Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
14,042 Posts
I’m going to keep all my paperwork because I think eventually there is going to be a recall on this.
THE GOOD NEWS IS...I have had my truck back for a week now and NO ISSUES.
My suggestion to all who are having this problem is to recommend to your service department at your dealer to start with the CMU.
Recalls are for safety-related issues. An alarm that goes off unexpectedly while the vehicle is parked is simply a nuisance.

Just to clarify...

"CMU" = Connectivity Master Unit - Mazda's term for "infotainment system"

"MICU" = Multiplex Integrated Control Unit - Honda's name for the "computer" that controls interior and exterior lighting, windows, horns, wipers, alarms, and turn signals.

Glad your issue seems to be resolved!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Recalls are for safety-related issues. An alarm that goes off unexpectedly while the vehicle is parked is simply a nuisance.

Just to clarify...

"CMU" = Connectivity Master Unit - Mazda's term for "infotainment system"

"MICU" = Multiplex Integrated Control Unit - Honda's name for the "computer" that controls interior and exterior lighting, windows, horns, wipers, alarms, and turn signals.

Glad your issue seems to be resolved!
Correct. MICU everyone.
Zrog you called it. I wish I hadn’t done the key module and instead gone straight to MICU.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loving the 2020 RTL-E, which I purchased Feb. 15. I do have one issue, and I see it seems to be a little common: the alarm goes off randomly. So far the dealer has replaced the master switch in the door, and it was quiet for a week. Then it started again at 6 a.m. today. I'm not confident the dealer will be able to fix it based on the very limited knowledge I have of electronics, but I love a good puzzle. Odd thing: It only goes off when it's parked in the driveway, close to the house, and only overnight. Probably just coincidence, but who knows. I welcome any thoughts/suggestions, and I hope to provide updates. Thanks, and I'm glad I found this group.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alarm went off on it's own 2 days ago and then my 2018 RTL-E would not start this morning. Replaced the FOB battery last week. Past couple of days, the remote start would not work. Now I know why. Battery was completely dead this morning. Jumped it and drove it to the Honda dealer where I bought it. 15k miles on it. I was hoping it was just the battery but after an hour, advisor came out and said it's the Control Unit. part# 38320T6ZA31. Battery would not hold a charge so they pulled the codes. To my shock and horror, he said the part is on national backorder with no ETA. said it could be a week or a month. Offered me a CRV as a loaner. What choice did I have? Took the loaner. They replaced a fuel injector last year. Cigarette lighter only works 50% of the time so they're going to look at that too. It's still under the original warranty but I'm glad I purchased the HondaCare extended warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take it somewhere and have them do a load test on the battery (pull the stuff covering it off at the house).
For those that have had this happen, and have had it repaired, has the repair not been permanent where the problem has reappeared?

Bill
I have this issue for about a month. I fiddled with the locking mechanism a bit slamming the hood down. It stopped for a bit. Then walking my dog, during our Covid isolation, I heard the alarm from outside my barn/garage. Before I could get there the battery was dead. In examining the hood locking mechanism I saw a dragon fly dead. I scraped out the body; removed the radiator plastic protector cover and air intake manifold and eventually took the battery out of the vehicle to recharge. Quite a chore. BTW - The battery would not charge inside while connected.

My take. The folks who had boards replaced etc. I’m almost sure it’s the hood alarm sensor. If my problem reoccurs, I will disconnect the alarm from the hood locking mechanism. Dealers charging big money to replace starter buttons and boards are wrong or crooked . Owners if charged, write Honda corperate. To me those repairs weren't needed. It’s a sensor problem. Probably dirty from road bugs, dust etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I am having the exact same problem with my 2017 Black Edition 32K. Dealer replaced the alarm twice still having the same problem as of today. :-(
Thank You @Lifesaver1 I requested Honda to replace the [Honda Smart Power Control Unit] under warranted. My alarm problem is fixed no more crazy random alarming for 2 months now.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thank You @Lifesaver1 I requested Honda to replace the [Honda Smart Power Control Unit] under warranted. My alarm problem is fixed no more crazy random alarming for 2 months now.
You're most welcome. These intermittent issues are a major pain to diagnose and get resolved. I should have mentioned that my first effort was to replace the push button starter. Did that myself with a YouTube video and it was easy. With discounted part, it was under $100. Unfortunately though, that didn't resolve the problem. The $800 fix that I posted has fully resolved the issue. I had to pay because I was out of warranty with over 60,000 miles at the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have this issue for about a month. I fiddled with the locking mechanism a bit slamming the hood down. It stopped for a bit. Then walking my dog, during our Covid isolation, I heard the alarm from outside my barn/garage. Before I could get there the battery was dead. In examining the hood locking mechanism I saw a dragon fly dead. I scraped out the body; removed the radiator plastic protector cover and air intake manifold and eventually took the battery out of the vehicle to recharge. Quite a chore. BTW - The battery would not charge inside while connected.

My take. The folks who had boards replaced etc. I’m almost sure it’s the hood alarm sensor. If my problem reoccurs, I will disconnect the alarm from the hood locking mechanism. Dealers charging big money to replace starter buttons and boards are wrong or crooked . Owners if charged, write Honda corperate. To me those repairs weren't needed. It’s a sensor problem. Probably dirty from road bugs, dust etc.
Toppsin I can tell you I tried everything.
Disconnecting the alarm sensor for the hood only stopped my alarm from going off, everything else still was flashing and shorting out. It was like there was a poltergeist in my truck.
(See my post for the whole sordid story)
They FINALLY replaced the”MICU” unit and problem solved. Almost 2 months now.
MICU" = Multiplex Integrated Control Unit - Honda's name for the "computer" that controls interior and exterior lighting, windows, horns, wipers, alarms, and turn signals.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts