Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'd be interested in any Gen 2 pics especially with just using the bed (with tailgate UP). I think our basic 10 ft Pelicans should fit similar to how we carried them in our RAM 1500 with the short bed (5' 7" bed x 20" deep)...Other than the aerodynamics of the end of the kayak in the air, I never had issues and 1 ratchet strap handles all the tie down duties. I was also able to leave the Trifecta tonneau on in the folded position.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I may have maxed out my roof racks! Two kayaks and a canoe.... Hauled that load 750 miles last month on a family trip to Grayton Beach, Fl.

I think it may be time for a trailer.

May I ask how you anchor to the front? The cords looks to be attached to something up from the hood line.

Bill

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Have any of you G2 owners tried a kayak loader to get a heavy unit like the Hobie Outback or the Pro Angler onto the truck roof? Anyone using a Hullavator or other loader system? I just got my RTL-E and am trying to decide the best way to go. I really like the Hobies but would like to carry on the roof and am not sure I can get one up there without either personal or vehicular damage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure what the Hobie weighs but this is my normal load of two kayaks (14' and 17'). I've had two 22' doubles up there and used a lead line down to the bumper on the front. In terms of weight, I've had 6 12' pressure treated 6"X6" which probably came in at about 600 lbs. My set up has been detailed on both the Thule Rack and Ladder Rack threads.

Phil

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Phil W, I have seen your picture before and your setup is great but... I am sure your kayaks are very heavy and take two people to put them up on your ladder rack. The Hobie Outback weighs 99 lbs, fully rigged and I want to get it up on top of my roof rack (kayak length is 12' 1") by myself without getting a hernia or scratching my paint, etc. I have seen a YouTube video of someone loading a Hobie Outback on top of a BMW SUV with a Thule Hullavator and wondered if anyone had tried this or any other weight reduction loading system to get a heavy kayak on top of a G2 roof single handed. You could possibly load yours single handed, I don't know, but I don't want to buy a ladder rack since I already have a roof rack. It looks like a ladder rack may be cheaper than a Hullavator but I would like to continue to use my tonneau cover with my kayak on the roof.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Phil W, I have seen your picture before and your setup is great but... I am sure your kayaks are very heavy and take two people to put them up on your ladder rack. The Hobie Outback weighs 99 lbs, fully rigged and I want to get it up on top of my roof rack (kayak length is 12' 1") by myself without getting a hernia or scratching my paint, etc. I have seen a YouTube video of someone loading a Hobie Outback on top of a BMW SUV with a Thule Hullavator and wondered if anyone had tried this or any other weight reduction loading system to get a heavy kayak on top of a G2 roof single handed. You could possibly load yours single handed, I don't know, but I don't want to buy a ladder rack since I already have a roof rack. It looks like a ladder rack may be cheaper than a Hullavator but I would like to continue to use my tonneau cover with my kayak on the roof.
Actually, my kayaks are both under 50 lbs but I load them by sliding them up over the back rack. ( I have a maple keel ). But I also loaded those 6 X 6 the same way. By the way, at 69 and with a bad back, I don't lift anything I don't have to.

Phil

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I have another question for the Ridgeline kayaking community, since clearly no one needs a kayak loading system. Does anyone know what kayak carriers fit on the OEM cross bars?

81 - 89 of 89 Posts