Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Yakima bars using the Yakima Railgrab come off easy. The OEM crossbars are a lot more work to remove and install. That requires removing the siderails I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. My OEM crossbars are sitting in a closet...I've never used them.
Yes(NO.... see below correction), I do believe that is wrong on the OEMs. The cross bars mount via hardware fastened to the grooves inside each of the side bars. They (crossbars) then can slide forward & aft in those grooves, or can be removed altogether via the same hardware (unless I'm terribly mistaken?). A quick check with the guys at HandA.com would verify this.
FYI, that fastening hardware also has small plastic loops built in for light tie down purposes I suppose.

EDIT: ......... OR NOT: It looks like it's not as easy as it would seem, if you review the assembly at H&A. I presumed too much.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes, I do believe that is wrong on the OEMs. The cross bars mount via hardware fastened to the grooves inside each of the side bars. They (crossbars) then can slide forward & aft in those grooves, or can be removed altogether via the same hardware (unless I'm terribly mistaken?). A quick check with the guys at HandA.com would verify this.
FYI, that fastening hardware also has small plastic loops built in for light tie down purposes I suppose.
There's some discussion about removing crossbars about 4 posts into this thread: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036 It doesn't sound too hard, but not something you'd want to do routinely. I'd be a little concerned about losing the plastic covers that snap down if I was pulling them off that often. http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline/roofrack.pdf

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
There's some discussion about removing crossbars about 4 posts into this thread: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036 It doesn't sound too hard, but not something you'd want to do routinely. I'd be a little concerned about losing the plastic covers that snap down if I was pulling them off that often. http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline/roofrack.pdf
You are correct sir.... not an easy task at all. I stand properly schooled. :act029:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here you go. One without crossbars which is how I usually run:
View attachment 172826

View attachment 172834

View attachment 172842
Thanks for posting, and nice looking ride. I think the side angle is where I usually do not like the look of the OEM rack (with or without the crossbars), but that is also the angle where the RL itself looks the most....interesting.

Love to hear from others with a tower-based system, although maybe not on this thread, don't want to get too off-topic.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Okay, so after MUCH searching, PM'ing, and posting, I think I finally have my solution, and now I am ready for spring (although I loved my first winter with the Ridge)!

I Read every thread on here about the Yakima Q-Tower roof rack system. I posted and also PM'ed anyone who has had that system asking about any problems...eventually I just made the plunge, but it wasn't too hard: I found this rack system on Craigslist for $75, paid another $75 for the Q-clips for the Ridge (Q99) giving me a solid rack that I can remove when not needed for $150 (this system new is over $350). Although, I actually like how it looks, so I have left it on for about a month now...

Also, I did some searching on Amazon and found some cheap universal kayak J cradles: http://www.amazon.com/TMS-KAYAK-RK-J-1BOX-Universal-Carrier/dp/B003V57NUQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I bought two of these because I had a $25 gift card, so only paid <$30 for two pairs! I put one pair together, and like the reviews say it was kind of a pain, but they seem solid. My only complaint is that they do tend to rotate a little on the round Yakima bars, but not enough to worry about.

THEN, the most exiting part is that I found a nice used kayak on Craigslist. I wanted something that would work well for the flat water around my home, but I could also do some rapids with, as well as hopefully some overnight or multiday camping trips. This kayak fit the bill perfectly. It's a Jackson Rouge 10 (Crossover whitewater/recreational).

Picked it up two days ago and put it on the rack. No problems with either the Yakima rack or the J cradles! Plus I think it looks Bada$$ on the Ridge!

I need to get a few things to complete the kayak purchase (didn't come with a paddle or skirt) but I have an extra paddle for my SOT so I will take the boat out as soon as the rain ends this week.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good lookin truck Severn. You might want to take a look at this thread if you're going to use a front tie down: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9499#/forumsite/20673/topics/9499
Thanks Matt. I actually went to Lowes last week and picked up the few items I needed to re-create Steveberger's setup. Haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but I figured it would be cheap and easy to try out.

I plan on taking the yak out tomorrow for our maiden voyage. The ice has finally melted on the creek but we had a ton of rain yesterday and high winds today, so alas, I have had to wait to play with my new toy..

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Thanks Matt. I actually went to Lowes last week and picked up the few items I needed to re-create Steveberger's setup. Haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but I figured it would be cheap and easy to try out.

I plan on taking the yak out tomorrow for our maiden voyage. The ice has finally melted on the creek but we had a ton of rain yesterday and high winds today, so alas, I have had to wait to play with my new toy..
Hey SRR,
I'm in Odenton right now visiting Daughter, Son-in-Law & new Granddaughter (was out here last June when she was born). I got here last Wed, and you've saved some pretty nice weather for my visit! Aside from a little rain & a bit of wind, it's been pretty darned nice. Previous snow is all but gone. Hope this holds through next week. :)

FYI, got a call from the wife today in Carlsbad (north of San Diego on the coast) and it was over 90 degrees there today..... unususal even for SoCal standards!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey SRR,
I'm in Odenton right now visiting Daughter, Son-in-Law & new Granddaughter (was out here last June when she was born). I got here last Wed, and you've saved some pretty nice weather for my visit! Aside from a little rain & a bit of wind, it's been pretty darned nice. Previous snow is all but gone. Hope this holds through next week. :)

FYI, got a call from the wife today in Carlsbad (north of San Diego on the coast) and it was over 90 degrees there today..... unususal even for SoCal standards!
Yeah, I'd say that we've had some pretty decent weather over the last week, so you picked a good time to visit! I didn't have time to take the yak out after work last week, and the weather this weekend was not very favorable. Rain and prior engagements nixed Saturday for me, and with winds gusting about 40 mph yesterday I decided to wait. Gonna give it a go today after work though.

Enjoy your visit to MD, looks like pretty nice weather this week too!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Did you go out yesterday? The weather was ridiculously beautiful! They said it would be like 71?... but I swear it felt like mid-high 70s to me by late afternoon. Loved it..... was out in shorts, T-shirt & flip flops..... felt like home (even if only for a day, lol). :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Did you go out yesterday? The weather was ridiculously beautiful! They said it would be like 71?... but I swear it felt like mid-high 70s to me by late afternoon. Loved it..... was out in shorts, T-shirt & flip flops..... felt like home (even if only for a day, lol). :)
Those pics were from last Sunday, a little chilly but a bright and clear day. Weather is up and down this time of year, feels like winter today, but by next week we will be in the 60's!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Recent trip to West Virginia (6/6/15). On the Potomac River between Paw Paw, WV and Little Orleans, MD.

The panorama is a great photo, I just can't figure out how to resize it so it will post larger...any recommendations?

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Anybody have any experience with Ocean Kayak Frenzy 9ft? I am thinking about getting two of them for taking to the beach and sometimes fishing in small lakes in my area.

Also does anybody have a picture of a 9ft kayak laying in the back? I think I'd just put the tailgate down and lay them both in the back with a few straps.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts