Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a bunch of front end work and went for new tires and an alignment. Of course, the alignment shop didn't torque my lower control arm bolts right. How do I know: the clunking is the same sound it made when I made that mistake. Why are they messing with my LCAs: I don't know. So basically because of some negligent mechanic work I have to jack my car up, untorque them so they can be seated right, apply vehicle weight, then retorque them.

My question: will this affect my alignment significantly? I really would prefer not to let them have their hands on my truck again and don't want to deal with the wait. @S.T.U.V I have to give you a shoutout since you have some of the most experience and informative front end posts.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
It can ever so slightly. The mounting points have just enough wiggle room to affect alignment. Not quite sure how they can cause a clunk though. Unless they are loose enough for the front center sleeve to rotate and cause kind of a dry popping noise. The rear mount should not produce noise unless the arm is hitting something.

Alignment racks never really allow the vehicle to become unweighted. If a repair is needed. the vehicle goes to a rack. So not sure how they can be installed incorrectly unless they have been left loose.

Just get some ramps and roll the truck up on them and tighten them a little more. You could probably loosen one at a time and not have an issue though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, looks like it helped some but there's something else that happened. I'm thinking sway bar bushings or something - its annoying but everything structural seems fine

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Thanks man, looks like it helped some but there's something else that happened. I'm thinking sway bar bushings or something - its annoying but everything structural seems fine
Been here before. Chased a slight clunk when turning into driveways etc.Thought the sway bar was hitting the axle because of the lift and the turning. Rarely did it happen over a speed bump or the like. Was the ball joint just ever so loose in the socket. What work did you just do?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been here before. Chased a slight clunk when turning into driveways etc.Thought the sway bar was hitting the axle because of the lift and the turning. Rarely did it happen over a speed bump or the like. Was the ball joint just ever so loose in the socket. What work did you just do?
Axles (OEM), inner outer tie rods, control arms, and sway bar links. The struts aren't leaking oil and seem fine. Didn't disconnect them for the axles as I could do just fine with the LCAs off. The noise wasn't there pre alignment and was there slightly before I torqued the LCA the right way. I'm still thinking its those bushings - I'm going to try and torque them 10 ft lbs over spec as I'm not sure I'm reading my torque wrench right (a bit of an angle on greater torques).

Seems like there isn't play with the sway bar - hit it with a hammer and no movement.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FIXED IT! Both sway bar links came loose at the top. It almost sounded like an axle click each time I went over a bump and man let me tell you I was going to lose my mind if I had to take those axles off again.

I diagnosed by going underneath the truck and pushing up on the bottom of the link - that was the only way I could get it to budge, not even hitting the sway bar with a hammer made it move.

I think what happened was one side came loose and the other did as well. To the mechanics I was cursing at in my mind - I apologize lol

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
FIXED IT! Both sway bar links came loose at the top.

Been here before my self a few times. It happens to the best of us. Lifted a friends jeep and I got everything on and he had came up to help me tighten/torque everything. I did drivers and he did passenger side.I gave him some pointers about double checking etc. About a day later he called me and said it was clunking in the rear, and the lower shock bolt was loose...on the passenger side. I said see...now you have learned a lesson. haha

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been here before my self a few times. It happens to the best of us. Lifted a friends jeep and I got everything on and he had came up to help me tighten/torque everything. I did drivers and he did passenger side.I gave him some pointers about double checking etc. About a day later he called me and said it was clunking in the rear, and the lower shock bolt was loose...on the passenger side. I said see...now you have learned a lesson. haha
Aye, it's the sign of a good teacher when the apprentice usurps the master lol

now I see why those links are torqued to impossible to remove sometimes lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts