Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new mystery noise -- I hear it intermittently over rough patches of road -- sounds like it's coming from the rear roof, driver's side, but I can't tell if it's inside or outside. I haven't had the opportunity to have someone sit back there (or drive for me so I can sit back there) to get closer to the source. It sounds sort of like a plastic piece vibrating, but it's lower pitched. I thought it might be the trim piece that the brake light sits in, as that seems a little loose to me, but I'm not sure.

The service manager of the local dealer drove it with me, but of course we couldn't duplicate the noise while we were out.

Has anyone had a similar noise?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Could very well be the trim piece. I've been experiencing a vibration from the rear tail light trim piece but mostly in certain cross wind situations. Took my ridge in last week and the dealership said I had a bunch of broken clips that hold this in place. Mine seemed loose as well.

Of course they had to order them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeap. Have the same sound as well in my brand new Ridge. Much more pronounced with the sunroof tilted open. With it closed I can not hear it. Were you able to find a solution?

·
Registered
579 Posts
UglyTruckling said:
I've got a new mystery noise -- I hear it intermittently over rough patches of road -- sounds like it's coming from the rear roof, driver's side, but I can't tell if it's inside or outside. I haven't had the opportunity to have someone sit back there (or drive for me so I can sit back there) to get closer to the source. It sounds sort of like a plastic piece vibrating, but it's lower pitched. I thought it might be the trim piece that the brake light sits in, as that seems a little loose to me, but I'm not sure.

The service manager of the local dealer drove it with me, but of course we couldn't duplicate the noise while we were out.

Has anyone had a similar noise?
Before they fixed my speaker covers on the dash, it often sounded like the rattle from the driver's speaker was actually coming from the rear. It kind of projected itself back there or something. So you might check that out.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I haven't had an opportunity to take it back to the dealer yet. But I've noticed that it doesn't make this noise when the sunroof is open all the way. I've had my dash speaker covers fixed, so I'm pretty sure it's not that.... I've got a very slight rattle with the sunroof closed, but the cover open -- I'm wondering now if the slight rattle and the vibration noise are connected.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
NJDevil5 said:
Could very well be the trim piece. I've been experiencing a vibration from the rear tail light trim piece but mostly in certain cross wind situations. Took my ridge in last week and the dealership said I had a bunch of broken clips that hold this in place. Mine seemed loose as well.

Of course they had to order them.
NJDevil5 - FYI go here:http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34196#poststop

and read Whaleya's post on 10-19-2005 @ 8:11am

He has some good info about not reusing the gasket if you replace those clips.

Hope your dealer knows.

P.S. currently his post is 5th up from the bottom.

Joe

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took mine in on Monday for this noise (visit #2), and the creaky steering wheel (visit #2), and the TSB on the front passenger side leak (visit #1).

I couldn't hear the noise while driving it to the dealer -- I'd been driving with the sunroof open for several days before Monday, and I think that does something that affects the noise. Anyway, the service people couldn't duplicate the noise again, even on rough road.

I'm sure they're thinking I'm a nut, but when the noise is going, it's pretty irritating. I asked them about the rear trim again, but they poked at it and said they don't think it's loose. And my experience with the sunroof cover makes me believe the source is in the headliner somewhere.

They told me to bring it in anytime when I'm out with it and the noise starts -- problem with that is it usually starts while I'm on my way to work, 40 miles away from the dealer, or on my way home at night after the dealer is closed.

Very frustrating.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My sunroof cover in my Accord Wagon used to rattle if it was not either all the way open or all the way closed -- have you experimented with this?

Good luck...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had noises from the roof and went to the dealer 5 times. That's right 5. They said they found it and fixed it. NOT The last time I took it they said they could not make it make the noise so there was nothing they could do.
I read on this forum someone had the dealer remove the roof liner to ck out there noise and the noise went away. That started me thinking- I hit the whole inside roof with my fist and heard three clips snap in. Not more noise!!!!!! How nice! Thanks awful honda dealer! Hope this helps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts