Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I loved my 2018 Sienna AWD but Toyota lost me when they recalled the Sienna for a faulty fuel pump that could result in an accident but had no proposed fix for the problem or a timeline for when one would be available. They told owners who experienced any symptom of this problem to park the vehicle and not drive it until repairs were made. WTF.
That’s why I now have a 2020 CR-V along side my 2019 RL Sport.
This wasn't Toyota's fault. They don't make fuel pumps and can't source hundreds of thousands or millions of replacements in an instant. As of April 9, 2020, Toyota had identified as many as 1.8 million models potentially affected - and that's just Toyota.

The fuel pump that is the subject of this recall was made by Denso and was used by Ford, Honda, Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, and Mitsubishi.

Don't be surprised if one or both of your Hondas are potentially affected as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I disagree that it's not Toyota's fault. The manufacturer is responsible for selling a safe vehicle. It is not the end-user's concern where the parts are sourced. If they get burned by a supplier with defective parts, that's the price they pay for handing over control of their brand's quality to a third party. Consumers don't know who Denso is, but they sure do know what "Toyota recall" is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Completely agree with Vaquere45. I don’t give a rat’s ass where Toyota gets their fuel pump. They are responible for selling a safe vehicle and “sorry the car we sold you is unsafe but we can’t tell you when or if we can fix it” does not cut it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Difference is, no one is pissed that the Dodge Neon is gone and demanding that it be brought back.

:cool:

You do realize that cars with volume knobs ALSO have steering wheel controls, right?

·
Registered
200 Posts
maybe the people who bought one are? I'm going to guess you're also someone who thinks its a hassle to plug your phone in for apple car play?

Point is, imo, there is no reason for a volume knob. The volume on the steering wheel works just as well....Hence my post -> I can't believe a volume knob raises so many issues. If you (or the millions of consumers you talked too) feel different, great.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No need to be snarky by implying that I've talked to millions of consumers, when I obviously have not. It's common sense that Honda is not spending money to redesign their infotainment systems to retrofit them with volume knobs because nobody wants them.

A volume knob is faster and more accurate than a button, and more intuitive for the majority of people. Period.

BTW, wireless Apple CarPlay is coming, which IS an actual improvement over wired connection.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. 😎

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Millions of consumer disagree. The volume knob didn't reappear on most Honda models because nobody asked for it.
I have to call BS. I heard it was 999,999 consumers. Or maybe it was 20 ROC members and three car rag writers beating the drum.

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Administrator
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I loved my 2018 Sienna AWD but Toyota lost me when they recalled the Sienna for a faulty fuel pump that could result in an accident but had no proposed fix for the problem or a timeline for when one would be available. They told owners who experienced any symptom of this problem to park the vehicle and not drive it until repairs were made. WTF.
That’s why I now have a 2020 CR-V along side my 2019 RL Sport.
Remember what I said two weeks ago? :)

Don't be surprised if one or both of your Hondas are potentially affected as well.
Yesterday, Honda announced the recall of 1.4 million vehicles for the same fuel pump problem that affected your 2018 Sienna. You dodged this bullet for now (unless Honda adds additional models).

2018-2019 Accord
2018-2019 Civic Hatchback
2018-2019 Civic Type R
2019 Fit
2018-2019 HR-V
2019-2020 Insight
2018-2019 NSX
2019 RDX
2019 RLX
2019 RLX Sport Hybrid

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Not that fond of the Venza dash, but the Sienna has the edge over the Odyssey with the AWD and 33 mpg. Thank you for sharing. The Venza won't get many sales.

Too many SUV variants slotted between the main money makers in the manufacturers lineup.
Did past renditions of AWD Sienna not sell well? Our 2000 Odyssey was the first van I didn't mind driving - actually enjoyed it, surprisingly - but the drive wheels spun way too easily. I would think AWD would be a big hit in these ultra-useful vehicles.

Because it is stupid to omit a volume knob.
I like a volume knob because you don't have to look at it to use it. But I liked the high-beam clicker on the floorboard too, lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,356 Posts
Remember what I said two weeks ago? :)

Yesterday, Honda announced the recall of 1.4 million vehicles for the same fuel pump problem that affected your 2018 Sienna. You dodged this bullet for now (unless Honda adds additional models).

2018-2019 Accord
2018-2019 Civic Hatchback
2018-2019 Civic Type R
2019 Fit
2018-2019 HR-V
2019-2020 Insight
2018-2019 NSX
2019 RDX
2019 RLX
2019 RLX Sport Hybrid
Toyota should have done a full replacement rather than messing around with trying to find a fix.

·
Administrator
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Toyota should have done a full replacement rather than messing around with trying to find a fix.
As is often the case, Toyota started getting reports of fuel pump failures, but they didn't know why they were failing. When they did figure out why there were failing, they didn't know what to do about it. Finally, the fuel pump supplier figured out and fixed the problem. However, there was a period where Toyota knew there was a problem, but didn't have a solution which is why they suggested that owners stop driving the vehicles.

Honda did something similar when the Takata airbag inflator issue came to light - they told people to stop driving their Hondas, although they did arrange for alternate transportation until a solution could be identified and enacted. My 2014 Ridgeline sat without being driven for three months because Honda told me not to drive it. I ended up trading it in because I got tired of it sitting in my garage while I drove a loaner CR-V.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ford or Chevy don't even make minivans anymore, let alone anything with kick-to-open sliding doors.

As for the new Venza...why? It's based on the Rav4 platform, and is 5.7 inches longer but has 2 cu. ft. less cargo space? So it's going to be heavier, with the same hybrid powertrain from the Rav4, so it will undoubtedly be slower. And it lacks a volume knob? Named after a forgotten, discontinued vehicle with lackluster sales?

Somebody at Toyota needs to be shown the door.
We own 2011 Venza and loving it more so than 1st gen Ridgeline it replaced. Would consider Venza 2 in a heartbeat. Somebody at Toyota should have a bonus.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The new Venza is not related to the old Venza, so I don't see why loving your old Venza has anything to do with the new one. Unless you just love Toyotas, which is completely understandable. :)

The old one is basically a V6 powered, slightly lifted AWD Camry station wagon, while the new one is an overwrought Rav4 hybrid with less cargo space. I'd much rather have the previous V6 Camry based vehicle. Hard to beat Toyota's 3.5l V6, and I much prefer their standard AWD system to their hybrid AWD system, which is electric-only power at the rear wheels.

If I was going with a Toyota hybrid SUV, I'd take a look at the new Rav4 Prime. More cargo room than the Venza and 302 horsepower on tap. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Redline posted up a video today. The host is a short dude and this thing looks tiny next to him. If luxury is your thing I suppose it has some good points. IMO they should have offered a V6 to force some away from a RAV4. My thinking now is if you are going to spend 40k the RAV4 Prime would be the better choice. We'll see what they say when the embargo free videos come out. The one thing that worries me about the RAV4 prime is the battery on the bottom. In doing tire research, I found out that Firestone won't service a Tesla. I believe it is because you can damage the battery with jacking point errors. This could be a can of worms and costly exposure for incompetence.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Many RAV4 prime videos out today as embargo is over. It looks to be impressive and I can see this vehicle becoming a pivot point for the industry. It's so much better than a gas version without a Tesla price. Point is that it's attainable and now a consideration . Great performance, great mileage, great utility, great offroad. Only problem is Toyota will not be able to build enough of them and there is nothing in the market to go against it. Probably will take two years or so until it becomes attainable for the average consumer.

Ford will have the 3.5 hybrid and the next Tundra is rumored to have something similar, the question is which manufacturer will bring it to the midsizers. Since Honda doesn't have a full size, for the tech to trickle down from they could be the first to offer something in the midsize. IMO if they don't have a game changing Hybrid for the RL, it's will be the end. It doesn't matter if they have the production capacity or not, I can see many two vehicle owners getting a fun hybrid and an inefficient truck. Right now, there's nothing to split the difference like the RAV4 Prime does in it's segment.

It's early but I see this as the future and like I always said this V6 to 4 banger turbo was only an interim step until the hybrids proliferate.

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
It looks like Ford will be the first major player with a hybrid pickup.

I would love to see a hybrid Ridgeline, something that gets a combined 25-27mpg and can still tow 3500lbs. That would get me to trade up quicker.

·
Administrator
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
The hybrid F-150 is rated to tow at least 12,000 lbs. It also includes a 7,200 watt AC power source, so you can power your campsite, jobsite, or even your home with it.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts