Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else tripped on the parking brake pedal or banged their leg on it? I feel like taking a hacksaw and cutting the pedal down a couple of inches to give me more leg room. I even went back to the Honda dealer to check the other vehicles and the Pilot and Ody had same long annoying pedal, and they have been around for years so this is not a new vehicle kind of thing they fix in next year. Anyone come up with a good retrofit solution? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I haven't had a problem yet, but I can see where it may become an issue sometime. I really wish they would move both the brake and the shifter to the center console somewhere (yes, I know this means losing function in the cool sliding console). Then we can have back the misting feature by pulling the handle rather than twisting it. But I am willing to live with it this way for a good long time. Just have to be careful and remind my wife to watch it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
When in my wife's car I keep grabbing the windshield stalk to shift!

There is no reason the shifter can't be in the dash where the useless middle pop-open thingie is. Toyota does it this way, they mount a floor style shifter in the dash on their minivan. It looks odd at first, but is very practical. You get the functionality of a normal center shifter without the loose of space between the seats.

On a side note, How many times have you shifted into "2"? You know where the stop is when you want to put the shifter into (hopefuly) "D"

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Whaleya said:
On a side note, How many times have you shifted into "2"? You know where the stop is when you want to put the shifter into (hopefuly) "D"
Never. If you look at how the gears are configured in the book, you should be able to see that if you hold the handle in a specific way there should be almost no way you end up in 2nd gear. My only problem is I stopped too soon one day in N and ended up just revving the engine and going no where.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have read other comments regarding shifing into D2 instead of D. I have only had this happen once. I think the ones who shift into D2 maybe pulling the shifter down to hard. I am amazed at how easy it is to bring the shifter down. There is a noticable "bump" in the shifter before going into D2. I recommend going a little easy on the pull down and see if that works. :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've never shifted into 2... have put it in neutral, but now I have the "feel" for it and don't do that anymore either

I can't figure out how you can trip on the parking brake pedal. Seems out of the way for me. :)

I love my truck

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
I too was shifting to D2 for the first few days of ownership. I was just getting used to my wifes new Highlander (really nice car) and would automatically drop my right hand to the center console of my new Ridge and shifted some "air" but you really do get used to it. I have not shifted into D2 by mistake since then. :D

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
jeffiam said:
lol.......ive done the "air shift" also due to driving my wifes accord. i tell ya what 5S DUDE, that "air shift" transmission is whisper quiet. :D
Another big plus is you can hardly "feel" it shift!! :p

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
BillB said:
Has anyone else tripped on the parking brake pedal or banged their leg on it? I feel like taking a hacksaw and cutting the pedal down a couple of inches to give me more leg room. I even went back to the Honda dealer to check the other vehicles and the Pilot and Ody had same long annoying pedal, and they have been around for years so this is not a new vehicle kind of thing they fix in next year. Anyone come up with a good retrofit solution? Thanks.
BillB, I'm pretty short so I've got to adjust my seat forward a whole bunch and in doing this, I too have clobbered my leg while getting out! (Ouch!) I was thinking about machining “extension blocks” like the decorative one’s that cover the existing stock gas and brake pedals so I can adjust the seat away from the dash and make exiting easier! What are your thoughts? Have you tried to adjust your seat rearward to see if this will improve getting out without bashing our legs? :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts