Registered
374 Posts
Ouch!

Thanks for the HEADs Up!

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,722 Posts
Hmmm, not a problem I've encountered .... I must be doing something wrong?

:LOL:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would any fine folk know how to remove this plastic perimeter trim so I can spray paint it ?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,722 Posts
Funny thing is that the cost of your bottle is probably less than mine......for the same volume
If you're paying more than what Talisker 10 goes for .... well, that's just criminal! But, such seems to be the madness these days.

(it's an oddball at 45.8%ABV / 91.6 Proof, but oh my, it's so very 'smooth and sanitizing' :LOL:)

---- Sorry, I couldn't resist, back to topic ----

·
Registered
427 Posts
Best not to keep your hand sanitizer in the vehicle. It is explosive and the heat created by sunshine may ignite.

·
Administrator
14,929 Posts
Best not to keep your hand sanitizer in the vehicle. It is explosive and the heat created by sunshine may ignite.
FACT CHECK! :)

First, it's impossible for the interior of a vehicle to reach the autoignition temperature of alcohol (689-750ºF) unless the vehicle is on fire. The boiling point of alcohol ranges from 173-180ºF. Hand sanitizer does not come in sealed, pressurized containers - as it heats up a very small amount of flammable vapor will vent from the bottle. This tiny amount of flammable vapor is far below the lower explosive limit. In order for hand sanitizer to cause an explosion, the interior of the vehicle and the bottle of sanitizer would have to exceed 173-180ºF long enough for the alcohol to actually boil and evaporate into the interior of the vehicle. Then, there would have to be an ignition source such as a spark or open flame. On top of all that, the concentration of alcohol vapor would have to be within its limits of flammability - too little or too much and it won't combust.

You might get a brief fireball if you quickly poured an entire bottle of hand sanitizer all over the interior of a vehicle, waited several minutes for it to evaporate, then opened the door and threw a lit match inside.

Now, with that said, there is a valid reason not to keep hand sanitizer in a hot vehicle. The alcohol will slowly evaporate first eventually leaving behind the other ingredients such as emollients, water, and gelling agents. Over time, the alcohol concentration will decrease and the hand sanitizer will become less effective. Depending on temperature and storage location, this could take anywhere from a few to several months during which time the hand sanitizer will generally have been used before it becomes ineffective.

·
Administrator
14,929 Posts
Thanks for the facts. Can't believe anything heard on the news.
Tell me about it. There's so much sensationalism, flat-out inaccurate, and politically-motivated reporting these days that I can hardly bear to voluntarily watch, listen to, or read any news. I consider all news that I can't reasonably avoid, throw out anything unimportant to me, and fact-check everything else. The gullibility of so many (including my own family) saddens and frightens me.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It will loose potency over time if kept in a hot vehicle or in direct sunlight, maybe the whisky would be a better product to have ...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tell me about it. There's so much sensationalism, flat-out inaccurate, and politically-motivated reporting these days that I can hardly bear to voluntarily watch, listen to, or read any news. I consider all news that I can't reasonably avoid, throw out anything unimportant to me, and fact-check everything else. The gullibility of so many (including my own family) saddens and frightens me.
Amen, bro............

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
443 Posts
FACT CHECK! :)

First, it's impossible for the interior of a vehicle to reach the autoignition temperature of alcohol (689-750ºF) unless the vehicle is on fire. The boiling point of alcohol ranges from 173-180ºF. Hand sanitizer does not come in sealed, pressurized containers - as it heats up a very small amount of flammable vapor will vent from the bottle. This tiny amount of flammable vapor is far below the lower explosive limit. In order for hand sanitizer to cause an explosion, the interior of the vehicle and the bottle of sanitizer would have to exceed 173-180ºF long enough for the alcohol to actually boil and evaporate into the interior of the vehicle. Then, there would have to be an ignition source such as a spark or open flame. On top of all that, the concentration of alcohol vapor would have to be within its limits of flammability - too little or too much and it won't combust.

You might get a brief fireball if you quickly poured an entire bottle of hand sanitizer all over the interior of a vehicle, waited several minutes for it to evaporate, then opened the door and threw a lit match inside.

Now, with that said, there is a valid reason not to keep hand sanitizer in a hot vehicle. The alcohol will slowly evaporate first eventually leaving behind the other ingredients such as emollients, water, and gelling agents. Over time, the alcohol concentration will decrease and the hand sanitizer will become less effective. Depending on temperature and storage location, this could take anywhere from a few to several months during which time the hand sanitizer will generally have been used before it becomes ineffective.
I agree with your point in general that hand sanitizer will not ignite from the heat of the sun!
But, the temperature in the car would have to be above the flash point temperature, not the boiling point temperature, to have sufficient alcohol concentration in the air to create a flammable mixture. For isopropyl alcohol that's around 55 F.

So as you would intuitively expect, you could hold a match or other ignition source close to an open bottle and get it to flash. But without an ignition source (flame or spark) there will be no fire. And with a closed bottle there will be no fire even with an ignition source.

·
Registered
225 Posts
2 screws under the rubber mat in front of shifter. Open center console door and pry away. Held by retaining tabs.

Not trying to get too far off topic here... but in that video, what is the "sensor" for? It's a push button for terrain setting on the RL.

·
Administrator
14,929 Posts
Not trying to get too far off topic here... but in that video, what is the "sensor" for? It's a push button for terrain setting on the RL.
Same thing as it is in the Ridgeline and Passport - the Intelligent Traction Management mode button. On FWD models like the one in the video, it turns on "snow mode" (starts the 6-speed transmission in 2nd gear and reduce throttle sensitivity).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Same thing as it is in the Ridgeline and Passport - the Intelligent Traction Management mode button. On FWD models like the one in the video, it turns on "snow mode" (starts the 6-speed transmission in 2nd gear and reduce throttle sensitivity).
Thanks zroger!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts