Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried android auto on my BE with a Galaxy S5. Looks very cool. Will get more into after work. Anyone else have comments about what it can do..seems miles beyond the stock Garmin Navi

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, for me is a must have. (Android Auto). Love it. Personally, I feel it is 10x better than the factory gps that came with my RTL-E.

Not just that.. all those honda sensing techs that came with it ...is a must have too. Thank you. HONDA. The only thing I missed is the 360 surround view camera from my Nissan. Other than that... near perfeCT for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just tried android auto on my BE with a Galaxy S5. Looks very cool. Will get more into after work. Anyone else have comments about what it can do..seems miles beyond the stock Garmin Navi
Hey G2be4me, I would love to comment! Alas, still waiting for my millennial son to show up to show me how to use it! I'm a Boomer and none of this stuff is on my 2004 Element. Ahum, I suspose my flip phone wont work? J.K. :act024:

Soon as I figure it out, I'll chime in.

·
Registered
561 Posts
We've tried both the Garmin system and Android Auto over a 2,200 mile drive. No question that Android Auto is much more intuitive to find a destination point. The Garmin is very klunky. However, the Garmin seems to work much more smoothly in the RTL-E and to have many more features. I'd like to have the Android Auto traffic and the Garmin interface, but of course it's one or the other. So far we are preferring the Garmin overall.

·
Registered
395 Posts
can you comment more on benefits over the stock garmin? the only real difference between the trim i want and the next one up (which i'm still deciding on) is the navi, bed audio, and led headlights. the difference between the two trims is $4k, so I'm still deciding whether i want the garmin nav or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
can you comment more on benefits over the stock garmin? the only real difference between the trim i want and the next one up (which i'm still deciding on) is the navi, bed audio, and led headlights. the difference between the two trims is $4k, so I'm still deciding whether i want the garmin nav or not.
In general, being able to use google maps means you can jump from a search, your contacts, or text/emailed addresses to navigation pretty quickly. To use all my prior navigation systems when I had the info on my phone, I had to input the address into the car's nav manually. My current car uses a Garmin system and searching for points of interest through it takes a long time.

I don't know if Android Auto limits being able to move around on the map during navigation, but its definitely limited in the Garmin OE systems.

Just a couple things I can think of (I haven't used it so I can't comment on the ease of use).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey G2be4me, I would love to comment! Alas, still waiting for my millennial son to show up to show me how to use it! I'm a Boomer and none of this stuff is on my 2004 Element. Ahum, I suspose my flip phone wont work? J.K. :act024:

Soon as I figure it out, I'll chime in.
Just install the Android Auto app from the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.projection.gearhead

Then plug your USB cable into the RL and turn the RL on. If a pairing screen doesn't come right up, open the Android Auto app.

Here's what you can expect:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big difference in voice recognition. We also have a 2013 MDX Advance. The interface on the new G2 Navi is more intuitive but I think it's just about as capable on recognizing voice commands. It's nice to have both but I think I'll be using the android interface more (not all the time). The recognition is the same as Google speak on your Android phone. I think and hope it will work better when driving if they even let you do that now. Also the android auto will have more apps coming. It already works with Pandora (save you $$$ over XM). I get the price difference but keep dealing and get that down. For me, I tend to take the pain to get the stuff that makes the car nice. But you have to know your limits. Can't wait to tailgate in the fall...Fight On Trojans and please don't get you a##'s beat too bad by the Tide and Kiffin and please don't fire the coach (yet).

·
Administrator
16,007 Posts
We've tried both the Garmin system and Android Auto over a 2,200 mile drive. No question that Android Auto is much more intuitive to find a destination point. The Garmin is very klunky. However, the Garmin seems to work much more smoothly in the RTL-E and to have many more features. I'd like to have the Android Auto traffic and the Garmin interface, but of course it's one or the other. So far we are preferring the Garmin overall.
I've noticed the Garmin system in my brother's '16 Civic has glitches (as does the entire infotainment system that has already prompted two software updates). Just the other day, it was trying to route us the opposite direction that we needed to go for no apparent reason. We just kept driving the correct way and after a couple of miles it finally "re...CAL...cu...lated" and corrected itself.

I never had any problems with the decade-old system in any of my G1s. It always got me where I needed to go although the graphics looked on par with an Atari 2600 from the 70s. It never crashed or froze or needed to be rebooted like some of the more complex systems today. The newer ones sure are a lot prettier to look at, though. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Google maps is still much faster updating new roads. We had a new bypass opened in the past month and it's already on Google Maps when using Android Auto. In Garmin, it looks like I'm driving in a cow pasture. Agree that Google has a more robust vocabulary as well. Eager to see Waze added to the choices for navigation. Also enjoy having Amazon Prime Music. Will enjoy the Sirius XM during the 3-month trial, but can't see paying for music with the already paid for or free options. Also glad that Honda finally got around to including HD radio. Couldn't believe it wasn't on my 2014 RL SE when I had it on Avis RENTAL Chevy Cobalt in 2009!

·
Administrator
16,007 Posts
"Online" maps like Google Maps, Apple Maps, etc. will always be more accurate since they're continuously updated. The Garmin maps that came with the vehicle are already months, if not a year old. At least Honda's newest models with the Garmin system get 4 free updates. For older models with non-Garmin systems, those 4 updates would cost $600 if you buy them right when they come out and they're still months out of date even brand new!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Other than the Google Maps aspect comma I'm actually very disappointed in Android Auto. Today I actually gave up and rolled cable up and threw it in the back. I find the Android auto interface to be very difficult to figure out. But I never have been quick to it picking up these new technologies.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,891 Posts
That 4K difference also includes AWD standard on the RTL-E. So assuming that you're going to get all-wheel-drive anyway, thinking of it as $4000 is a little misleading. And if you weren't planning to get it, you'd at least want to mention that as one of the key differentiators between the two trim levels.

I'm an iPhone guy and I don't think Apple has as good a map as Google. But I've also been using Garmin products for years. I like them. The traffic data isn't as good as Google's, but I actually prefer the user interface. It's designed for driving. There a lot of images of intersections and helpful information that you won't get on Google. For pure driving advantage, the Ridgeline's Garmin package is pretty darn good. I've been impressed. I think it's probably especially good for roadways you haven't traveled before. It may not help you as much on your commute.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That 4K difference also includes AWD standard on the RTL-E. So assuming that you're going to get all-wheel-drive anyway, thinking of it as $4000 is a little misleading. And if you weren't planning to get it, you'd at least want to mention that as one of the key differentiators between the two trim levels.
oops forgot to mention i was referring to the canadian trims ex-l and touring. AWD is standard across all five trims

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like Android Auto. It gives the choice of Waze or Google maps both of which I prefer to the Garmin. I get constant reminders that an update is available for the Garmin but it's a pain updating taking (I'm told by the dealer) 4 hours while with Waze and Google they are constantly updated. I also enjoy listening to many British radio stations with Android Auto. The satellite radio is expensive with fewer stations and I really don't miss Howard stern.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts