Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came damn near pulling the trigger on a 3.5 ecoboost F150 Lariat package crew cab/short bed. Have any of you ever sat in the back seat of the new F150 crew cab? It's freakin cavernous! It also has the "magic" seats (copied from Honda), but without the rail where the seats sit when down in the RL.

End of the day they quoted me a $600 payment on a truck with an MSRP of 60k (84 months with 7k down). Goes to show what type of rebates and profit are built into a Ford truck. It drove like a dream though, tons of torque at low RPM's; it essentially drove like a cadillac.

Suffice is to say, I'm sticking with the RL, I just wish I could buy one! After parking the Ford in a tight lot, and realizing I don't have anything that weighs over 3k to tow, there's just no point in a full size truck. Thursday is supposedly the day for mine to come in.

Quick question to any G2 owners; what is the actual payload for your truck? I've seen as low as 1300, and as high as 1562. I'm more concerned about hauling than towing.

· Registered
692 Posts
i'm in a rental 2016 f150 xlt, base 3.5 v6, no ecoboost, but boy if i could shrink this thing even 10 percent.....

i think that's what the new rl could/ should have been

· Registered
107 Posts
I came damn near pulling the trigger on a 3.5 ecoboost F150 Lariat package crew cab/short bed. Have any of you ever sat in the back seat of the new F150 crew cab? It's freakin cavernous! It also has the "magic" seats (copied from Honda), but without the rail where the seats sit when down in the RL.

End of the day they quoted me a $600 payment on a truck with an MSRP of 60k (84 months with 7k down). Goes to show what type of rebates and profit are built into a Ford truck. It drove like a dream though, tons of torque at low RPM's; it essentially drove like a cadillac.

Suffice is to say, I'm sticking with the RL, I just wish I could buy one! After parking the Ford in a tight lot, and realizing I don't have anything that weighs over 3k to tow, there's just no point in a full size truck. Thursday is supposedly the day for mine to come in.

Quick question to any G2 owners; what is the actual payload for your truck? I've seen as low as 1300, and as high as 1562. I'm more concerned about hauling than towing.
The Ford was my plan B. I almost didn't wait on the Ridgeline but now am glad I did.

· Registered
4,180 Posts
A coworker has a Platinum F-150, and the interior space is amazing.

Favorite feature: 360-degree camera view

Least favorite features: Door panels are pretty low-rent for a $65k+ truck. Hard to park because of the sheer size of it.

Chip H.

· Registered
54 Posts
I've been cross shopping a F-150. Some thoughts:

• With all the rebates, you can get an F-150 well below the cost of and RTL-E
  • The inside space is amazingly huge
  • You can get it in a 6-passenger version that gives you the space in the front without a console like the G1, and also a 6th passenger...
  • You can get a massive sunroof in most trim levels
  • You can get cooled seats
  • You can get a sliding rear window in the lower trims
  • The Sync 3 infotainment system is reported to be very good and is available in lower trims and will be updated to support Android Auto/Apple Car Play
  • Reliability: Consumer Reports predicted reliability for the F-150 is "Better than Average". For the new RL: "Average"
  • Towing capability borders on ridiculous
  • More ground clearance/offroad capability
  • The 2.7L Ecoboost has pretty awesome performance
  • There is a Ford dealer in every podunk little town in this country
  • Accessories: What can't you get for this truck?
  • Bad: Like the Honda, their Sensing-equivalent safety features are only in the top trim levels
  • Bad: Fuel Economy is a couple MPG behind the RL
  • Bad: To get All Wheel Drive functionality, you need to go with the Lariat trim or above
  • Bad: It's big, but just over an inch wider. 22" longer however...

The Honda can do everything I need it to do. If the RTS had decent features, I don't think I would have even looked at an F-150. Still have a year before I pull the trigger, so who knows what will happen.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The F150 I looked at had just shy of 1800lbs of payload capacity. I'm wondering how many G2 owners are above 1500. An earlier thread posted a link to an owners manual that showed in the 1300 pound range (not an official manual). I'm wondering what the real world numbers are. I saw a BE on a dealer website with a GVWR over 6k and payload of 1552; to that point I thought the GVWR was under 6k

· Registered
13 Posts
I own a 2016 F150 XLT. What I really wanted initially was a Tacoma. I wanted a mid-size truck, but I refuse to even look at a Colorado or Canyon given my prior experience with unreliable GM vehicles. I test drove the Tacoma and it was unimpressive. The Tacoma transmission down shifts repeatedly at highway speeds, making it seem underpowered. The rear seats on the Tacoma are pretty useless for full grown people and I have to carry teenage children around. The fuel efficiency of the Tacoma is relatively poor. The Tacoma also bounced around on the road like an old fashioned truck would. My only other option at the time was the Nissan Frontier, but it didn't receive great reviews, so I didn't test drive it.

The fuel economy of the Tacoma is almost the same as the F150 with a 2.7L ecoboost engine. The Ford is more comfortable, more capable, and has more features than the Tacoma. My Ford has all kinds of bells and whistles: remote start, voice control of my phone and radio (it will even read text messages I receive while driving), heated seats, two standard 120 V outlets in the cab with 400 Watts power each, a center console that has huge storage (it is designed for hanging file folders if you want to run your office out of your truck). It has radar sensors to warn me when I am about to hit something while backing up, and it has a computer to control back up steering of a trailer (you turn a knob on the dash in the direction you want the trailer to go and the computer takes over steering). I have 4 wheel drive and ground clearance galore. I've been getting about 20 mpg in combine driving, which isn't too bad. I paid $39,228 +TTL for my Ford, which is less than what people posting here have paid for a new Ridgeline.

So, why have I been lurking here? Because I absolutely DESPISE parking my truck behemoth. I have a tight parking lot at work. Now that I own this truck, I have to get to work early while there is still room to turn around in the lot. I can't leave work for lunch, because I will never be able to get back in a spot again. In other parking situations (grocery store, home depot, bank, shopping mall, etc.) I can always park far away where there is space, but at work the lot is always completely full. I also can't even think about taking my truck downtown and parallel parking it on a narrow street, or even entering a parking garage. I admit that my lack of experience driving the new truck is part of the problem, but most of the problem is that my truck is nearly 20 feet long.

I'm seriously considering taking my losses and trading my brand new truck. The Ridgeline is probably all the truck I would ever need, and it is 2 feet shorter.

· Registered
121 Posts
A friend of mine is taking delivery of a F150 XLT with the 2.7 Ecoboost engine this week. I will be traveling with him in two weeks to an auction so I will have an opportunity to check out the truck. I did find that the towing capacity is 8,500 pounds and found a Consumer Reports article where a CR engineer had very positive comments about the towing ability of the 2.7 after towing a 5,600 pound Airstream camper. The F150 is probably a lot bigger than I would want to drive on a regular basis.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel your pain Matt. I loved the way the F150 I drove, but, of course, I wanted to buy the mac daddy with the 3.5 ecoboost. Why? Frankly there is no reason other than to know there are other F150's that could tow more than me. If you go in, go all in; or is that my penis speaking?

I have yet to drive the new RL, but my God, the negative feedback on this forum makes me think I should just keep my GTI and rent a truck a couple times a year. Is the new one that bad?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A friend of mine is taking delivery of a F150 XLT with the 2.7 Ecoboost engine this week. I will be traveling with him in two weeks to an auction so I will have an opportunity to check out the truck. I did find that the towing capacity is 8,500 pounds and found a Consumer Reports article where a CR engineer had very positive comments about the towing ability of the 2.7 after towing a 5,600 pound Airstream camper. The F150 is probably a lot bigger than I would want to drive on a regular basis.

To your point Ridgestalker, I went down the same road. To me though, there's no point in struggling with the larger vehicle, at least from a parking standpoint, unless you have the bigger engine (just in case you know:) End of the day, it doesn't make sense to own such a large vehicle, or at least I keep telling myself that.

· Registered
48 Posts
My last truck was a full-size and as much as I enjoyed the huge interior room, it was a behemoth to drive/park. I’m always taken aback though when I see posts of folks either cross-shopping the RL with the F150/Trundra/Silverado or they’ve decided the RL didn’t work for them so they’re going with a full-size. Obviously if you need the higher payload of towing capacity it makes sense, but if you’re looking mid-size seems a big jump to go to full-size, rarely any mention of the actual competition for the RL.

I would agree with others that have said you can get a pretty well optioned full-size for the same cost as the highest trim RL and I would also say that if you’re okay with full-size it sounds like a no-brainer. But for me, I don’t want to go back to worrying about where and how I’m going to park it. I have a buddy that has a travel trailer and needs a full-size and has impressed me with his ability to fit it into certain spaces but even he refuses to drive if he knows we’ll have to park in certain garages near the office.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,973 Posts
I just want a compact trunk, but we can't get those anymore. Just a small truck, the size of the original Toyota (non-taco). Give it a six- or six-and-a-half-foot bed, extended cab with plenty of front seat legroom, tiny turbo four up front, a five-speed manual or 10AT.

Two small bucket seats with a cab too narrow for a center console, but fold-down armrests that butt up against each other to make a decent armrest, or fold up out of the way for two big boys to fit in the seats.

Bed can be narrow, like 40", but make it so the sides drop down (like on the Honda Kei truck) so you can easily carry larger items like plywood and 60-inch lawn mowers.

If Honda built this trucklet, it could be based off the HRV. It would get 30mpg, sell for 25k, and outsell the Ridgeline 10 to 1, based on needs of contractors, college kids and 60% of the driving public. Most importantly, it would represent what made Honda (and Toyota) great in the first place.

· Registered
13 Posts
...I’m always taken aback though when I see posts of folks either cross-shopping the RL with the F150/Trundra/Silverado or they’ve decided the RL didn’t work for them so they’re going with a full-size. Obviously if you need the higher payload of towing capacity it makes sense, but if you’re looking mid-size seems a big jump to go to full-size, rarely any mention of the actual competition for the RL.....
I think some of these posts show that full sized trucks ARE in some cases actual competition for mid-sized trucks. When the manufacturers of mid-sized trucks price them the same as full size and make them with the same gas mileage as full size while at the same time offering less towing capacity, ground clearance, features, and comfort than a full size. Well, then what do you expect?

In my mind, it is a no brainer to buy a full size truck instead of mid size unless you can't park it. There are plenty of people (like me) who are driving trucks and will never use them to their full capacity. When you look at cost of ownership and features, I would imaging a lot of people just choose a full size and take unneeded extra capacity since the cost differential is low in comparison to mid-size.

I'll probably test drive the Ridgeline in a couple of months after the buzz has died down a bit. The only reason I'm considering it is because I work in a city and parking my F150 sucks.

· Registered
54 Posts
...but if you’re looking mid-size seems a big jump to go to full-size, rarely any mention of the actual competition for the RL.
Here's why I am not looking at the direct competition:

• Colorado: Consumer Reports gives it the big black ball of death for reliability
  • Taco: Just not comfortable
  • Frontier: I'm currently driving a 2003 and don't like it. Won't buy another

· Registered
11 Posts
Same story for me so far. I have a 2004 Explorer Sport Trac with 106,000 miles. I finally gave up buying a newer one since they stopped making them in 2010 and are asking over $25,000 for them used and out of warranty.

I really want to stay mid sized and have been waiting for the redesigned Ridgeline to come out for a few years since I hated the buttress bed. I test drove the Tacoma and was disappointed with the manual drivers seat and the manual rear sliding window, even on the limited the model. What is the point of that? Plus it was well over $40K!

I also looked at the Frontier since they will sell you the top of the line SL for $30K. However, they have poor fuel economy, an outdated interior, and also a manual rear sliding window. I think my Sport Trac is better than a brand new Frontier.

I was disappointed to see Honda make you buy the Elite in order to get the moonroof and power sliding rear window. $42K plus just seems ridiculous to me. I have found loaded F150 XLTs for in the high $30s but I don't feel I will like the maneuverability of them. Plus my wife has an Odyssey and Honda seems to treat their customers much better than Ford.

My Sport Trac runs well still. I love the fact that it has the hard locking tonneau cover, a column shifter, running boards that came standard, and a huge power sliding back window. I just hate the MPG (14-15 miles) and the lack of technology. I'm just going to sit back and hope by the end of the year the RL will be selling at invoice, especially the RTL-Es. And read everyone's reviews!

· Registered
140 Posts
Interesting and timely thread.

I've owned a 09 Ridgeline since it I purchased it new in Dec 2008. I can honestly say it was the best vehicle I've owned in terms of reliability and usability. I gave it a solid "A" for about 80% of what I needed it for. I gave it a "C" or maybe a "C-" for the other 20%. That 20% was mostly related to towing and capacity.

I was really, really, really hoping that the new Ridgeline would be something different. I had full plans to buy one. I was hoping for something more truck-like. Didn't need to be any bigger but I was hoping for a higher towing capacity and possibly a larger fuel tank. I'm very dissapointed by the new Ridgeline - I find it not only incredibly un-attractive, but i find it less truck-like than the Gen 1. Let's face it - it's a pilot with a box on it.

Anyhow, I just traded my beloved Ridgeline in on a F150 3.5L ecoboost. There is simply no comparison to the Ridgeline.....twice the HP...twice the torque, twice the towing capacity (9600lbs) and only marginally worse fuel economy. In fact when i'm towing - i get MUCH better fuel economy in the F150. Add in the fact that I can use a proper weight distributing hitch, built in trailer sway control - and a much larger fuel tank - it's an absolute no brainer. Towing my 20foot 4000LB trailer in the hilly terrain i live in, the ridgeline was a white knuckle experience - it was underpowered, constantly searching gears - and you had to absolutely hammer on the thing to get it up to highway speed. Add in some cross wind and\or headwinds and quite frankly I never felt comfortable and\or particularly safe towing. Yes it could tow...but was it meant to be doing that?..the answer is no.

In this day and age, with these mid size trucks getting only marginally better (if any better) fuel economy, I really can't see how there will be much long term success with the current crop of mid-size trucks. They aren't really all that much cheaper and they are way less powerful. I predict another 5 or so years of mediocre sales then honda will pull the plug on it. Why didn't they put a diesel in it? Why didn't they get innovative? And i'm not talking about electronic gadgets like speakers in the bed.

Will the reliability of my F150 be a factor? I dunno - but I made sure to buy an extended warranty just in case :) that being said, my 2009 honda civic was an utter piece of crap - it was cheap and we got exactly what we paid for...so I'm not sure that I can just say it's Honda so it will be better or it's North American so it will be worse. My 09 Ridgeline was absolutely bullet proof in terms of reliability.

I really do miss my trunk though......and yes the F150 is bigger..a fair bit...but you really do get used to it.

· Registered
452 Posts
Interesting and timely thread.

I've owned a 09 Ridgeline since it I purchased it new in Dec 2008. I can honestly say it was the best vehicle I've owned in terms of reliability and usability. I gave it a solid "A" for about 80% of what I needed it for. I gave it a "C" or maybe a "C-" for the other 20%. That 20% was mostly related to towing and capacity.

I was really, really, really hoping that the new Ridgeline would be something different. I had full plans to buy one. I was hoping for something more truck-like. Didn't need to be any bigger but I was hoping for a higher towing capacity and possibly a larger fuel tank. I'm very dissapointed by the new Ridgeline - I find it not only incredibly un-attractive, but i find it less truck-like than the Gen 1. Let's face it - it's a pilot with a box on it.

Anyhow, I just traded my beloved Ridgeline in on a F150 3.5L ecoboost. There is simply no comparison to the Ridgeline.....twice the HP...twice the torque, twice the towing capacity (9600lbs) and only marginally worse fuel economy. In fact when i'm towing - i get MUCH better fuel economy in the F150. Add in the fact that I can use a proper weight distributing hitch, built in trailer sway control - and a much larger fuel tank - it's an absolute no brainer. Towing my 20foot 4000LB trailer in the hilly terrain i live in, the ridgeline was a white knuckle experience - it was underpowered, constantly searching gears - and you had to absolutely hammer on the thing to get it up to highway speed. Add in some cross wind and\or headwinds and quite frankly I never felt comfortable and\or particularly safe towing. Yes it could tow...but was it meant to be doing that?..the answer is no.

In this day and age, with these mid size trucks getting only marginally better (if any better) fuel economy, I really can't see how there will be much long term success with the current crop of mid-size trucks. They aren't really all that much cheaper and they are way less powerful. I predict another 5 or so years of mediocre sales then honda will pull the plug on it. Why didn't they put a diesel in it? Why didn't they get innovative? And i'm not talking about electronic gadgets like speakers in the bed.

Will the reliability of my F150 be a factor? I dunno - but I made sure to buy an extended warranty just in case :) that being said, my 2009 honda civic was an utter piece of crap - it was cheap and we got exactly what we paid for...so I'm not sure that I can just say it's Honda so it will be better or it's North American so it will be worse. My 09 Ridgeline was absolutely bullet proof in terms of reliability.

I really do miss my trunk though......and yes the F150 is bigger..a fair bit...but you really do get used to it.

I'm with you. Traded my '10 RL in on a '14 F-150 with the 5.0. Main thing I miss from the RL is the trunk. I too was hoping it would be different from the pilot but I agree, just a pilot with a bed. I've seen a couple driving around and I'm really glad I didn't wait for it to come out. I really don't like it. I would have loved the old style with the updated engine, transmission, bed and 4WD, that would have been pretty sweet. But now it's basically just a pilot. They should have named it like ford did with the explorer and sport trac. That would have named it better. But to each his own if you like it you like it.
But I love the F-150. The size didn't take long at all to get used to. And I'm actually getting 1-2 mpg better than I was with the RL.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
244 Posts
I'm considering an 4WD XLT Supercab, FX4. Tow Package, console I/O bench seat, 301A, 2.7L, moonroof, power rear window, 36 gallon tank, 110 outlet in blue jean color. MSRP is $45305 and I'd be at $37K after rebates.
Concerns are rear legroom and the backwards opening doors. Ridgeline has more legroom.
Comparing Ram 1500 Outdoorsmand Quad Cab and GMC Sierra with the Ford. Have not driven the Ram yet. GMC is significantly more money.
Not sure I'm ready to give up the Ridgeline yet. Have not had it appraised for trade in yet.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.