Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I bought my 2017 ridgeline and Leer over the current mid size SUVs in large part because the Ridgeline with a Leer cap enabled me to efficient carry my long ( up to 20 feet ) kayaks, canoes and surfskiis due to being able to position kayak saddles more than 6 feet apart vs the 2 foot spread available on my SUVs etc.
I wanted a different locking scheme for the tail gate than presented here
Since I already had steel reinforced lockable straps for my SUPs and kayaks , I utilized them
One locking strap snakes thru the two rear upper bed tie down brackets and back outside around the tailgate to lock and prevent the tailgate from opening at all in either of the two modes

·
Registered
932 Posts
I had no idea that LEER had a canopy out for the new Ridgeline already?

I don't have a need for one myself, but it's cool that it's an option for people, and that it actually looks really nice.

ON your pictures, follow your own link and then you can open each picture clicking on a thumbnail. Once you have a picture opened over to the right is a series of copy boxes where you can copy the appropriate link to your pictures. For forums, hover over the one that says IMG and left mouse click it. It will turn yellow and show copied.

Come back to your replay and right click then paste.

No other tags need to be used. Just paste the link as it was.

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, laugh if you must but I wanted a tailgate lock to go with my locking retrax tonneau. Not comfortable with an electric tailgate lock failing when the tonneau is locked. Mine will win no beauty contests but it was cheap, reliable, no actuator failures to worry about, easy to install, and it fits my needs. Stainless steel barrel bolt is all it takes for me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
OK, laugh if you must but I wanted a tailgate lock to go with my locking retrax tonneau. Not comfortable with an electric tailgate lock failing when the tonneau is locked. Mine will win no beauty contests but it was cheap, reliable, no actuator failures to worry about, easy to install, and it fits my needs. Stainless steel barrel bolt is all it takes for me.
Nothing to laugh at here - engineering simplicity at its finest and ingenious. Well done!

·
Registered
410 Posts
My 1976 Chevy Shove-it had the same lock for the drivers door... but I was a starving student driving an old **** box... I couldn't live with it now days even if I'm a big fan of K.I.S.S.

edit: hehe it was a chevette not a vega. doh... been a long time.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
If the engineers at Honda see that, It will probably be on the 2018's as a locking tailgate.
Interestingly enough, that was one of the choices on my most recent survey from Honda about potential desired options that are not available.

Reactions: Im Buz

·
Registered
83 Posts
Much as we shouldn't have to do this to a new 40k truck I am going to do the same exact thing.

But I thought about even use one of those locking hasps (the kind where the lock turns and you have a key), but this all depends on what I do for a cover.

Great job

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
Functional Modification Suggestion #1: Flip the lock over. It has potential to vibrate to "unlock". So its natural position needs to "hang" not to be "up". Nothing wrong with the idea though, good job

Edit: Sonofab... I totally missed post #5 @timo4352... he beat me to it. I see the post is older and I jumped on it without closer reviewing.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
Maybe someone could design a hitch appendage that would prevent the tailgate from opening?

Kinda taking a "sledgehammer to a fly" approach, but hey, whatever works!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Look at the Soft topper... I think i may have seen somebody mention it on here recently, but it looks simply amazing. Doesn't lock though to my knowledge. I won't ever need it to lock, but its nice nonetheless.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts