Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Oh man, I was just going to post that. :)

March 3,875
April 3,365
may 3,297
June 3,585

Can we conclude anything about these numbers? There's probably not enough data here to establish a trend, other than June may be the beginning of a up tick in sales.

I think price is the only thing that is putting a drag on sales. If I were Honda I would be shipping more RTs putting the RL into the 25, 26,000 range (if people cut a good deal) where it would be more competitive in the truck market. Everthing I see on the lot here are RT-Ls, not even a RT-S. I think if there were more RTs on the lots, you would see Honda pushing 5-6000 units a month. My 2 cents.............probably less.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I know that these trucks are expensive...but when I priced out other trucks that I wanted, and similarly equipped them , the pricing was right up there. And , in the case of the Tundra, I was up to $42,000 and no stability assist or braking assist. Everyone is used to Honda being a price conscious company. I do not think anyone in this forum is interested in owning a ford ranger, or stripped chevy. I believe the value is there. Please don't misunderstand me, I want the lesser price too. However , reality is kicking me in the head.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'll stand by what I've said all along. Honda made a major gaffe in marketing this truck. They thought that they would sell 50,000 units to Honda owners. Just look at the makeup of this forum. Many are Honda owners, but many are not. They're pickup truck owners who switched brands. This is an innovative, ground breaking vehicle, and Honda treated it like a Pilot option package.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I agree Shovelhd. Honda could have done a lot more to promote the ridgeline as an entirely new and different vehicle. In my case I was literally walking into the dealership to buy a Pilot. My salesperson saw me pause to look in the window of the Ridgeline parked at their front door. He tossed me the keys even though he knew that he had a sure sale for the Pilot. The rest is history. I switched from a Pilot to the Ridgeline within the first 1/4 mile. I test drove the Pilot again just to be sure. I like the Pilot a lot, much more than any other similar SUV, but the Ridgeline is better and there is no question that it is unique. Honda's only financial gain was the difference in price. They also gained a very excited and enthusiastic customer. Not that I would not have been happy with the Pilot but I would have blended in with the crowd and continued on my way as a happy owner. I doubt that there is a Pilotownersclub.com. I doubt that I would have been doing as much free promotion for Honda with a Pilot. There certainly would not have been as much fun and enthusiasm with a Pilot. This ridgelineownersclub.com site contributes significantly to the fun and the enthusiasm. Honda should be darn grateful for this site and its many fine members. We do a better job of promoting the Ridgeline than they do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ultra-HOG, thats too funny. Exact same for me, I went to the dealership to buy the Pilot. The only thing i whined about to the dealer was that I like a tighter cornering suspension. They said, well, you should take our truck for a spin... I said truck?? Honda has a truck? But I really want an SUV...

After the same 1/4 mile i knew i was taking home a truck.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I agree that marketing should have been better, even before the debut.

I love Hondas but am not 'fanatic' about it. When my wife and I decided to buy new cars (mini-van for her, truck or SUV for me) I wasn't even aware that Honda was coming out with the RL. And, that was in February, 2005. Nothing on the dealership windows or anything.

If it weren't for the fact that I told the sales lady we were buying two vehicles and Honda was on the short end because they didn't have a truck, then I never would have known they were coming out in a month! She gave me the small 'poster' brochure and I walked away very excited. I was pretty much set on a Toyota (for a truck, since I consider them second best overall to Honda) until then. I didn't even see anything on their website when I was researching SUV's.....

I am glad we were not in a hurry to buy our vehicles back then because I would be kicking myself today! I believe Honda makes the most reliable vehicle on the market as well as one of the safest.

So here I sit the proud owner of two of the best products Honda has to offer, no thanks to efforts of their own! Even moreso, a proud member of the best group online- ROC! Because of this site, any person can learn more about the Ridgeline than those that sell them!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
We have a Pilot as well. It's a great SUV. We're very happy with it. It rides nicer than the Ridgeline, and is a better people mover. Plus it has the DVD player for the kids.

There's a great site much like this one which I used extensively before I bought the Pilot.

http://www.hondapilot.org

1 - 8 of 8 Posts