Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
I don't know if this is a good or bad thing but I found out something the other day that might interest some here. I had an extra key cut for my drivers door in case I get locked out of my truck. I did not have the key coded to start the truck. The blank that I had cut was the exact same key as the valet key but I busted all of the plastic off of the key. This unchipped uncoded key will only open the the drivers side door HOWEVER but it also turns off the alarm system when you unlock the door.

How does one go about re-activating your security alarm once it was deactivated by opening the driver's side door with the un-coded key?

I ask because my security alarm recently stopped working and coincidentally (or not) I also recently purchased (and tested) a valet key.

I recently purchased a '07 RTL that didn't come with a valet key.
At first the security alarm worked fine with no issues.
I went to the local Honda dealership and had a valet key made and tested it on the driver's side door.

I can't say with 100% certainty but I believe my security alarm not working issue began after I tested my new valet key. Now the alarm does not work at all.

I have a service appointment scheduled at the Honda dealership service center however if there's any way for me to re-enable/activate the alarm myself (beyond the standard pressing the key fob lock button twice) I'd like to try.

Any info and/or suggestions you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,119 Posts
See if this troubleshooting guide will help:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure if it will work but have you tried locking the door with the same key?
Yesterday I tried locking the door with the valet key however that did not resolve the issue. Thanks for the suggestion though.

See if this troubleshooting guide will help:
Didn't see a symptom item specific to my problem. As best I can tell the doors lock and unlock as they should.

I'll try the control unit test later this week and let you know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts
I read your first post again and do not see any symptoms reported. How do you know your security system is not working? Is the light blinking?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read your first post again and do not see any symptoms reported. How do you know your security system is not working? Is the light blinking?
When I hit the keyfob lock button twice I don't hear the short horn nor see the lights flash. Additionally I've intentionally performed actions that ordinarily would trip the alarm.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Check all the portals to make sure they are closed all the way. If you don't get a horn honk on the second click, you will have to do a process of elimination. Start with the hood, and then the trunk, bc any doors not closing should leave the interior light on which would be obvious. MTC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had my Honda services appointment yesterday.

After several diagnostics tests it turns out the issue is that a $29 driver's side door sensor is not recognizing when the door is locked thus preventing the security alarm from enabling.

They had to order the part and I was told I'd get a call today to bring my RL back in to have the part installed.

Will follow-up this post to confirm whether the repair resolved the issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem appears to be solved.

I had the part replaced today and so far so good.

The security alarm is now working normally.

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts
Thanks for the report. First issue with that sensor that I can recall reading about here. At least it was a cheap fix. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
According to the receipt, "Driver's door key cylinder inop.....tech replaced switch"

I believe the exact part number is 72182-SCJ-A01 Switch, L-Cylinder

·
Registered
203 Posts
I went to have an unchipped key made to open the door in a lockout situation and the place wouldn't do it. The lady said using such a key would damage the vehicle and they were not allowed to make them for that reason. Too chicken to chance it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts