Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the audio threads only to either fall asleep or become utterly confused. I am no techy as far as Ohms or watts or wattsever. I would just like to change out my speakers and want to go to circuit city or similiar and have it installed. I want to be able to make an good choice. So please help with an audio upgrade for dummies and tell me whats the best speaks to ask for and possibly where is the best place to get them installed.. I have the RTL with Nav.

Thanks a million.

Baja

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I've heard most members from this forum have purchased their after market speakers from Crutchfield.com. Crutchfield will include all the necessary kits needed to connect the after market speakers to the doors. The speaker brands I've seen mentioned in this forum are Infinity and Boston Acustics. Don't forget your RL has tweeters on the front dash as well...I have not seen anyone mess with these speakers. Hope this helps. From my past experience, the CSRs at Crutchfield have been very helpful in recommending after market speakers that require the least amount of retrofitting as possible. I feel you are headed in the right direction with the thought of changing the stock speakers (it's on my to-do list). Good luck. BTW, I'm not an audio expert, just a junkie ;)

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Baja,

What do you not like about the stock system? What do you want to accomplish?

Will be glad to give you my opinion, but I need to know where you're coming from to start with.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My two cents. To keep it simple, The Ridge is going to take 6 and a half inch speakers. Take some favorite CDs to Circuit City/Best Buy/Local Guy and try some of the different speakers in this size. Make sure that you are listening to JUST the speakers in question and no Subs or 6x9s added. You can select and deselect the speakers on the display with a push of a button. Later you could push a button and add a small Sub to simulate the effect of the sub in the Ridge.

Now here's the important part. Whatever sounds good to you is what you should buy. It could be $200 speakers or it could be $40 speakers. Just because I bought Infinitys or someone else bought Polks or Boston Acoustics etc. should have no bearing on what you find appealing.

As far as installation goes, I can't imagine even Circuit City could screw up this speaker install. It's pretty easy. Plus there must be a zillion good Auto Sound Shops in the Dallas Area.

So there you have it, a simple idea from a simple mind. Bama

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

What I am looking for is a louder better sounding system that could be installed for me without changing the head unit. I dont have the time or expertise to do it myself and would rather just pay and have it done.

I was reading about the different size speakers and their outputs and I dont want to upgrade only to loose volume range. I read where the Boston acoustics lost power and I feel the stock system needs a boost now so I dont want to loose anything that it has.

The stock sound is nice it just lacks power and if I can get a cleaner more powerfull sound by replacing the door speakers that is the way I want to go. Is Infinity what I should be for ?

You guys really know your stuff so I just thought my post might also help some other neophite out their looking for a no brainer upgrade.
Is their a paticular Mode/serial number that I should compare with others of the same size ?

Thanks
Baja

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
In simple terms, if you want it to play louder, you're going to need amplifiers, and if you need amplifiers, you should choose speakers based on how much power is available. If you're going to have an installer do the work (and I'd strongly suggest that you at least check out an independent shop after you check out CC), then let them design a system for your budget that keeps the head unit. You can set up a very nice system this way that will sound almost as good to you as a full blown csimo special.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Baja,
Judging from the trend of descriptive terms you used in your explanation of what you're after; "...louder, output, needs a boost, lacks power, cleaner more powerful...", I don't think speakers alone will do it for you. Like shovelhd said in his reply, power amplifier. I'm not sure if the head unit has a preamp out but this to my knowledge would be the cleanest way to add a power amp. Otherwise, I'm not sure power amps are built to accept the high level of the speaker outputs form the head unit. It is quite possible that someone has come up with a component to match head unit power level to a separate power amp. I'd investigate my options by talking to several audio shops if I were you. Gather information to make an informed decision.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey.... funny you should ask..... just upgraded my speakers .... got infinity 6012is ... front and rear ...... what a difference 1000% improvement in sound quality...... best 300 dollar investment i have made .... i think u can get these speakers just about any where...... circuit city.... best buy.... cruthfield ..... or your local car stero dealer..... :cool:

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
There are preouts on the auxiliary jack connector, but only one set. So you lose the fader. There are good mid-grade amplifiers that take speaker level inputs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Me too.........based on other threads on speaker replacement I went to Circuit City today and 1 1/2 hours later drove away minus $302 and one fantastically improved sound system by simply having the four door speakers replaced with the Infinity 6012i speakers. Can't imagine that anyone would be dissapointed with this mod. ;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Simply replacing the OEM speakers with aftermarket should allow the system to be played louder without distorting so a separate amp(s) may not be needed. Comments from those who've changed out the speakers?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just got the Infinity 6012's installed at the local CC, amazing difference from the stock speakers. Just curious what you guys know about amplifiers? If I got one, I want to put it under the passenger side seat. However, the seat meets the floor halfway back so space is limited. I dont want to compromise the storage under the rear seat, so thats out.....the CC guy suggested a brand called Audiobahn. He had one there (not for sale), and it just fit under that seat...what amps have you installed?

·
Registered
12 Posts
With all of the speaker updates in everyone's Ridgelines, did any of you add DynaMat or a similar product to your doors at the time of installation? Just curious as this will also help the sound by dampening the door (lowering any vibrations).

I am thinking of changing out the four stock drivers myself.

Did someone say that the stock head unit does indeed have a pair of RCA outputs available? This would be helpful if that is the case.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm wondering if Honda has improved the speakers over the last couple of months of manufacturing?

I've read numerous concerns over the speakers that I'm not finding in mine. My RTL was manufactured last month (OCT).

I have a music background (instruments and voice), and to be completely honest, the factory speakers sound awesome to me. My wife found me in the garage about 10:00 last night, just listening to my favorite CDs and scrolling XM.:D

I notice that most of the folks posting on this one have been members since this past summer and before...... so, there could be a manufacturing/timing difference.

Then again, back to what someone said: "go with whatever speakers sound best to you!" It may be just me;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree, the stock system IS weak... I like to run with open windows instead of A/C... at full volume, I could barely hear any music details...

To remedy this...

I will be installing:

which offers direct control over:

The door speakers will be changed to:

and I will be adding 4 of these under the back seat:

...This should cure any woes with the stereo ...

Sub box construction begins this week...

finished install should be a couple weeks.

I hope to have pics up when complete.

You'll know when I'm done...

You should be able to hear it from here in Maine!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Did someone say that the stock head unit does indeed have a pair of RCA outputs available? This would be helpful if that is the case.
There are preouts on the auxiliary jack connector, but only one set. So you lose the fader. There are good mid-grade amplifiers that take speaker level inputs.
Got my attention.. does the factory unit have 1 set of pre outs?... thanks!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Yes, but not on RCA connectors, on the OEM Honda connector. You'll need adapters to get a set of RCA preouts, and you can't use them if you have the XM tuner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts