Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took my first test drive in a RL RTL-T.

First let me say that I've watched almost every youtube video and review on the new RL and have read this forum for days. The general consensus is that the RL is the most comfortable mid sized truck offering. And comfort, is my top priority! However after the test drive, I just wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. Don't get me wrong, it's a great truck! Perfect for my requirements (going to Home depot for gardening supplies and the occasional moving of various items). I don't go offroad and don't tow anything any more. However, the truck didn't 'wow' me the way I thought it would after reading and watching all the comments and reviews. My intentions were to go after the RTL-E, but I doubt there's any real difference between the T and E regarding the ride, handling and overall experience.

So, at the title of this post states, "Am I missing something?"

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which model did you drive? We tried one of the mid-range models and then tried the T. There was a big difference in the feel and ride.
I have an E on order.
I test drove the T.

Maybe I was just expecting too much?

· Registered
183 Posts

First let me say that I've watched almost every youtube video and review on the new RL and have read this forum for days. The general consensus is that the RL is the most comfortable mid sized truck offering. And comfort, is my top priority! However after the test drive, I just wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. Don't get me wrong, it's a great truck! Perfect for my requirements (going to Home depot for gardening supplies and the occasional moving of various items). I don't go offroad and don't tow anything any more. However, the truck didn't 'wow' me the way I thought it would after reading and watching all the comments and reviews. My intentions were to go after the RTL-E, but I doubt there's any real difference between the T and E regarding the ride, handling and overall experience.

It sounds like the '17 Ridgeline might be the only truck you drove, ... If so, .. I'd highly recommend you test drive a few of the competitors, ... and then test drive the Ridgeline again. I think you'll see the difference! 0:)
OBTW, All the new Ridgelines have identical drive lines and running gear, with the only variable being AWD or not... I've driven all trim levels on rather lengthy test drives, before I purchased mine, and couldn't tell any appreciable difference in ride/handeling etc. ... IMO, the biggest difference, other than color & AWD, is personal preference regarding leather or cloth interiors and how many bells & whistles you prefer ....:wink:

· Registered
130 Posts

This may seem a bit of an odd question.
But have you owned any pickups before?
I must admit on perfectly smooth roads one can be lulled into a sensation that all pickups ride the same.
Now take it on a mild bumpy ride especially as the passenger.
Compare other trucks over the same terrains (pick smooth, bumpy and rough) at the same speeds. That will be the way to make as real world as possible comparison in a short test.

Remember still that though you are told it is a car like ride, that is true up to a point. The truck still has to have a stiffer suspension to carry the load. For example, the enclosed cousin the Honda Pilot (which still rides rougher than a nice sedan) has a max load capacity of 1173 lbs while the Ridgeline is 1465 lbs. Doesn't seem like much of a difference but suspension tuning will be different for the expected load. Thus, once would expect the Pilot to have a bit more supple ride compared to the Ridgeline.

But I am not here to convince you (I would do a very poor job of that). There are still days when I prefer to drive a nice sedan and enjoy the ride compared to any pickup (including the Ridgeline) or SUV.

· Registered
237 Posts
Ha, ha!! I felt exactly the same way after test driving one. In retrospect, I think the truck handled everything with such a lack of drama it nearly felt sterile. I pushed it through a corner, breaking loose the over-inflated tires riding on mold release compound failing to realize it was way faster than I'd try with my old Taco. Cabin was stupidly quiet and failed to convey much excitement.

Merging into traffic yielded a torque curve that felt like an inversion table and a tranny that shifted brilliantly. It seems to allow you to drive far above your ability and certainly far above the ability of an ordinary pickup. I'm thinking a few weeks in it would allow the exploration of some handling/braking/acceleration limits. For now I'm shopping and continuing to drive the Taco.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,898 Posts

Quick Question OP, Do you know if the RTL-T was FWD or AWD? I drove a FWD, and in my opinion I like the drive of my G1, better. YMMV

· Registered
392 Posts

Yes you are missing something, take myself, I've been driving a 2008 RTL I purchased new and have totally enjoyed the truck, it has cost very little to own and has done everything I asked it to do over the last eight years. When I decided to buy a new 2017 I had pretty much made up my mind that's what I was going to buy, I knew that after owing six Honda's that the vehicle would be just as the others, built with quality and features that would be well thought out by Honda. I like your self watched all the YouTube videos on the new RL's and saw some of the dislikes that some had, but really, some were so petty, I pretty much just blew them off as filler to complete the video to make it interesting. The biggest thing about the RL is trying to compare it to others like vehicles, it really doesn't compare, it's a totally different type of vehicle and you need to look at it that way. As far as the RL "wow" factor, I don't get too "wowed" about vehicles, I'm looking for smoothness, quietness, and handling, which I think you get in the new 2017 RL. The best complements I get on my RL is, owners of luxury cars ride in my RL and comment how nice it is, that says it all to me, they really don't have to say anything as they can afford to buy whatever they want, that to me tells me how nice it really is.

trainman

· Registered
926 Posts
You are in fact missing something. I'm not even sure how to respond to your post.

I've been in a lot of different equipment and vehicles over the years and have a pretty good calibration on my senses.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses!

To answer some of the questions;

• Yes, the T that I test drove was AWD
  • I presently have a 2008 GMC Canyon, a 2015 Challenger and a 2015 Cherokee which is my wife's
  • I've driven everything from sports/muscle cars, SUV,s and Mini vans

BTW, I'm 65 and have been around the block regarding all kinds of car & trucks. (Even have a 57 Chevy sitting at home).

I guess the reason for my post was that I was expecting something more out of the RL after reading all the hype and positive comments as per it's ride quality. It definitely is extremely quiet! So much so that I hardly heard it start up. But it felt kinda,,,, 'numb', if you know what I mean. My 08 Canyon also rides quite nice with very comfortable seats and there's a world of difference from the Challenger.

What we were looking to do was sell/trade in the Canyon and Challenger for the RTL-E. (Almost an even swap regarding money). This would bring us down to 2 cars (the Cherokee and the RL) reducing insurance and personal property taxes. And as my wife said, at this age we should strive to be a bit more practical as we're both retired and living within a fixed income. The RL is definitely a very practical vehicle and can easily fit the bill as an extremely versatile truck. But I have a feeling as I further reflect on the test ride that I was being influenced by the Challenger, as that's the car we drove to the dealership. You have no idea how difficult this transaction will be for me (if I go through with it) giving up that Challenger SRT!!!! She's a powerhouse and an extrelemy comfortable long-haul cruiser!

Any way, maybe now you all might have a more clear perspective on where I'm coming from and possibly why my test drive in the RTL-T was,,, under-inspiring.

· Premium Member
608 Posts
Now that you say you drove your Challenger to the dealership, and then back home, it makes sense to me. The RL stands out head and shoulders above it's class of trucks; however, when we were looking for a new ride for the wife, we looked at various SUV's, including the Lexus, Acura, and then a Jaguar F-Pace. Once my wife got my head out of the clouds regarding the F-Pace, we ended up getting her an Acura RDX. Money aside (The F-Pace, similarly equipped, was around 25k more than the RDX...), in retrospect, the RDX (and the Lexus) felt similar to the way you feel about the RL...smooth, quiet, comfortable, but not exciting like the F-Pace (or, in your case, the Challenger). For reference, we checked out a loaded CR-V. Once we got back into the RDX, we were sold.

I agree with the others, who say to drive a '17 Tacoma 4x4 Ltd, or a GMC Canyon, then get into the RL....find that not so perfect road near the dealer. That will be the better comparison and properly put into perspective, the quality of the ride, smoothness, comfort, etc. that you get from the RL.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Go run it through some turns, hard. If you drive a Challenger and have owned some sports cars, then go drive the Ridgeline again, but find some turns where you can push the truck. Take the turns like you would in the Challenger. Then you'll see the Ridgeline shine. No other truck on the market can match its' pavement handling.

· Registered
173 Posts
Go drive a Tacoma and then a RL on same day. I did and cancelled my Taco order to buy a RL.
THIS! A ride in a Tacoma is like flying no-class and a Ridgeline like Virgin Airlines First Class.

Reactions: Mr. Black and Max57

· Registered
1,781 Posts
THIS! A ride in a Tacoma is like flying no-class and a Ridgeline like Virgin Airlines First Class.
I did Virgin First Class in 2011. Man was that a nice ride to/from San Francisco. The seat (recliner really) was so adjustable you could damn near turn it into a bed. Food was top shelf, staff excellent. Had my own TV and google gave me a free laptop to use on the flight with free wifi. Man, I felt like Michael Jordan, just for a minute!

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Give up a Challenger SRT ? No way in my book ! Forget the RL ! lol

Steve M
Tell me about it, Steve,,,.....

Not an easy thing to do. My SRT only has 3500 miles on her and still has the 'new car' smell. She was a retirement send-off. We're only considering this to lower insurance and personal property taxes being we're both on a fixed income now. (both retired). My lovely wife says we should be more practical and thrifty now. I know she's right,, but,,, but,,,, give up my Challenger?????? lol.

Yeah, the RL is a great mid sized truck and clearly the most versatile, comfortable and innovative in it's class! But as I said previously, coming from a Challenger SRT makes the RL feel so,,, well,,, would boring be the right word? When I bought vehicles in the past, there was always a WOW factor I felt that added to the experience of the new car. There's no WOW this time.

The RTL-E in Forest Mist that I have first option on should arrive at the dealership in the next few days. Trading in the Challenger and Canyon "almost", brings me to an even swap. I guess we'll go down to see the truck, as we've never seen a Forest Mist in person and make the final decision then.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.