This is just an FYI for those of you that may be experiencing a similar problem. I was using AA with no problems using a non-Samsung USB cable. I took my truck in for repairs so I was using a Chevy Malibu rental for the week. The Malibu had Android Auto so I decide to use that with my phone. All worked well, maps, music, etc. At the end of the week, I pick up my truck and attempt to use AA like always. For some reason, my phone would not connect with AA. I could play the music, but it was only when I used the Bluetooth connection with the Honda interface Graphical User Interface. The AA GUI would not work. I tried deleting the Bluetooth connection on the phone as well as on the Honda screen. I even deleted, cleared cache, etc on the AA app on my phone. Still no connection to AA. What I ended up doing was selecting the top option on the picture shown "Reset settings" and "Reset network settings" and also switched to a Samsung brand USB cable. After resetting those items, I had to go back thru setting up a new connection Bluetooth on the Ridgeline. Next step was to allow all the permissions for Android Auto on the phone.
th my phone.I'm not sure which one fixed my issue. I think it may have been multiple issues since I tried unsuccessfully to pair a different phone as well.
th my phone.