Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that my Ridge was pulling to the right. The dealer put it on the rack and found that it was indeed out of alignment. He then tested the 7 Ridges they had on the lot, they were ALL out of alignment and pulling to the left.

My Ridge is fine now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok, Ive been lurking for a while ... time to participate :)

My silver RTS pulls to the right ever so slightly, but enough to be annoying. I told my dealer about it when my windshield was being replaced and his answer was that it drives just like the other ones on his lot... HMmmm

·
Registered
578 Posts
pulling are caused by many things, alignment is only one of them. The other two major things are: 1) tire and 2) roads are crowned for water drainage. Most of the time, the road is crowned to the passanger side, aka the right side. This will cause the car to "pull" to the right. Try driving on the "wrong" side of a two way street to see if the car still pulls to the right. If it starts to pull to the left, then you know what the issue is, if it's still pulling to the right, then rotate tires and check alignment.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My Ridgeline was built exactly one month ago. It tracks like it is on rails. I have not noticed any pull at all at any speed, on any road (within reason). Tire pressure is correct.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thumper,

May I suggest you try to talk your dealer into putting it on the rack and checking the alignment? I took my service advisor for a drive. His stated standard was that if it deviates from a lane (straight level road) in less than about 7 seconds (depending on speed) it should be looked into. He saw that mine was clearly deviating almost immediately. In addition my steering wheel was cocked ever so slightly to the left when going straight (probably to compensate). My service advisor arranged for a rental car and made sure I was taken care of.

I imagine that most Honda dealers want to keep new Ridge owners happy. If the word gets out that the Ridge is not well built, or that Honda is not taking care of Ridge owners I imagine sales would suffer on this untested vehicle. As I see it, we have some leverage which we should apply judiciously. This of course is predicated on your dealer being customer service oriented, which mine is. I recently wrote a well deserved letter to my service advisor's supervisor commending him for his attention to professionalism and service. This probably did not hurt our relationship and the degree to which he makes sure that I am happy.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You might also consider taking your RL to an independant tire shop. They might try to sell you tires or a re-alignment but usually the inspection is free. I would only do this if your dealership is giving you a hard time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had a pull to the right also. Slight but annoying.
After no answers, I just checked all my tire pressures with a good guage.
Both drivers side tires were at 37 psi and both passenger at 35.
I took out 2 pounds on the drivers sides and the pull is gone. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can mark me down as another one that pulls to the left. Just picked it up last week. To drive straight you have to hold the wheel to the right a bit. I dropped it off at the shop this morning. All I can say is after a weekend of driving it, I sure do miss it already.

List of things to fix:

1 alignment

2 this is not an ashtray won't open without a big pop

3 driver side rear door was not mounted correctly (in at the top, sticks out at the bottom)

4 when they installed the fog lights they left a chunk of undercoating hanging from the front jack point. (don't know what they can do other than pull it off)

5 didn't get the all the parts in the tow package (locking pin and the ball)

The car only had three miles on it when we unwrapped it, the door and the alignment are kinda bothering me. My luck I will get the one that was put together when everyone on the assembly line were having a bad day.

First Honda

·
Registered
774 Posts
No alignment problems with my early production model (one of the first 2000 off the line). I have had problems with other Hondas with alignment (and steering wheel not set to 9 and 3) but the Ridgeline is spot on.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
drk said:
Thumper,

May I suggest you try to talk your dealer into putting it on the rack and checking the alignment? I took my service advisor for a drive. His stated standard was that if it deviates from a lane (straight level road) in less than about 7 seconds (depending on speed) it should be looked into. He saw that mine was clearly deviating almost immediately. In addition my steering wheel was cocked ever so slightly to the left when going straight (probably to compensate). My service advisor arranged for a rental car and made sure I was taken care of.

I imagine that most Honda dealers want to keep new Ridge owners happy. If the word gets out that the Ridge is not well built, or that Honda is not taking care of Ridge owners I imagine sales would suffer on this untested vehicle. As I see it, we have some leverage which we should apply judiciously. This of course is predicated on your dealer being customer service oriented, which mine is. I recently wrote a well deserved letter to my service advisor's supervisor commending him for his attention to professionalism and service. This probably did not hurt our relationship and the degree to which he makes sure that I am happy.
Drk makes a valid point. I use to drive school buses and that was a test we conducted once we left the yard before our first pick up. If it deviates from a lane (straight level road) in less than about 7 seconds (depending on speed) it should be looked into.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a Ridgeline RTS on 3/6/06. I regret buying the truck. It's been in Service 5 times for alignment problems and the rack&pinion to be replaced. To this day, the truck is still pulling to the left. I am so frustrated here. I kicked and screamed to the regional district manager of honda by me to terminate the lease. But of course, it did not happen. I want out BIG TIME. Anyone have any ideas. Lemon Law??

John

·
Registered
173 Posts
Most FWD's pull to the right SLIGHTLY, its something with the torque. If its excessive it needs to be checked. Most new cars only get a rough spec. front end alignment from the factory. You will normally see some tire wear (and you might also notice your steering wheel is off center from not centering the steering wheel during this rough alignment), before 15000 miles. Most dealers won't honor a free front end alignment, usually citing you hit a pot hole or some other BS.:D

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
AdCast7 said:
I talked to Honda about that and said all Hondas pull slightly to the right!!!
I believe a Honda service adviser would tell you that. But it's not true...I was running 70-75 MPH on a newly paved, and straight section of the freeway last week. I let go of the steering wheel for several seconds to see if it would pull either way at all....It went perfectly straight. Even local and city driving, I haven't noticed any pulling or drifting whatsoever.

So if that IS true...Something must be wrong with my Ridgeline....

·
Registered
473 Posts
AdCast7 said:
I talked to Honda about that and said all Hondas pull slightly to the right!!!
Yeah I think he was pulling your leg. First thing I said when the honda rep called after purchase was that it pulled, but I believe mine was to the left. Steering wheel to compensate had to be tilted to right. Two days later got a call from my dealership with a call to bring it in. Sure enough the front left was out of alignment. They did an alignment at no cost to me, and I am very satisfied. If this is not your experience then dump your dealer! You see mine was a dealer trade and my dealer did not do the first inspection. Another one did and it was signed off as straight in the service manual! Just to show not all dealers are equal. Find a good one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts