Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow that is an expensive issue, you are very lucky that you are within warranty! Let us know if that fixes the issue, that seems like it would be totally unrelated to the security system though...
Three days with no issues so far, but last time it went over a week between problems so we’ll see.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hopefully I won't offend the gods that control the annoying alarm experiences by sharing my story but I have had experiences on several different occasions to those being described in this thread with my 2017 RTL-E.

Took it into the dealership and left it for several days and of course the alarm never went off while they had it. Based on previous experience with my first gen RL, I was sort of convinced it was a dying car battery issue due to the flickering and clicking dashboard sequence that I also was experiencing along with the alarm going off intermittently. I also tried swapping the battery in the key fob and eventually switched to the second key fob from my wife's key chain since she never drives the truck. The alarm did end up going off again while the truck was parked in the garage a few days later.

My windshield was severely cracked so about 2 months ago I paid the deductible and had it replaced. Along with the replacement, a full re calibration of the safety sensing system was performed after the new windshield was installed.

I haven't had any re occurrence with the alarm going off unexpectedly or flickering dashboard incidents ever since I got the new windshield installed. I don't know if the crack in the windshield was affecting the sensors in a way that was contributing to the problems I was having with the alarm and flickering dashboard but everything seems to be better for now. Of course my truck has been parked in the garage over the past several months much more than it ever was previously with the pandemic going on.

I admit that my experience doesn't really align well at all with the owners of new trucks that don't have any damage to their windshields...yet. I'm 100% with the other owners on this forum that are wondering/questioning what Honda is planning to do to attempt to address this issue. It certainly does seem to be a fairly common problem for many owners and does appear to be either some type of manufacturer defect or a very poor system design. What's also really frustrating is the dealerships at least in my area of the country don't seem to be networking very well to share common knowledge based on the complaints from owners to try to more quickly and effectively identify what needs to be done to fix it.

·
Administrator
14,919 Posts
I don't know if the crack in the windshield was affecting the sensors in a way that was contributing to the problems I was having with the alarm and flickering dashboard but everything seems to be better for now.
The only sensors for the alarm are simple switches that detect when the hood, doors, door locks, or trunk lid are opened. There are no interior motion sensors, audible glass breakage sensors, or physical shock sensors on the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well it's night 8 and no alarm sounding in the middle of the night, as per the original issue in my 2020 RTL-E so apparently it was the trunk radio sensor and assembly (both) replacement that did the trick. They did pull the error code, so that is the key and solved my issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine got back a few days ago and so far it has not went off again, but it sometimes would be 2-3 days so not out of the woods yet. It ended up being a tailgate radio chip, which is built into the tailgate latch and communicates to the security system. It through an error code, apparently telling the alarm that the door was being opened. It was just under $300 but of course covered under warranty. Anyone else have this issue?
I have a brand new 2020 Sport. The day after I brought it home I started having this alarm issue. Took it back to the dealer a few days ago and they said that the Security Radio/Tailgate Switch was the trigger. Technician said that the tailgate switch was barely making contact with the tailgate. They added a shim to the tailgate switch.

Brought it home today. Within an hour the alarm goes off. Grrrrrr

·
Registered
48 Posts
ATLRidge, same problem and issue...see my resolution, they have to replace the radio chip and assembly both. That is Honda's tech line's resolution, which they should follow and not cut corners with a brand new vehicle by putting in shims!

·
Registered
6 Posts
ATLRidge, same problem and issue...see my resolution, they have to replace the radio chip and assembly both. That is Honda's tech line's resolution, which they should follow and not cut corners with a brand new vehicle by putting in shims!
Thank you itsgotime. I will be having a 'nice' conversation with the service manager this morning. Glad I saw your post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They ended up replacing the whole assembly like they did on yours. I called the service manager directly to make sure he oversaw this personally. I've had it home for 24hrs now without the alarm going off. That is nearing a record.

The thing that bothers me about this is that it was a brand new truck. I have a hard time believing that it would all of a sudden have this issue as soon as I brought it home. It had to have happened on the lot.

·
Administrator
14,919 Posts
It had to have happened on the lot.
It may have and just sat there with a dead battery for days or weeks at a time only to get jumped for a test drive or rotation. Some dealers unlock their inventory during normal business hours and re-lock them before close. If it went off after hours, no one may have noticed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a first time Honda owner. I purchased my new 2020 RTL E on December 31 and I love it.. except the alarm. On the morning of January 2 right after arriving to work (first day driving it to work) I get a call asking if I got a new truck and that the alarm was going off. At lunch the same day it went off again, that is when I knew it was going to be a problem. Only time I would lock it after that was when I was at home to see how often it would go off. I took it to the dealership and they had it for three days. They told me the tailgate was locking and unlocking on its own so they replaced the tailgate latch assembly. I was skeptical as always and would only lock it at home until I was convinced it was fixed... well this morning about an hour and a half after coming home it went off again! The truck does not even have 1000 miles on it. Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this? I have read about other people having this issue but it seems they were the 2017 models. Please help!
Curious if you’ve gotten it fixed yet. I’m currently having the same problem. Day two in the shop...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Curious if you’ve gotten it fixed yet. I’m currently having the same problem. Day two in the shop...
I had the dealership change the control unit at the end of January. The alarm went off randomly one time about two weeks after I got it back. It was a really cold night and it was about an hour after driving and parking in the garage. Other than that I have not had an issue. I'm hoping it is fixed and not caused by the cold. I guess I'll find out this winter. I'm not sure what the part number was for the control unit. I can post that when I get home this afternoon. I think it was in the thread that has been suggested in this thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2020 Touring model has had the alarm go off 6 times in the last few months. Seems like after opening the trunk it goes off the next day or so. Always seems to be in the middle of the night and a real pain in the ---- Waiting for the service manager to get back to me with his suggestions

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my 2020 RTL-E for 12 days now and have had 2 instances of my alarm going off in the middle of the night. Taking my truck into the dealer tomorrow to have them look at it. Service rep said that they have not heard of any issues regarding this so maybe I need to be the one to tell the Honda Service department where they should look based upon what Ive read on here... Ill follow up once they tell me what they think it is and if it works. First time I about had a heart attack thinking someone was trying to break into my truck at 2am. After last night now Im just super aggrivated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my 2020 RTL-E for 12 days now and have had 2 instances of my alarm going off in the middle of the night. Taking my truck into the dealer tomorrow to have them look at it. Service rep said that they have not heard of any issues regarding this so maybe I need to be the one to tell the Honda Service department where they should look based upon what Ive read on here... Ill follow up once they tell me what they think it is and if it works. First time I about had a heart attack thinking someone was trying to break into my truck at 2am. After last night now Im just super aggrivated.
Had my truck to the dealer today and they think it is the tonneau cover not letting the tailgate close all the way. If it happens again they will replace switch in the tailgate. This is where my problem is so will try and hope for the best

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been going through the process at the dealer for my 2020 BE the last month for the alarm randomly sounding. First trip they reset the computer. Second trip they decided the window master switch was bad and ordered it. Third trip they replaced the window master switch. Last 2 nights the alarm has gone off at 11:30 pm (neighbors love me). Today they ordered a MICU. MICUs are backordered (for at least a month) because they are updating something in the part. I take that as an admission that they had an issue with the MICU. Hopefully getting the latest version turns out to be a good thing...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had my 2020 Touring to the dealer yesterday and they also ordered the MICU and said it would be at least 2 weeks for it to come in. Luckly for my neighbour the problem with mine is with the tailgate and turned off the auto lock on just the tailgate and hope that will stop the alarm from going off till repair is made. Funny they all seem to go of in the middle of the night. I say funny but light sleepers say otherwise

It was 4 days from when they thought it was the tonneau cover till the alarm went of again at 12:30PM. Dealer seems very concerned and hope it gets fixed soon

81 - 99 of 99 Posts