Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a G2 RT and have installed an aftermarket amp/sub combo. The ANC was killing me and very annoying so I figured I would disable it and post my findings. From what I have read the ANC unit is linked with the nannies on the higher trim models so this might not be possible on the RLT-T and up.

The ANC unit is behind the glovebox. Took me about 10 minutes to disable it and get everything put back together. There are three trim pieces you need to remove to remove the glove box. The passenger side floor panel, the piece that surrounds the upper part of the glovebox and the side piece that caps it all together. The passenger side floor panel removes very easily. It has two prongs near the firewall that you simply pop free. After that there are four clips along the bottom of the glovebox. The trim piece covering the upper portion of the glovebox is more difficult. It has around 9-10 clips placed all across it. Pry very carefully working from clip to clip and making sure not to bend the piece and it should come off. The side cover was easy to remove, I just pushed it outward and the clips popped free.

There are two bolts that must be removed and four screws that must be removed that are hidden by the trim pieces. After these are removed there are two clips holding the glovebox into the dash assembly itself. After the entire dash assembly is free you must disconnect the trunk lock switch and the glovebox lightbulb. The glove box lightbulb rotates 180 degrees and then slides through the hole. The trunk lock switch is just like all of the other harness connections. Push the tab and it slides out.

Now that the glovebox is removed you are going to see two electronic units. A larger black unit (that I believe is the factory amp? not too sure on this) and to the left a smaller silver unit. This is the ANC. On the backside of the ANC unit is a single connector. I used my phones camera to get a good view on the connector. There is a single tab that you must push down in order to remove the plug. I secured the plug to the unit using electrical tape to ensure no rattle.

Simply reverse the instructions to get the glovebox put back together. Like I said it took around 10 minutes to complete. These two threads from the piloteers forums were very helpful: 2016 ANC - how to disconnect/disable? PLEASE!! - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums and Glove box light bulb? - Page 2 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums .

No check engine light so far. This completely disabled all ANC without having to cut any cords or risk damaging the headliner to disconnect the microphones. Speakers sound a little cleaner and no feedback through the subwoofer anymore.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't even notice the "active noise cancellation" . Overall it's a very quiet vehicle. I'm never aware of any odd noises or tones from the speakers or otherwise. What are you experiencing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't notice it until I added an aftermarket sub-woofer. At low speeds and during acceleration I was getting feedback through the sub that mimicked the accelerator. It sounds like the engine basically because it is supposed to drown out the sound it creates. The stock sub is too weak to notice, but with more power and a bigger driver it is loud and annoying.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
I didn't notice it until I added an aftermarket sub-woofer. At low speeds and during acceleration I was getting feedback through the sub that mimicked the accelerator. It sounds like the engine basically because it is supposed to drown out the sound it creates. The stock sub is too weak to notice, but with more power and a bigger driver it is loud and annoying.
Heh! I wonder if simply your speaker is reversed polarity. For example some brands push the cone forward on a positive DC charge, other pull it back. If the original sub was a - to + push and you replaced it with a - to + pull, you will just need to wire it in reverse polarity. You can check with with a 9 volt battery and attach the speaker, see if the cones pushes or pulls based on your polarity.

If you did replace the sub with a reversed polarity speaker, it would actually enhance the noise, oppose to dampening. The fix would be to switch the positive and negative on the connection. If the speaker is reversed, you would want to do this anyway, as you would want correct phase alignment for the audio.

I may already be stating something you know, but just thought I would throw it out there. I would be interested to hear (or not hear) your results.

Cheers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for this write up. Have a BE and it was the same to get it disconnected. I was thinking maybe I'd get more output or clarity out of the system with ANC out of the picture... but it was more like increased resonance or space. It's like with the ANC on, the cabin was "presurized" and with it off, everything can breathe now. It feels more open to me, and the speakers have more resonance and space as well. I can notice a bit more road noise without ANC, but not engine noise. I'm liking it without ANC at first blush, and was glad it was a simple process!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I previously replaced all the speakers with Polk, separates in the front with crossovers. It made a big improvement, but the sub was lacking. After installing an amp and sub box, I got the heavy rumbling, usually right after staring up and driving off. At times it was very loud and occurred several times, I also noticed the feeling of pressure and fatigue much more then before, I think the added power was boosting ANC’s effect.

I followed the instructions here, and a picture I found in another thread, and unplugged the module as described on my RTL-T. The rumbling noise and pressure are finally gone! I didn’t notice much difference in cabin noise, perhaps a little more road noise, but not much even with the radio off. Nothing else seems to be missing, doesn’t seem like I lost any features. Thank you for writing this up, I’d of never found that module!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the instructions, this made things much easier than removing the mic and cutting a wire. My only change or recommendation would be to remove the side piece second, then the upper dash part, as mine had an extra lip that was tucked inside of the side part.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
556 Posts
Although this an old thread it was very useful to me, and since the resources on finding information on this is limited, I figure I'll add my story here.
Even though my subwoofer is stock, I started hearing what I thought to be ANC feedback after changing out my door speakers. Test driving my new speakers, especially while playing loud and bass heavy music, I would hear a low frequency howl. I noticed that it would start as I accelerated and then at a certain RPM, (didn't notice what RPM was), the howl would start, then go away when the tranny changed gears and the engine RPM shifted.
I have read enough about ANC here to guess that to be the problem. Youtube does not have a good G2 video on this. There is a G1video but glovebox removal is not the same. There is also a 2016 pilot video which I thought would help, but the guy starts out by removing the sunglass holder in the ceiling and I knew that wasn't right.
The first post in this thread explained very clearly what I had to do, thank you. The only thing I would add is that once the glovebox is off, I tried to reach behind the ANC unit to disconnect the harness, but could not feel the tab. Those things are always more trouble for me than they should be!
Anyway, it would be a simple matter to just remove the bolt holding the bracket in place, except that bolt was a star shaped bolt, like the opposite (the male version) of a torx bolt. This seemed odd considering everything in this operation was a standard hex bolt or phillips screw. Anyway, I did not have a socket for that, but I was able to bend the bracket forward enough to see the harness and the tab, disconnect it, and bend it back. The OP said he used his phone camera to get a look at it, which was a good idea, but I didn't remember reading that part.
Anyway, reassembly was fine and I took a short test drive and was unable to recreate the sound, so I guess it worked. I was worried that maybe my interior noise would be more noticable, but noticed no difference whatsoever.

·
Administrator
16,103 Posts
I was worried that maybe my interior noise would be more noticable, but noticed no difference whatsoever.
ANC in the Ridgeline is designed to attenuate constant, low-frequency sound such as can exist at certain speeds when running in three-cylinder mode. It is not effective against high frequencies like wind noise or random noise like road noise.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
556 Posts
ANC in the Ridgeline is designed to attenuate constant, low-frequency sound such as can exist at certain speeds when running in three-cylinder mode. It is not effective against high frequencies like wind noise or random noise like road noise.
Have you heard of any cases where people thought that disconnecting ANC was a bad idea? It seems that most feel that ANC causes more problems than it solves.

·
Administrator
16,103 Posts
Have you heard of any cases where people thought that disconnecting ANC was a bad idea? It seems that most feel that ANC causes more problems than it solves.
Two or three posts from various Honda forums come to mind. If someone disabled your ANC without your knowledge, you may never know unless you hit the conditions where the resonance sets up in the cabin which appears to be mostly under light loads at lower speeds in 6th gear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts