Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I had a brief discussion with my salesman when he picked up my June 05 build RidgeLine about the auto all door unlock situation. He said he had not heard of it but would talk to his favorite tech. Being a man of his word he did and the tech had not heard of it and spoke with the Service Manager who called me to discuss this. After 5 minutes of discussion he said he'd have a talk with the district service man who was there for the next couple of days.

The district manager called me and went through the instructions in the latest book which doesn't give the all unlock and I explained that vehicles built post-Sept 05 do have the all unlock feature, he replied he'd call a technical engineer in CA and call me back. Several hours later I recieved a phonecall and was told that he'd ordered part number 38200-SJC-A11 which is a fuse box. I am scheduled to have it installed tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 and will report if this fixes the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Wow fishnbanjo, There are a lot of members here that will be very thankful if in fact the fuse box does rectify this issue. Thank you.:p

·
Registered
123 Posts
Great news. I hope it works. Thanks for doing the research.

Tom

Still waiting for my return phone call from Honda Customer Service on this issue. :(

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of you pre-9/05 builds. Mine is unlocking all doors and I'm glad.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
There is another thread elsewhere in the forum today that has this info about the fuse box and also talks about it being a pay for play option at the customer's request only. It is not a TSB-like repair that you get for free so be careful what you ask for. I noticed in all the various discussions throughout the forum how the lady members seem to not want the feature turned on for safety reasons, so I asked my wife and she too thinks it is ok as is with only the driver door unlocking upon Park. Certainly makes it easier for me to not to pursue the fix when it would cost me $ and other forms of payment:(

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'll be very interested in what you find out.

What is difficult for me to understand is that with all other vehicles I've owned that have issues similar to this such as inconsistent operation of memory seats, mirrors or functionality of the lock/unlock features, the fix was not hardware but software, or more appropriately described as firmware.

In each case, the dealership simply uploaded a later version of firmware that fixed the problem.

Hope the solution works as, due to a long-time habit of knowing when I put the car in park or remove the key, the doors unlock.

Thanks for pursuing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vertrkr said:
That part # is for the fuse box listed in the Canadian TSB. I'm checking to see if it's the same for the US models or if it makes a difference.
This is a US model and was what the engineer in CA told the district manager to order. Will know more tomorrow.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd be very interested to hear what you find out...I have a 9/5 RL, manufactured in Canada and I can't get the all unlock feature to work regardless of how many times I've tried after reading all the posts on this subject. It really is annoying.

·
Registered
236 Posts
TEL, what's your VIN on your Ridge? Mine ends in 43222 and I was able to program mine to unlock when I put it in park.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ok, I have the new part numbers, the ones listed above are wrong or rather for the original fuse box. These are the new fuse boxes with the new multiplex controller for the all door unlock feature. This is info is from my little birdie friend :) They are available but he says supplies are limited at the moment. When I just ordered mine there were only 4 of them available from the regional parts distribution warehouse.

PS. I start a new thread with this new info.

RT use part number 38200-SJC-A02
RTS & RTL use part number 38200-SJC-A12

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fishnbanjo said:
This is a US model and was what the engineer in CA told the district manager to order. Will know more tomorrow.....
Well it's tomorrow...... uh today actually! :rolleyes:
They ordered A11 and I showed them the posting here and they verified that A12 is the part, it's now on order and A11 goes back...........

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My service department gave me the run around this morning. They couldn't find anything on Honda's page about the part so they said until something is noted or a tech proves that mine can't be programmed they won't order the part unless I want to pay T&M for it.

I told him they can verify that it will not unlock all doors and order the part next week.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Even if the part is the right one. It will not be warrantied by Honda as it affects other modules. So unless your dealer takes reponsiblity or you want to void your warranty for any electrical issues (no way for me) you will need to live with the lock. Even if your current module goes bad it would be replaced with the old one (driver door only) and not the the new part.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
dboz said:
Even if the part is the right one. It will not be warrantied by Honda as it affects other modules. So unless your dealer takes reponsiblity or you want to void your warranty for any electrical issues (no way for me) you will need to live with the lock. Even if your current module goes bad it would be replaced with the old one (driver door only) and not the the new part.
Well now I'm not sure who told you such a thing, but there are big problems with that statement. If Honda tried to dishonor any warranty based on a replacement part they manufactured for their own vehicles they would run into Magnuson Moss Warranty Act problems, probably violate a dozen or more CFR's, and probably state laws in every state.

I will say this in advance. If I had the dealer install the new part, and that part caused other damage to my vehicle, and either the dealer or Honda refused warranty coverage I would have both the dealer and Honda before a judge in my local county with all due haste. I can't imaging any judge anywhere siding with the dealer or Honda on this issue.

The bottom line is that it would be ridiculous for a dealer or Honda to make any attempt to dishonor the warranty in this case. I've been in or around the auto manufacturing business for many years and have never heard of anything remotely similar to this claim.

Don't worry about your warranty in this case.

-Joe

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
csimo said:
Well now I'm not sure who told you such a thing, but there are big problems with that statement. If Honda tried to dishonor any warranty based on a replacement part they manufactured for their own vehicles they would run into Magnuson Moss Warranty Act problems, probably violate a dozen or more CFR's, and probably state laws in every state.

I will say this in advance. If I had the dealer install the new part, and that part caused other damage to my vehicle, and either the dealer or Honda refused warranty coverage I would have both the dealer and Honda before a judge in my local county with all due haste. I can't imaging any judge anywhere siding with the dealer or Honda on this issue.

The bottom line is that it would be ridiculous for a dealer or Honda to make any attempt to dishonor the warranty in this case. I've been in or around the auto manufacturing business for many years and have never heard of anything remotely similar to this claim.

-Joe
I gotta agree 100% with this. Well put.

·
Registered
319 Posts
csimo said:

-Joe
Sorry Joe but I think you are wrong here.
I do not think Honda is suggesting the part is a fix for the problem. They say it is the way it is. The dealer contacted Honda about the part number and they say it will not warranty the work for switching the module. Don't shoot the messenger just check this out before you have the work done. It is a voluntary change. It is not some recall item that needs fixed. Hence, no warranty for the swap. Sorry, but if you want to go to court against a Billion dollar corporation with very well paid lawyers, good luck. I am not up to that fight. The law you quote does apply to replacement parts. But technically you are modifying your vehicle. IE replacing one part number for another. So you are not replacing a part here, you are making a non factory change. If that was the case then you could shoehorn a ridgeline motor into a civic and be under warranty because Honda builds the part (engine). I don't think so.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts