Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put some A/T tires on my 2017 RTL-E (245/60R18) I have narrowed it down to 3 tires. I think I'm leaning towards the Continental Terrain Contact A/T, but also considering Yokohama Geolander A/T-S and Firestone Destination A/T 2.

Open to comments and opinions.

Also I have about 6/32 (32,000 miles) on my stock tires. Destination LE 2. Not sure if that is low for 32K miles or about right. I read that they are 60K mile tires.
Should I keep them or try to sell them?

Thanks in advance!

·
Vendor
784 Posts
The 3 tires you are considering are solid choices. Which is best depends on what you are looking for in your next set of tires and where you drive.

Sounds like your stock tires have worn fairly well. You must be doing a good job keeping the rotated and checking air pressure.

Please let us know if we can help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not on your list, but I have the BFG KO2s on my outback... Happy with the set; used all year round in winter climates as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have my next set narrowed to the continental or Firestone tires you listed. Speaking to tire rack they said the firestones will be better in snow and a more quiet at freeway speed. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Not on your list, but I have the BFG KO2s on my outback... Happy with the set; used all year round in winter climates as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The K02's (for the GenII) are close to 20lbs per tire heavier than stock. They are also very noisy and have high rolling resistance. If used expect a BIG hit to gas mileage, poorer ride, acceleration and handling. On the other hand they would be hard to puncture, and perform well off road.

Of the tires the OP listed, the Terrain Contacts would probably compromise the least on the road. I would also expect them to handle the OP's intended "off roading" well enough.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nothing too crazy, but some winter driving, hunting and fishing, some sand as well. Hunting can get a little muddy and snowy...
Most A/T tires will suck in the snow, unless they are severe snow rated.

I looked at the tires you mentioned, and I wouldn't consider a tire that is not severe snow rated if you are driving in snow. I wouldn't run an A/T tire on this vehicle, but I also don't go off road (I run a dedicated snow tire in the winter). I had good luck with Duratracs in the past, but might be overkill for your situation. The Firestone A/T 2 looked good, and did have lots of sipes for winter driving, but its a passenger tire.

What percentage of time will you be off the pavement on the other terrains you mentioned. >50%? Have you been using your OEM Firestones for the same activity you are describing? How did they perform?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most A/T tires will suck in the snow, unless they are severe snow rated.

I looked at the tires you mentioned, and I wouldn't consider a tire that is not severe snow rated if you are driving in snow. I wouldn't run an A/T tire on this vehicle, but I also don't go off road (I run a dedicated snow tire in the winter). I had good luck with Duratracs in the past, but might be overkill for your situation. The Firestone A/T 2 looked good, and did have lots of sipes for winter driving, but its a passenger tire.

What percentage of time will you be off the pavement on the other terrains you mentioned. >50%? Have you been using your OEM Firestones for the same activity you are describing? How did they perform?
Both the Firestone Destination and the Yokohama Geolander have the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake certification. I couldn't tell if the Continental Terrain Contact have it, but they have a different symbol called TractionPlus with a mountain and a "+" sign, but not sure if that is recognized by DOT as a winter rated tire.

Over the past 3 years, the only problem I had was I got stuck in some very loose deep sand, but it only took a little help to push it out with a couple guys. Last winter Portland and much of Oregon had some heavy snow and ice. the Destination LE 2 did fine with minimal issues, I have been driving in snow all my life, but I don't think I would want to take it over the pass with them with out chains or cables.

Most of my driving is paved roads, but I do go out maybe once a month where I would prefer an A/T tire.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
This is video helped me a lot with decision making. I'm at the stage in life now where I can stay in when it snows 90% of the time but if I have to be out, nothing compares. Last winter I had to drive from Albany to Boston in a Blizzard with temperatures close to zero. The RL was impressive, what matters to me most is the snow braking distance. No substitute. Keep in mind, however, that snow tires can be bad with wet braking but I figured that's something I can manage much easier than dealing without snows.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Over the past 3 years, the only problem I had was I got stuck in some very loose deep sand, .
How much were you aired down? All season tires are fine in the sand, as long as you air down. Here in MA the OVR rules are 11 psi. Makes more of a difference than the tire type.

Most of my driving is paved roads, but I do go out maybe once a month where I would prefer an A/T tire.
IMO the short amount of time you will be driving off road wouldn't necessitate an A/T tire, perhaps a dedicated snow for the Portland winters. Out of the 3 that you mentioned, if you will be running it year round I would choose the Firestone A/T 2 since it appears to have more sipes for winter driving. Again, just my opinion. I have not run any of these. I have ran the BFG K/O's and they were hands down the worst tire I've ever used in the snow/ice on my jeep. Moved to Duratrac and never looked back. For dedicated snow tires I love winterforce, there is no comparison (I've never ran nokians, I heard those are good also). I just bought a set of blizzacks only because they had the size I wanted (235/70/17) and there was a $80 discount at Costco.

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Both the Firestone Destination and the Yokohama Geolander have the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake certification. I couldn't tell if the Continental Terrain Contact have it, but they have a different symbol called TractionPlus with a mountain and a "+" sign, but not sure if that is recognized by DOT as a winter rated tire.
For few months, I had the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s. They are the 3PMSF tires and handled awful in snow. Prior to this, I ran two sets of the Grabber and prior to that I ran Two sets of the Grapplers.
Thanks to DTD, I switched the Dynapros for the Grabbers. For an ATM tire, I would surely buy the Grabbers any day.

·
Registered
90 Posts
For few months, I had the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s. They are the 3PMSF tires and handled awful in snow. Prior to this, I ran two sets of the Grabber and prior to that I ran Two sets of the Grapplers.
Thanks to DTD, I switched the Dynapros for the Grabbers. For an ATM tire, I would surely buy the Grabbers any day.
I really like the reviews of the Grabbers, unfortunately I dont think they are made in a size that would fit the OEM wheel and the dimensions of the wheel well.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I would recommend Continental TerrainContact A/T, i have the H/T version and they are the quietest best handling tire i have tried!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Nice video. I agree with it generally but, the sample size was too small to really come to any real conclusion.
Yes, and the video is rather dated so perhaps the All Terrains have caught up somewhat. However, my understanding is that snow tires are designed to keep snow in the treads for better snow traction while all terrain tires are designed to evacuate the mud from the tread so how could they perform in snow?

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Although I have a Gen1, it will not perform much different than the Gen2 when it comes to tire performance. My new Continental Terrain Contact A/Ts are turning out to be a great set of ties. So far I am very happy with their performance.

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
I really like the reviews of the Grabbers, unfortunately I dont think they are made in a size that would fit the OEM wheel and the dimensions of the wheel well.
I run 255/60-R18. Mated a +40mm wheel, my G1 is perfectly fine. On an OEM wheel on the G2, I am sure it will be fine. I used to run 245/70-R17s on my old setup and had barely any rubbing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Depending on the timing, Falken has a new AT tire coming out that has some of the aggressive looks of the AT3W without being a full blown AT tire. It's on their site already. Looks like it was designed for Unibody CUVs and is available in our stock size. Can't add link due to this being my first post.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts