·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post up pics of your toys. Kayaks and your method of hauling :D

·
Registered
934 Posts
I put my Pygmy Boat wooden Artic Tern in the bed strapped in tightly, hanging out the back 10ft. for the 1/2 mi. drive to my beach on LI.....roof rack who needs that?

RidgeLI

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just launched my Redfish "Spring Run" that I finished building on New Year's eve. First paddle was on a trip to Key Largo, FL in mid March.

I carry my kayak on top of my RL on a Yakima rack system that uses Yakima tracks (I've posted that installation previously) and Malone cradles. My trip in March was 1500 mi round trip and the kayak never moved an inch.

I'm about to build a S&G Cirrus SLT for my 8 yr old son so he can have his own boat like Dad.......

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I just launched my Redfish "Spring Run" that I finished building on New Year's eve. First paddle was on a trip to Key Largo, FL in mid March.

I carry my kayak on top of my RL on a Yakima rack system that uses Yakima tracks (I've posted that installation previously) and Malone cradles. My trip in March was 1500 mi round trip and the kayak never moved an inch.

I'm about to build a S&G Cirrus SLT for my 8 yr old son so he can have his own boat like Dad.......

Bob
Beautiful build! Congrats.

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
my boat is only 6'8" so it just sits in the bed of the truck...for now. And who waits for spring- we boat all year as long as there is water-
Cant wait for the rivers to open up on the North Shore. If I time it right I watch you crazy talented kayakers shoot the rapids on the swollen snow run off rivers. Their are quite a few to watch right near my place. They choose a smaller (if you want to call it that) river cause of the tight turns and 4'- 10' drops. The larger rivers are certain death with extream narrow channels,10'-16' waterfalls very cold and fast water.:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
wife and i have a wilderness systems 2 person tandom think its the 130

carry it on roof rack with some straps...

·
Registered
92 Posts
MAN i like that yak! I want a SOT so bad for fishing...

Here is the wifey's Wilderness Systems Pamlico 135T ... Its nice, when she is in it she doesn't have to paddle at all because it came with its own engine - ME! grrr

Here it is on the truck:

And where it USUALLY is (lol, she's preggo so we haven't been out yet on it)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guzman are you by any chance hispanic or a pacific islander? I remember that name from the island of Guam.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Love the post header.
Spring is here.
Ha. Ice isn't out yet. But snow is almost gone.
C'mon summer! Kayak is ready.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here we go.

Notice how the cross bars are just about maxed out from my Wilderness Ride. I was hoping that Yakima and/or Thule would create adapters tha would allow us to use the longer cross bars. I want to be able to load my kayaks on top and side by side. Having the long yak on the back is no problem, although, I often worry some idiot is going to hit me. Plus, having access to my trunk is important. It sucks to have to remember you need something in the trunk after you have already tied the yak in the back down :0. Check out how far it sticks out of a 5 ft. bed.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Here we go.

Notice how the cross bars are just about maxed out from my Wilderness Ride. I was hoping that Yakima and/or Thule would create adapters tha would allow us to use the longer cross bars. I want to be able to load my kayaks on top and side by side. Having the long yak on the back is no problem, although, I often worry some idiot is going to hit me. Plus, having access to my trunk is important. It sucks to have to remember you need something in the trunk after you have already tied the yak in the back down :0. Check out how far it sticks out of a 5 ft. bed.

Pictures not showing. Check how to post pics on this forum.
I use the Hullraiser, which puts kayak on side. Have carried 2 18' sea kayaks this way. Crossbars are a little short front to back, but I can make it work. Also no need to tie down back and front, as they are secured to the masts. Access to the trunk is easy.
Cheers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought I posted the pics correctly. I am able to see them on my phone, my pc, my work terminal.

I do have a set of hullraisers but Im not tall enough to lift the ride up that high w/o scratching the truck. :mad: :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here we go.

Hi Redgrappler,
Thule does make the 'feet' that you wrap onto the roof rack rails that allows you to use the longer cross bars. I don't have a close-up picture to show you but you can see we haul two kayaks side by side with no problems. We also have a canoe and would haul one kayak and the canoe together also. What I love most about the RL is that we use to take our two rottweilers camping by the lake and take our boats. The truck can haul all our boat/camping gears, dogs and their crates and food and the two of us and still have room left. We once went skiing with some friends and one car broke down on our way up to the cabin. We ended up with 6 people and a 92 lb rottweiler all our gear/skis/food in the RL. What an amazing vehicle!

Check out http://www.rei.com/product/710446

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's my rig. Standard Thule feet and cross bar. Standard Thule kayak cradles, on which I've mounted some pivoting and carpeted pads. The pivoting pads conform to the deck of the kayak, and the carpet lets me slide the kayak into pos'n without scuffing the deck. The aft support is a simple angle bolted onto a bike carrier, with a fitted plywood saddle at the top. Good quality straps at the front and back supports provide excellent security. I can put on the fwd and aft supports and load and unload solo in less than five minutes. The kayak is a Chesapeake Mill Creek 16.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
I may have maxed out my roof racks! Two kayaks and a canoe.... Hauled that load 750 miles last month on a family trip to Grayton Beach, Fl.

I think it may be time for a trailer.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 89 Posts