Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the air filter comaprable to any other honda out now?
I am in the process of purchasing an RL, hopefully an RT, but seems like most dealers hardly carry the RT model and mostly RTS and RTL. I would like to know if the RL has the same filter of the other honda i.e. Pilot, odys? So after purchase i can put in a K&N air filter.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
kanji said:
Does anyone know if the air filter comaprable to any other honda out now?
I am in the process of purchasing an RL, hopefully an RT, but seems like most dealers hardly carry the RT model and mostly RTS and RTL. I would like to know if the RL has the same filter of the other honda i.e. Pilot, odys? So after purchase i can put in a K&N air filter.
Not sure about the filter being the same as other honda models. Sure looks different than my '05 Ody so pretty sure they are not the same. As for K&N (I've posted this before but I'll copy here again), I've used them for decades without thought, just being a sheep falling for their marketing. Just recently I started to research the hell out of air filters. I've seen every comment, test and opinion about them posted on the net and there's alot, spent several months digging up all the info I could find. My conclusion, I will never use K&N again. It's not that they are so terrible but you get very little gain and at that it's only when you're rpms are quite high, 4000rpm or more the increased air flow they provide make any difference and again it's not much I've found. The downside is they don't filter as good, not by much, but paper media still does a little better job, contrary to what K&N says. They are also quite expensive although they claim they'll last 50,000 miles. With that info I decided to stick with traditional paper media but then I had to research which brand is the best for that, uhg, more researching. In the end I decided Wix will be the one I'll be using. So there you have my 2 cents, food for thought.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the info, i've been using K&N on all my vehicles that i've own, since i live in the desert and gets really dusty here with all the small bugs, pollen, and dust blown by windy conditions. if i use paper filters, i have to change the filter every 2.5 to 6 months and that gets really expensive.

L

·
0 Posts
A reliable source tells me the air filter for the Ridgeline is made just for the Ridgeline and not interchangeable with any other Honda product.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Be careful if you use an oil-coated type filter on cars with mass air flow sensors...the air passing through the filter takes some of the oil with it and can cause MAF issues. I've seen it happen first hand--one week after installing a K&N on my Mercedes E-Class, the car started acting goofy. Turned out to be a contaminated MAF.

Just my $0.02.

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, i know about the MAF sensors in or on top of the air box, i have two sensors on my 99' VW passat. it hasn't happened to me yet but i oil my filter enough so it wouldn't bleed excess oil and ruin the MAF sensor. I live in the desert north of Los Angeles and the season of Spring through Fall. It is sometimes windy and dusty in my area and filters starts to clog and replacing filters every 3 to 6 months gets expensive and gas prices is on a slow steady rise.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Keoni said:
Be careful if you use an oil-coated type filter on cars with mass air flow sensors...the air passing through the filter takes some of the oil with it and can cause MAF issues. I've seen it happen first hand--one week after installing a K&N on my Mercedes E-Class, the car started acting goofy. Turned out to be a contaminated MAF.

Just my $0.02.

Aloha,
Keoni
Good point. Happened twice to me. Once on my ML 430 after 10,000 miles using a new K&N and once on my Expedition after I recharged the filter with too much with oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have read so much about K&N filters.. Per: 968.NET Some say it is the best thing to do and some say why does Porscha not use them in there race cars???

I think that is a good point.

Matco Tools

P.S. Per my Mercedes techs, Know issue with to much air and the sensers get confused. Mercedes only like OEM... :D

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,288 Posts
kanji said:
thanx for the info, i've been using K&N on all my vehicles that i've own, since i live in the desert and gets really dusty here with all the small bugs, pollen, and dust blown by windy conditions. if i use paper filters, i have to change the filter every 2.5 to 6 months and that gets really expensive.
I too live in the "High Desert" in southern CA and I end up cleaning my wife's K&N Filter about every three months, because of the amount of dust. It makes a signficant difference in fuel economy (2mpg+), driving with a dusty/dirty filter rather than a clean one. Both my Civic and Del Sol use the same filter and if/when I get rid of the civic, I will be keeping both K&N filters. The key is oiling the filter and letting it setup for 24-48 hrs before installing, also only oiling the intake side of the filter media. Also I always wipe any excess oil off the rubber around the filter, at high heat it could want to run. I have about 75,000 on one filter and 50,000 on the other with no problems at all. I also have kept the old paper filter so when it gets in for a major service I have them replace the paper filter at that time and have kept a clean paper filter for recharge days. I have contacted K&N about the possiblity of an Oil Filter or even the Cold Air Intake but neither are available.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I agree with most of what Vertrkr posted.

It's my opinion that one of the WORST things you could do for your engine is use a K&N air filter.

#1 They are TERRIBLE filters. Read the air filter study they did on the GM Duramax engine. The K&N air filter allowed huge amounts of dirt to enter the engine. This results in significantly reduced engine life.

#2 There is absolutely ZERO evidence that a K&N air filter will increase performance on most modern vehicles. Nearly every OEM filter can flow more air than the engine could possibly use. The only way a K&N increases performance is if there's a restriction in the OEM filter.

Will a K&N filter flow more air than an OEM filter? Probably. But look at it this way... if your engine needs 500cfm of air at 7000RPM and the OEM filter can flow 1200cfm without significant restriction... what good is a filter that can flow 1500cfm? None, zero, zilch.

If you're looking to waste money at least waste it on something that won't cause long term damage to your engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts