Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the Honda feature of having all 4 windows go down at the touch of the button.
I want to get an alarm, mostly for the remote start as alarms no one cares about anyway!
Anyway I want the window down feature and do not want to carry 2 remotes(yes I know one is in the key, but I do not like that either!)

Has anyone had luck getting the window down feature to work on another remote? My area DEI rep says it would be about $300.00 as they need a module for each door, then the labor to install at each door panel.
Seems there should be one wire they could tap and use the OEM feature??
If anyone has had this done, please let me know specifics or a phone number of the dealer that did the work
Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
The Ridgeline, like most newer vehicles, uses a Multiplex wiring system. Instead of sending power to control the windows from the drivers door to the other doors, the security system just sends a 'window down' command digitally to the truck's communication bus. This reduces wiring (and therefore weight) and makes it easy for vehicle systems to interoperate, but it does make installation of aftermarket window control systems more difficult than you would think.

One thing that could be done, however, is to simulate rotation of the key in the driver's door lock cylinder. There are two signals that come from this switch... one closes when the cylinder is rotated clockwise, another closes when the cylinder is rotated counterclockwise. It wouldn't be that difficult to have the alarm trick the truck into thinking you are rotating the key to roll the windows up or down. (Press the alarm remote button twice, holding the second time.) Doing this, however, has the down side of causing the doors to unlock when rolling the windows down.

In the door, look for a 3-pin gray harness with Black/Red (Unlock) and Blue/White (Lock) wires. Ground to activate. The other side of this harness has White (Unlock) and White/Red (Lock) wires that go to the power window master switch (23-pin white harness), pins 21 (unlock) and 8 (lock).

·
Registered
484 Posts
djdj said:
Doing this, however, has the down side of causing the doors to unlock when rolling the windows down.
How is that a downside? If the windows are down, what good is a locked door? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
djdj said:
The Ridgeline, like most newer vehicles, uses a Multiplex wiring system. Instead of sending power to control the windows from the drivers door to the other doors, the security system just sends a 'window down' command digitally to the truck's communication bus.
Is there no way for someone to interface directly with the communication bus and send the window down/window up command via an aftermarket remote? I'm scheduled to have a remote starter installed and I was hoping to have the extra button programmed to close all windows.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ridged said:
Is there no way for someone to interface directly with the communication bus and send the window down/window up command via an aftermarket remote? I'm scheduled to have a remote starter installed and I was hoping to have the extra button programmed to close all windows.
A good shop can do it for you. Mine did:) PM me and I can give you the phone # of the installer and perhaps your shop can talk to mine:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your installer had a handshake piece that converted the Honda bus language into something the DEI alarm could understand? :confused: That I want, too. Keep us informed, ridged.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
TheRidgester said:
A good shop can do it for you. Mine did:) PM me and I can give you the phone # of the installer and perhaps your shop can talk to mine:)
I'll speak to my installer and if he hesitates on the window issue, I might take you up on your offer. Thank you!

outpost4, I will update this thread as things progress. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts