Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted an under seat storage bin, but didn't want to spent the $ for one from Honda. I spent $39.00 for an 1/8"x6"x76" piece of plate steel, $7.00 for a can of semi-gloss black spray paint and $4.00 for 2) 3/8"x1" bolts with nuts and medium fender washers. I heated and bent a 1 3/4" radius, starting 13 1/2" from each end and bent towards the ends. I cut a bevel into each end to meet the back of the cab floor. I then drilled holes to match up with the child seat anchors (which I will never use). Then I painted, let dry and installed. I used the fender washers to grip the child seat anchors and secure the new "bin".

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Very nice work and a great idea. I too often haul things that this would interfere with, so would look for a quick removal option. I wonder if you could pinch the back corners between the child seat latches for a friction fit. Could use Velcro to hold or a short bolt that would go into the latch hole to keep it from slipping.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Impressive! Very nice job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with the way it turned out. One of these days I'll learn how to spell "alternative". Or at least proof read my title before posting! lol

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I like it. Couple questions.
1) Since it's steel, any concern with leaving rust stains on the carpet?
2) what made you choose 6" height vs. 8"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like it. Couple questions.
1) Since it's steel, any concern with leaving rust stains on the carpet?
2) what made you choose 6" height vs. 8"?
1) All surfaces, except the bolts, nuts and washers are painted. So I hope that it won't rust. If I ever trade off the Ridgeline, I would leave it in there. I suppose if rust were a concern I could wrap it with plastic edge guard like you would use on your door edges. It is fairly cheap on Ebay and at auto parts stores.

2) I went with the 6" because looking at it with a tape measure, I wasn't sure that 8" wouldn't interfere with the legs folding/unfolding. I used pre-sized 6" width cut from a 20' length by the supplier. I would have had to trim the height by hand with a cut off wheel if I had gone with the 8" and it were too tall.

Thank you to the Moderator who corrected my title for me.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Nice Job,

Just speculating, but I think the next thing I would be looking for would be a quick disconnect to replace the two bolts, It's a sweet but simple design and I do think that I would want to get some door edge guard stuff in black for both the top and bottom edge, sorry but I could see the "SO", cut herself when placing something behind it.

Keep up the good work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts