATURES AND NOTICED THAT IF YOU SET IT TO THE LOWEST SETTING, IT GETS PRETTY COOL! FOR LOS ANGELES THAT IS! :D

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Ours is plenty cold. The only time it hasn't cooled the truck down consistently is the few days we've had triple digits. On those days it makes it comfortable and bearable. On any other day it gets TOO cold if it's left on the Lo setting. However, there is no such thing as too cold according to DH.

In addition, this has the most powerful blower of any car we've ever owned. It gets the air moving on "Fan Speed 7."

Let's remember the days before air conditioning when you had to roll your windows down and still die of the heat.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It does take a while to cool down when the car is heat soaked, but after its cooled down, takes about ten minutes. I would not need a gun rack if I was a hunter,I could just crank the auto temp to 60 and hang the rifles on my nipples.

·
Registered
114 Posts
STEVE FROST said:
It does take a while to cool down when the car is heat soaked, but after its cooled down, takes about ten minutes. I would not need a gun rack if I was a hunter,I could just crank the auto temp to 60 and hang the rifles on my nipples.
That's going to leave a mark... :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts