Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently have the stereo cut out and it seems to be related to driving over bumps. Something loose connection wise ...where to begin the search?

thanks in advance,
JR

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Does the entire radio go off, such as in losing power, or does just the signal drop out, leaving a background noise?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The XM seems to have to reaquire signal/station info before starting and the AM/FM start back up fairly quickly..often by the time I look down. I was "hopeful" it may just be loose power connection which I assume means tearing into the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
The XM seems to have to reaquire signal/station info before starting and the AM/FM start back up fairly quickly..often by the time I look down. I was "hopeful" it may just be loose power connection which I assume means tearing into the dash.
Failed factory connections in protected environments like that behind the dash are fairly rare but certainly possible. It might be advisable to suspect a component failure in the head unit. Since the symptom seems to be related to vibration, either failure mode should be easy to duplicate but requires dash removal - which is very simple. There are ample how-to examples available on this forum. Once the dash is out and radio free of it's mount, a simple wiggle of the main plug and a light raps on the radio chassis should cause the symptom.

If the failure is inside the H.U., the likely component is a filter cap or coil in the input filter, which a competent electronic repair tech should be able to resolve. But that's just a guess with lots of variables.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Recently have the stereo cut out and it seems to be related to driving over bumps. Something loose connection wise ...where to begin the search?

thanks in advance,
JR
There was a TSB, a long time ago, relating to this (but it only addressed AM radio cutting out).

I have a 2006 RTL. I had mine repaired under warranty. The repair involved replacing a wire connection to the radio. The dealer actually ordered a new wiring harness and stripped the needed wire off of it.

It involved taking the dash apart. No problems since then.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Before you do anything 'serious' try swapping out your fuses.... it's (remotely) possible you have an 'intermittent' connection there. Not likely, but it's an easy thing to check before you start down the difficult path to reality.

ALSO, don't miss out on the tried & true old-school electrical troubleshooting method of "jiggle & wiggle". Just try 'fiddling' with connection points you can access to see if you can initiate the same kind of 'drop out'. 'Could help you track down the demon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts