Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AM radio has an intermittent disconnect with the antenna. It creates a loud static noise and sometimes comes in fine. Most of the time it's low volume and staticy.
I took my truck to the dealer and they said the disconnect is a coax connection up in the headliner. They said it would cost $500 to go in and reconnect it, because of the headliner removal to get to it. I like AM talk radio, but not for $500. This is a real design flaw. I can't get local news. I just listen to satellite radio now.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm not positive, but I think there is a TSB concerning this problem. I've heard similar stories about radio reception here on the ROC.

I'm sure someone will chime in and let us know if I'm correct or not?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I've always had that problem with the AM stations in my OEM radio. Didn't care since I listen to my ipod.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
the search feature is your friend,

search: radio static, long thread about this issue.

good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a Technical Bulletin for this problem. They have to replace the antenna wire that goes to the rear window. They did it for me no problems.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
here is page 1 of 4 of the TSB. It strange, I had the problem for about a week and it was very pronounced. Then it went away and thats been 10k miles ago. I continue to drive the same bumpy roads to work every day. I suppose that it will return, but its just fallen off the to do list for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
For all ROCrs that did the TSB shown above.

Was it worth it? I mean the time involved and the fact that I will have to petition for goodwill consideration.

I don't typically listen to AM radio but sometimes quick news/traffic is nice..:confused:

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If you can get the work done for free, it's worth the effort, but I wouldn't spend 10 cents on the OEM antenna. It's JUNK.

·
Registered
161 Posts
We had same problem and I took it to the dealer and they replace it for free. After they said they fixed it we still had same problem. I took it back again and they fix it for good. There are 2 wiring harnesses, a short one and a longer one. So if you take it in make sure they replace the correct harness.:)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Here are the 3 other pages of TSB 07-079. Im surprised that they go to all the trouble of replacing both harnesses. If its a connector issue, seems like reterminating the ends would be overall less work. Perhaps shops are better able to swap assemblies, but in this case it that looks like more work. From the TSB it seems like the issue is at the under dash location rather than in the headliner. Anyone know exactly where the problem is?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
What's AM radio?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just noticed this problem on my '06 also. While tuned to a medium strength AM station, I am getting static crashes in sync with hitting bumps in the road. Looks like the fix is pretty labor intensive, and my Ridge is beyond the 3/36 basic warranty. Why do these "hidden" antennas always prove to be a problem? I never thought they work as good as a good old whip.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Had mine fix a while back. After all, Rush is on AM. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my FM radio. After a talk with the Honda dealer today I am scheduled to get it fixed this Friday. I just bought the RL this past weekend from a small non Honda used car dealer. It's 8 days out of warranty but after talking with the manager they are going to do it under warranty for me. They said it takes about 6 hours to do. I can't believe it's going to take that long. Thanks goodness it's free.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just a follow up on this issue. I tried to get the dealer to fix mine, but it was out of warranty. I finally had some time to take the radio out and inspect things. In my case, I could tap on the front panel of the radio and make the static occur, so I knew it had something to do with the antenna right at the radio. After seeing the antenna connections, it doesn't surprise me there was problems. The antenna wire goes through multiple small connectors. Anyone who knows radio equipment can tell you this is a poor design. The old tried and true Motorola coax going straight into the back of the receiver is still the best in my opinion. I put a crimp in one of the pins to get more friction on the connection and put everything back together. That fixed it, at least in my case. No static at all now, even going over heavy bumps. The AM radio was virtually unusable before this.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Thanks for the FYI, and glad that an acceptable fix should hopefully be a small project. Had it required the whole harness to be replaced or even open up the headliner like the TSB, think I would have just lived with it. In my case I only have the problem in the morning, seems to be related to cooler morning temps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would like to try the crimping solution since I have been through having the antenna wire replaced from the dash to the back and then the harness under the dash. After a year the problem is back. Sooooo, how does one remove the radio from the dash so I can get to the connectors?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I would like to try the crimping solution since I have been through having the antenna wire replaced from the dash to the back and then the harness under the dash. After a year the problem is back. Sooooo, how does one remove the radio from the dash so I can get to the connectors?
Check out H&A website for pdf installation files. Such as this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you for the info on getting the installation procedure from H and A. Doesn't look too hard. Since I will be pulling out the radio, my next step is to find a cable connector to run my non-ipod through the radio system. Something way less then the $150 cable from H and A.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Thank you for the info on getting the installation procedure from H and A. Doesn't look too hard.
Believe me, it looks worse than it really is. So easy, a caveman can do it! :act035:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts