Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought high mileage RL for work commuter, my second one. Always regretted selling the first. Like many I didn't test drive at night. Low and behold-as title says all dash lights are out except my gauge cluster and error lights all seem to work. I have gone through all of the previous posts i could find or cross reference, from LED conversion to soldering circuits in head unit for radio lights. To say the least my head is spinning. I have checked all the fuses, had battery and alternator interrogated and yanked the dash and swapped out all the lights to no avail, not a single one illuminates

I need specialized help. I am starting to think either the headlight switch is bad, or I need to change the actual dimmer switch. The HVAC and Radio backlight is on very dim in the daytime and completely out when I put on the headlights. None of the dash switches illuminate at night, but are operational. The ones with the indicator backlights, the backlights work. But, the switch illumination doesn't work.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Nothing new appears to have been posted in these threads in 10years. I am hopeful the ROC gods or the Electric Gremlin Exterminators can come to my rescue. I love the new "old" truck, but it kinda feels like my Dads 1976 Ford pickup when I'm driving at night. Please someone shed some light on this matter.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,279 Posts
By any chance do you have a 3rd party hitch wiring harness installed on the Ridgeline?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By any chance do you have a 3rd party hitch wiring harness installed on the Ridgeline?
No Sir! I read about all those pitfalls. When I do it, it’s going to the stealership for wire harness installation.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had the same thing happen in my 2006. It happened right after my dealer changed out the carpet due to the infamous model 2006 "A Pillar" water leak. It was intermittent for a long time until I finally took it back to them right before my warranty expired. So whatever harness the dealer needed to unplug to change out the carpet is probably the culprit. I would guess they didn't get it plugged back in tightly. Unfortunately I do not know which harness that could be. If there was a TSB on it, it would probably be in there.

Reactions: MoJosRidge

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought high mileage RL for work commuter, my second one. Always regretted selling the first. Like many I didn't test drive at night. Low and behold-as title says all dash lights are out except my gauge cluster and error lights all seem to work. I have gone through all of the previous posts i could find or cross reference, from LED conversion to soldering circuits in head unit for radio lights. To say the least my head is spinning. I have checked all the fuses, had battery and alternator interrogated and yanked the dash and swapped out all the lights to no avail, not a single one illuminates

I need specialized help. I am starting to think either the headlight switch is bad, or I need to change the actual dimmer switch. The HVAC and Radio backlight is on very dim in the daytime and completely out when I put on the headlights. None of the dash switches illuminate at night, but are operational. The ones with the indicator backlights, the backlights work. But, the switch illumination doesn't work.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Nothing new appears to have been posted in these threads in 10years. I am hopeful the ROC gods or the Electric Gremlin Exterminators can come to my rescue. I love the new "old" truck, but it kinda feels like my Dads 1976 Ford pickup when I'm driving at night. Please someone shed some light on this matter.
I do have light in the LCD Displays, but only when headlights are off. When headlights are turned on, these go out.(appear much brighter in pic below then actual brightness in real life-actually almost non visible. (Taken at 4:45am)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To my knkwledg
I had the same thing happen in my 2006. It happened right after my dealer changed out the carpet due to the infamous model 2006 "A Pillar" water leak. It was intermittent for a long time until I finally took it back to them right before my warranty expired. So whatever harness the dealer needed to unplug to change out the carpet is probably the culprit. I would guess they didn't get it plugged back in tightly. Unfortunately I do not know which harness that could be. If there was a TSB on it, it would probably be in there.
To my knowledge and the available service records, that repair or problem has not occurred in this unit. Is the A pillar leak more prevelant on one side or the other? How could I double check?

·
Registered
385 Posts
To my knkwledg

To my knowledge and the available service records, that repair or problem has not occurred in this unit. Is the A pillar leak more prevelant on one side or the other? How could I double check?
I believe it originates on the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
OK, dumb question #1 - In the past year I had a similar problem and it was the thumb knob adjustment on the dimmer. Somehow I bumped it or moved it and it exhibited some of the problems you mentioned. Took the thumb switch off the indent "click". I knew that all the backlights on the dash were good because I had replaced them all with grain of wheat bulbs from the defunct radio shack.

Dumb question #2 - Have you pulled the dash and checked to see if a previous owner had replaced the incandescent with LED's either all or part? or did I miss that in a previous post?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, dumb question #1 - In the past year I had a similar problem and it was the thumb knob adjustment on the dimmer. Somehow I bumped it or moved it and it exhibited some of the problems you mentioned. Took the thumb switch off the indent "click". I knew that all the backlights on the dash were good because I had replaced them all with grain of wheat bulbs from the defunct radio shack.

Dumb question #2 - Have you pulled the dash and checked to see if a previous owner had replaced the incandescent with LED's either all or part? or did I miss that in a previous post?
Answer #1. I have toggled the thumb switch back and forth and that does not appear to be the problem. Unless, here is a malfunction within the switch, which is one of the things I am considering.

Answer#2-I have pulled the dash. All the existing lights appear to be OEM bulbs. I switched the bulbs out with h LEDs I bought off eBay and NO JOY!

of all the things I have read, I have come up with 3 possibilities:
1-bad thumb control dimmer switch
2-bad headlight switch
3-bad soldering in the factory head unit causing the issue. The pics in the thread where this was an issue appeared to be the in dash 6-disc CD changer model and I have the factory NAV model. I like the all factory radio look, but if switching out to aftermarket model would correct backlight issue, I’d be all for it.

thanks for reaching out on the dated issue. Still hoping for a ROC gods resolution!

MoJo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts