Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son purchased his iLX-007 Alpine CarPlay unit in January of 2015 — three months before I did and had been routinely checking Alpine’s website over the course of the intervening 4.5 years for firmware updates. His HU always seemed to be a tad buggy when compared to mine.

According to the manual any available updates were supposed to be user installable via usb drive (see attached section of the iLX-007 manual). However nothing ever popped up on Alpine’s website. Furthermore my son found in one forum Alpine seemed to suggest they simply never produced an update for the iLX-007. In yet another post, Alpine responded to an inquiry regarding firmware updates for the unit by stating none existed.

Turns out, as my son discovered, this was not the case. During a visit to see me earlier this month to help me with the steering wheel control interface on my Ridge, he made it a point to check our firmware versions. Sure enough, his was version 1.0 and mine was version 1.2. Clearly, there had been at least 2 firmware updates.

Now here’s the real rub, as my son explains, “So I called Alpine with this evidence and they said these updates were never publicly released, and they were not allowed to send me one to install myself. However, they allowed me to ship my unit to them—with a $50 check—and they performed the update at their California repair center. This process took a painful 2 weeks—but the unit runs much better now that it is no longer 8 versions out of date (I’m on 1.8 now).”

Go figure. So now I, and goodness knows who else out there, am at least 6 firmware versions out of date. Alpine, please say it ain’t so. Something here doesn’t pass the smell test. Anyone on ROC care to check and share what version they have? Glad I saved my box.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oddly reaction quite muted here on the ROC. When my son posted the sad news on Reddit, it lit up like a Christmas tree. https://www.reddit.com/r/CarPlay/comments/cgutyb
Also Alpine is very quiet, of course. The take-away I derived from Reddit responses is that Alpine doesn't care. It would rather say nothing so as not to interfere with new unit sales. So Alpine apparently does employ built-in obsolescence with the iLx-007 because it's profitable. I was shocked at how readily and matter-of-factly Alpine acknowledged its our-way-or-the highway attitude about the ruse when my son discovered it.

Pioneer, for example, makes it quite easy for firmware updates in the usual download to USB-drive fashion. With the house improvements we're undergoing, I haven't yet had the time to spar with Alpine directly ... but looks like I've got no choice but to pony up Alpine's $50 ransom for the firmware updates. I'll continue to spread the word. AudioKarma is the forum I'll post to next. It's certainly the last Alpine I'll ever own; that goes double for my son.

·
Super Moderator
6,697 Posts
Unfortunately @news2u this place has changed “A LOT” between the G2 of which a majority of sales are of BE, RTL-E, & RTL-T, all of which have the 8” HU which doesn’t lend support to changing the HU out and the G1 owners have been overall on the quiet side since the G2 rollout.

Added Forum changes and absolutely worthless search functionality, well some are not even able to find the “latest” activity, others are pissed off with the fact that the entire forum is marked “new” and some are lost since they can’t just click on a New Posts button.

Thanks for the update

I would have to agree with trying to get it to some major publications and get it out to more people might be worth exploring. Also thanks for the reddit link

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately @news2u this place has changed “A LOT” between the G2 of which a majority of sales are of BE, RTL-E, & RTL-T, all of which have the 8” HU which doesn’t lend support to changing the HU out and the G1 owners have been overall on the quiet side since the G2 rollout.

Added Forum changes and absolutely worthless search functionality, well some are not even able to find the “latest” activity, others are pissed off with the fact that the entire forum is marked “new” and some are lost since they can’t just click on a New Posts button.

Thanks for the update

I would have to agree with trying to get it to some major publications and get it out to more people might be worth exploring. Also thanks for the reddit link
I get the point about the G2 Head Units and the G1 crowd's reticence to engage. And, yes, navigating the changes, particularly, searches and finding the latest leaves much room for improvement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
news2u
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing