Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say that I am not, and have never been, a crowd follower. Lately I have been looking on the internet at various Ridgeline G2 reviews and such, and one thing that stands out is that most people hate the exterior styling, saying things like "looks like a Pilot", "not truck-ey enough", "looks weak", etc.. Well, I, for one, love the exterior styling. The raked back front, the angular cab back and bed, and the sharp body creases give it a modern, dynamic, and agressive look in my eyes. By contrast, other trucks look frumpy and old-fashioned with their rounded corners and puffed-out sheet metal, sort of like a child's balloon toy. So I'm wondering, does anyone else like the RL's styling, or is this just another way that I am weird? :smile:

·
Registered
926 Posts
I didn't get my RTL-T earlier than October because I didn't like the way the front end looked, at least not as much as the Tacoma or F150. However, everything else about the G2 persuaded me to look past the front end. It does look a lot different than other trucks. The look has grown on me, I love how it looks. Especially since I've blacked out the chrome everywhere.

I didn't even consider the Ridgeline until the G2 came out though. I really didn't like the way the G1 looked, although I have come to like it more. The back end still gets to me at times though.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't know if it is style or engineering but you can tell where your front end ends. May not seem like a big deal to some but I tend to tap things with my cars if I can't get a handle on where they end, front and back, sides too. I went from a CRV to a Ridgeline which is quite a bit more metal around me. I get there is more but driving it doesn't feel like a lot more. Perhaps just me but that is a big deal.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I like it. I always look at it when other people aren't around so I don't look too crazy for just checking out my vehicle. I get excited when I pass another one (which is rare) but I'm like...hey that looks pretty cool.
I wonder what non-owners think about it when I pass them by...they probably still have no clue what it is.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I love the look! I always go for outside-the-box and nontraditional styling. Tacoma and Canyon too conventional. So it was between RL and the Colorado and obviously I went for the Honda reliability.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
First, let me say that I am not, and have never been, a crowd follower. Lately I have been looking on the internet at various Ridgeline G2 reviews and such, and one thing that stands out is that most people hate the exterior styling, saying things like "looks like a Pilot", "not truck-ey enough", "looks weak", etc.. Well, I, for one, love the exterior styling. The raked back front, the angular cab back and bed, and the sharp body creases give it a modern, dynamic, and agressive look in my eyes. By contrast, other trucks look frumpy and old-fashioned with their rounded corners and puffed-out sheet metal, sort of like a child's balloon toy. So I'm wondering, does anyone else like the RL's styling, or is this just another way that I am weird? :smile:
Well, I'm one of those that can't get past the front end look. Between the fog lights and driving lights, my opinion is that Honda went blank on their imagination design. Everything looks rounded off but the combo of those lights look like they were just slapped on there at the last minute without any thought into it. And yes it looks like the front of a Pilot. To make matters worst, the front of the Pilot looks better than the Ridgeline. Not sure how that happened. Sometimes I imagine taking the front of the Pilot and slapping it on the RL just to see. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised that the whole front facia would plug and play. Wish someone would photoshop the Pilot facia to the G2 just to see, and I wouldn't drive one without the front leveling kit.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I wonder what non-owners think about it when I pass them by...they probably still have no clue what it is.
Here in Canada, most can't get by the front end and all my friends and co-workers think it's ugly as F. All kinds on dealer lots in Canada. No need to fight over them here as we don't seem to be warming up to the look to fast. I know when I see one, I absolutely don't envy the owner but I'm trying very hard to like it or go past the front look.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I love the look of the G2 Ridgeline if you look back at some of my earlier post about what G2 would look like. Some here wanted a With the early pics I liked the look of the pics that were closer to what we got. I don't hate the Pilot looks but I find nothing good looking/special with a Tacoma that many just love. I like the GMC Canyon better and Dodge Ram Tundra over Tacoma looks. Many think Tacoma is bold manly I just don't see it. G2 Ridgeline raked sleek.
I had to get G1 looks out of my mind when looking at G2.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well, I drove an Avalanche since 2003 so what do I know... lol I don't need the over done metal front ends of the Fords, Chevy and Toyota's. I test drove all of them and they felt so much bigger then they needed to be to push the "I"M A TRUCK" look. They did not have all the features the Honda has or the nice ride and touches. I like the shape of the RL G2. I like how it handles and it is sized for what I will use it for in the next 10 to 15 years. (I tend to hold a vehicle until the wheels fall off).

I received my truck on the 23rd of Dec. I have been stopped 3 times already when walking from or to it and asked about it... Its the new kid on the block. I hope to see many more of them on the road. My Dealer has sold every BE he has gotten but has not moved many of the below RTL or lower trim levels. If a T, E or BE comes in its off his lot within 2 days. (Mine came in at 9 am on the transport and I drove it off at 6 pm). Is that normal... not enough numbers yet to tell. I do hope its not a 1 or 2 year and done truck.

Merry Christmas all...

Hawk

·
Registered
471 Posts
When I first saw pictures of the '17 Ridgeline I wasn't blown away by its appearance, but neither was I turned off by it. When I first saw one in person I found the exterior much more appealing than I had in the pictures, and I found the interior to be nothing short of spectacular. Since acquiring an RTL-E I've grown more attached to the exterior styling and still am blown away by the interior. I don't sit around staring at my truck and don't really care what others think about how the Ridgeline looks. I do, however, sit around staring at the interior whenever I'm driving; therefore, the interior appearance is much more important to me.
The tailgate function, trunk, drivability, ride and IIHS designation as a Top Safety Pick (http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/ridgeline-crew-cab-pickup) have forever endeared this vehicle to me-beauty is as beauty does!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I actually really like the design. That being said, this thread would be more realistic if we spoke on how overdone the pickup style image has become and why Honda went against the grain. Personally I cannot see how someone likes to be seen in any of the other pickups out there. Then there is the 70's ride associated with all other trucks, they ride and handle rather poorly with the rear end bounding all over the place like a 70's car. Nothing out there comes even close to the handling and comfort of the RL. Must be getting old or something I guess.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Personally, if I was looking to buy a truck just for looks, it would likely not be the Ridgeline. It's OK, but Honda seemed to use no cutting edge thoughts in its design. A bit bland, but Honda may have taken a note from G1 sales. I had a G1, and really liked it. But, the style turned so many off. Thus sales plumited.
G2 is more traditional in exterior style, which is fine with me. I gravitated to the Ridgeline due to its utility, size, functionality, ride characteristics, and it's a Honda. This is the best riding, handling truck hands down. What we want in a truck 98% of the time.
As I continue to warm up to it, I find it looks better to me. Clean, simple lines.
By the way, my last truck was a F150. I disliked Dodge due to its styling looked over done, and cartoonish. Also...it was a Chrysler product.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It looks.......well, practical.

Don't like how the truck looks at all. Bland and, dare I say it, un-truck like. But I do like the visibility I get over the front of it and the fact that I can actually tell where the front of the truck ends (which is a problem in most other trucks).

Looks did not deter me from buying it because it had a lot of other.......well, practical things I wanted such as comfortable interior, great car-like ride, usable truck bed, versatile rear seat, in-bed trunk, good gas mileage.

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I first saw pictures of the '17 Ridgeline I wasn't blown away by its appearance, but neither was I turned off by it. When I first saw one in person I found the exterior much more appealing than I had in the pictures, and I found the interior to be nothing short of spectacular. Since acquiring an RTL-E I've grown more attached to the exterior styling and still am blown away by the interior. I don't sit around staring at my truck and don't really care what others think about how the Ridgeline looks. I do, however, sit around staring at the interior whenever I'm driving; therefore, the interior appearance is much more important to me.
The tailgate function, trunk, drivability, ride and IIHS designation as a Top Safety Pick (Vehicle details) have forever endeared this vehicle to me-beauty is as beauty does!
Ditto, ditto and ditto!

I couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I am not a Honda guy and have never owned one. We've probably owned about 25 cars and trucks in the last 25 years.

I will say I was a closet fan of Honda coming out with the first gen Ridgeline even though I didn't care for the looks of it. I was still excited for Honda to try something at least.

That being said, I always found myself waiting and waiting for the next version to come out.

Finally a long near 10 years later I saw some pictures released of what could be the 2nd gen Ridgeline and I was listening in a big way.

We didn't need another car to add to a already huge fleet of cars, but there was something about the new Ridgeline that got me super excited about it and what it can do.

My wife runs a small side business outside of our both already existing full time jobs and this little trucks is doing a fantastic job. Not to mention some small tax benefits. ;)

The bonus is I get to use it as a new daily driver. Love it.

As for the looks, I know that is subjective to many but we really do like the looks of it. Especially compared to the first generation.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I really like the styling, but find the factory stance to be mostly disappointing... The Leveling kits make a world of difference, thus mine has already been leveled out... With that minor tweak I find them to be user-sexy.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I really like the styling, but find the factory stance to be mostly disappointing... The Leveling kits make a world of difference, thus mine has already been leveled out... With that minor tweak I find them to be user-sexy.
First thing we did as well. It should have came that way from the factory of course just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
I don't think it's terrible at all.

* I like the back stance
* The Front is ok but I'm not giddy about it
* An offset front angle profile looks sharp
* An offset rear angle profile is ok
* A straight on profile (full left or full right) is the least appealing to me, the cab is just a little too long looking an chopped at the back, like they just cut the Pilot. If they could have just shortened the appearance of cab by 3" or gave it a rounded top, maybe that could have helped. The lighter color trucks (and the scarlett) get away with it better than my black.
* The wheels on the profile are just a tad too small for the shape. Very Asian build. If those wheels were maybe an inch taller, I think it would all come together better.
* The interior looks great as far as styling.
* No offense to anyone with roof racks, but they could have done better there, too. Reminds me of the homeliness of the Nissan when the racks are on.

It looks great for a mid-size. Not as scrawny/anemic as the Colorado, although the Colorado has a sportier attack from the front. GM did a good job on the style so that if you butch or doll it up, it doesn't look terribly gaudy. Whereas, I think the Honda doesn't do as well in that area. I don't even care for the running boards I put on. The body panel profile of the truck just looks too tall.

Overall I still make this statement. It looks a "lot" better in person than their early photos. And I'm not disappointed with the appearance. Overall better than the other mid-size choices. And the image fits the demo of those interested in it. They did fine. Not to knock the G1, but I like it "much" better than the G1 at least this looks like it has real windows and not airplane portal windows.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts