Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This install went smoothly at and easy, deliberate pace. We were done in about 40 minutes.

The brace parts were not labeled correctly in the bags. It should have said Front brackets A & B to match the instructions (downloaded from HandA), but it was easy to figure out. The two outside brackets are threaded, the middle one is unique and the four others are the same.

The pen mark for the center stopper looks off center, but that is only because of my camera angle. The stopper just presses on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the delicate part of the install, for which the special clip removal tool helps you from ripping up the rubber moulding. These clips are discarded. New ones are supplied.

The fuzzy pic of the tool is not of one of the clips being removed, it was just to show what the tool looks like. Only the four outermost clips come out.

Then you just pop the six square grommets in the holes under the moulding.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My nephew put the masking tape all along the front rather than using short strips. It's there to avoid scratching the hood with the brackets. It allows you to slide the brackets into place while you mark the location of the clear tape that will stay under each bracket.

He placed each clear tape strip as he removed the masking tape. We rotated our tape a quarter turn from what the directions said. Sliding the brackets back onto the final taped edge was a snug fit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put each bracket back in place and start the screw under the moulding without tightening all the way. Then attach the air deflector to the five middle brackets with the clips. The outside two brackets are attached with screws using the white collars. Go back under the moulding and tighten all the screws under the hood. Install the four outside clips to reattach the moulding and you're done!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why thank you. I worried about posting too much detail for a relatively easy install.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Nice job Truckin'. I also installed my hood deflector today, took me about 60 minutes (i'm not too mechanically inclined....and need to read directions more carefully!). In the end, I think it adds a nice touch to the truck. I know your pics will make it easier for the next installer!

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Thanks for posting such a thourough summary of this install. I agree with the poster that said pictures are better. The more the better.

The deflector looks good. Still haven't decided if I am going to take the plunge or not.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Very well done post. Thank you.

·
Registered
646 Posts
What percentage do you guys think these deflectors reduce the number of bugs hitting the windshield?

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We didn't have our truck long enough before putting the deflector on to make a comparison. Our bugs are just getting thick now. The other evening at dusk we got splattered like crazy. The whole front end of the truck was full of yellow splats. Did any miss the windshield because we had a deflector on? I don't know. We would have needed much more than that little strip of plastic to make a noticeable difference.

For me, the air deflector is more for looks. I like the black accents that we've added to our truck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My deflector does a good job limiting the amount of love bugs and other insect killings here in Florida. A few times I have also noticed dirt from trucks that is "swept over" the truck rather than hitting the windshield.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have an engineer buddy who used to do wind tunnel testing for Toyota. He claims that in the old days when vehicles were all the same shape and gas was 99 cents a gallon an air deflector may have streamlined a vehicle's profile and actually reduced wind resistance and deflected bugs over the windshield. Today, so much testing goes into the aerodynamic design of a vehicle (for noise and fuel economy) that adding a deflector can only undo what the designers spent alot of time and money to shape correctly. For example, he claims the little nubs on the top of your Ridgelines side view mirrors are for air flow noise reduction!

He says if you like how they look, go for it. You won't damage anything, but if you are hoping to improve air flow over and around your vehicle for bug deflection or fuel economy you are probably not going to improve on the original design. He admits it will protect the small area the deflector actually covers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Excellent post... Did mind today, took about 1:15, but I was fighting some wind. Got mine from Collegehills. Downloaded their instructions, which seem like "official" Honda install instructions. Step 12 reads: "Install the center bracket over the hood around the protective tape. Push the center bracket against the hood while you install the screw". There ain't no flipping center screw! It just presses on. Maybe that was my extra 15 minutes... trying to search down that extra 5 x 13 MM screw.

Off to do the .. running boards, rear view camera, body molding, door visors, hitch, roof rack, day/night mirror, metallic trim and fog lights...good thing I am off next week. Did the Under-Seat cargo Tray today as well, that was a tough one.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Michael said:
Excellent post...

Did the Under-Seat cargo Tray today as well, that was a tough one.
Thanks. I know a few photos can take the guess work out of what they written instructions are trying to explain. You should have seen my confusion over the tailgate seal. . .

If the Under-Seat cargo tray taxed you, you'd better clear the weekend if you want to add the rear mud guards. The window vent shades are another tough one. . . Prepare yourself.

·
Premium Member
6,880 Posts
Great post Truckin! Thanks for the photos. I had thought about mounting one but we went with the string bikini look instead. :)

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump, it hasn't seen light of day in a long time.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bump for people who are adding air deflectors in 2008. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts