Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
.....but not Honda or Takata. Saw a report that GM has issued an airbag recall notice and a Stop Sale order for the 2016 Canyon, Colorado, and Malibu. Only mention because of some posts here about the Canyon and Colorado being potential alternatives to the Gen2 RL. Looks like they will not be available for purchase for a bit.

· Premium Member
7,342 Posts
This is a very minor issue. The entire recall is only 1,579 vehicles. They know the current status of all 1,579 vehicles and this should be resolved within a week or so.

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed Joe is correct. I have now seen several references to similar numbers. The article I first saw yesterday about this did not mention that.....and I assumed numbers were much higher. Had I known this was so (relatively) small I wouldn't have even mentioned it. Apologies for that.

Anyway, I'm glad for current and perspective owners of these models.......and glad it seemingly isn't a huge issue with another airbag system supplier other than Takata - one who could potentially be a new supplier/retofitter for Honda and the Takata replacement debacle.

· Premium Member
7,342 Posts
This is LESS than a drop in the bucket compared to the Honda / Takata recalls. Takata is not involved and GM has discovered the root of the problem (which Honda and Takata are still trying to figure out since it's multiple reasons for failure).

The GM stop sale will be over before hitting the mainstream news. I tiny drop in a huge ocean. Nothing to worry about at all.

BTW, the new F-150 loaner is growing on me. Rides like and is as quiet as a luxury car. That transmission is amazing. The torque of the 5.0 liter V-8 is a dream to drive. Ford has the traction control system configured much better than the GM counterpart. It not only uses the traction control, but upshifts to 2nd gear very quickly. The rear wheel spin on wet, uphill starts is nearly a non factor. I'm not a Ford guy at all, but I'm very impressed by this 2016 F-150. It's as easy to park (or easier) than a first generation Ridgeline. Has a huge amount of torque (which means much more than horsepower) and get's better fuel economy (even with the biggest V-8 offered) than my Ridgeline. Yes it's large, but much better road isolation, cabin quietness, and turning circle than the Ridgeline. The seats are VERY comfortable.

I'm really starting to re-think this. I don't know if I can go back to another Honda with such poor road noise isolation... a chronic Honda problem.

I can honestly say I severely underestimated the F-150... and I'm NOT a Ford guy at all. I see why it's the best selling truck by far. It's huge, but magic.

Go drive one... I'm very impressed, but this is a $55,000 truck I'm driving while waiting on my Ridgeline airbag parts. Hope it takes a very long time.

· Registered
3,009 Posts
Thanks for the F150 update. It's the same experience as I had with my brothers 2014 EcoBoost on a 4 hour trip. Drove better, ride better, less road noise, better interior & like you noted it wasn't hard to park.

· Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,995 Posts
I like the sounds of your experience. I wish Enterprise would rent it with a camper shell (cap). I'd run down and exchange this Suburban out.

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm retired and work part time doings swaps and buys for an auto dealer that sells Honda, Nissan, Ford, GMC, Chevy, Ram + a number of other car brands so I get to drive them all - often several hundred miles at a time. The new F-150 is the only other vehicle I'll be considering besides the Gen 2 Ridgeline. They are a nice product. The only negative I've noted is that that they usually seem to get a bit less than advertised gas mileage......except the 2.7 EcoBoost is close...........again, IME.

· Administrator
24,909 Posts
This is LESS than a drop in the bucket compared to the Honda / Takata recalls. Takata is not involved and GM has discovered the root of the problem (which Honda and Takata are still trying to figure out since it's multiple reasons for failure).

The GM stop sale will be over before hitting the mainstream news. I tiny drop in a huge ocean. Nothing to worry about at all.

BTW, the new F-150 loaner is growing on me. Rides like and is as quiet as a luxury car. That transmission is amazing. The torque of the 5.0 liter V-8 is a dream to drive. Ford has the traction control system configured much better than the GM counterpart. It not only uses the traction control, but upshifts to 2nd gear very quickly. The rear wheel spin on wet, uphill starts is nearly a non factor. I'm not a Ford guy at all, but I'm very impressed by this 2016 F-150. It's as easy to park (or easier) than a first generation Ridgeline. Has a huge amount of torque (which means much more than horsepower) and get's better fuel economy (even with the biggest V-8 offered) than my Ridgeline. Yes it's large, but much better road isolation, cabin quietness, and turning circle than the Ridgeline. The seats are VERY comfortable.

I'm really starting to re-think this. I don't know if I can go back to another Honda with such poor road noise isolation... a chronic Honda problem.

I can honestly say I severely underestimated the F-150... and I'm NOT a Ford guy at all. I see why it's the best selling truck by far. It's huge, but magic.

Go drive one... I'm very impressed, but this is a $55,000 truck I'm driving while waiting on my Ridgeline airbag parts. Hope it takes a very long time.
I'm sure Honda will lose more than a few customers by putting them in non-Honda rentals and risking that the customer finds out there may be something else out there other than Honda that is better for them. Of course, this may also be offset by making a few new sales by putting people in newer and different Honda models than the ones they currently own that they end up liking. In my case, the CR-V's ride, quietness, handling, and technology have got me dreading getting back in my Ridgeline even more. Sure, it's relatively underpowered, but the fuel economy is simply outstanding.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Traded up to a new CRV yesterday for the wife cause of the recall. They shot us a great deal that we couldnt pass on. I figured this would happen, what a difference from the 2011 to this one. No way was she going to drive one for up to 6 months and go back. Test drove the Sportage and Escape, CRV she liked the most and we thought of the three the quality was better believe it or not, Ford was good to but she felt way more relaxed drivin it.

· Registered
1,308 Posts
Traded up to a new CRV yesterday for the wife cause of the recall. They shot us a great deal that we couldnt pass on. I figured this would happen, what a difference from the 2011 to this one. No way was she going to drive one for up to 6 months and go back. Test drove the Sportage and Escape, CRV she liked the most and we thought of the three the quality was better believe it or not, Ford was good to but she felt way more relaxed drivin it.
Got a new escape for company car..great power..already
Tranny banging, new parts, sync continues to have issues, check engine light..they reset said probably one bad o2 code...its back again and stays on...tranny still bangs once in a while...
Pos...good choice..

· Registered
3,228 Posts
FWIW, the Escape performs well but doesn't earn CR's "Recommended" rating due to below-average reliability. OTOH, the F150 is the only pickup truck CR recommends. Ram 1500s get high marks for ride and comfort but continue to have reliability issues.

New car quality has been in the news lately, and I've heard several reports that mentioned Honda's unexpected fall from the top, due mostly to customer dissatisfaction with infotainment systems. Trouble with some new transmissions was also mentioned (guess which?). However, the reporters noted that several Honda models still rank among the best vehicles in their categories. One news story mentioned that Honda's slide in quality has caused major turmoil inside the company and a shake-up to regain their reputation. No prediction on how soon they'll turn it around.

· Registered
590 Posts
I assume you guys are having difficulty getting the airbag inflators?
I called my local dealership ( I'm hope to sell/trade soon), and received an appointment for the next day. I then called Mazda for my fathers car, and also got an appointment for the next day. Is this a regional issue?

Joe, if you read this, how do you feel about the paint adhesion on the aluminum body panels? I've owned and know other Ford owners whose had the paint simply fall off the hood or tailgates...

· Registered
3,009 Posts
I called my local dealership ( I'm hope to sell/trade soon), and received an appointment for the next day. I then called Mazda for my fathers car, and also got an appointment for the next day. Is this a regional issue?

Joe, if you read this, how do you feel about the paint adhesion on the aluminum body panels? I've owned and know other Ford owners whose had the paint simply fall off the hood or tailgates...
From what we've been told the new replacement parts are not available yet. Don't be surprised if you don't get your airbags changed when you go in.

· Registered
2,446 Posts

It always amazes me how the F-150 continues to top the sales charts. Last month Ford sold over SIXTY THOUSAND F-150s.

Top 30 Best-Selling Vehicles In America - February 2016 - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

I've had a few Fords along the way. They were all good. No real problems. I usually keep a vehicle for at least 7 years. I recently sold a 1995 F-150 with over 275,000 miles on it. It's still going strong for the new owner.

Joe's post made me think about this advertisement from the 1960's.

· Premium Member
7,342 Posts

Ford has never been on my radar. I've actually driven very few Ford vehicles and don't follow their news.

The F-150 rental they gave me has been a complete surprise. My first thought was that I didn't really want to drive such a behemoth for a few months waiting for my Ridgeline airbag replacement.

I was completely surprised that the F-150 was so comfortable and a pleasure to drive. I'm going to do a mini-review in the next few days.

As for paint problems... the truck I have only had 100 miles on it when I got it. Before I took it off the Enterprise lot I did a walk around and put my mindset as if I was inspecting a vehicle rolling off the final line. I wasn't able to find any flaws of any kind. The paint is perfect (I like the very bright white color) and seams and gaps are perfect as well. How long that will last is unknown to me (and since it's a loaner I don't really care).

The only real problems I have with the F-150 are that it's damned hard to close the doors. I have to close them twice nearly every time. There was some wind noise at the top of the driver's door but I found that the seal wasn't seated properly (problem solved). It's also not the easiest vehicle to get in to... it's higher than expected.

I have no idea what trim level the truck has, and I tried to price out a similar vehicle on Ford's web site, but that seems impossible. I suspect Enterprise has a special configuration built for them.

The sad part is that I like the F-150 so much that it will make my Ridgeline feel rude and crude when I get it back.

· Registered
971 Posts
Ford has never been on my radar. I've actually driven very few Ford vehicles and don't follow their news.

The F-150 rental they gave me has been a complete surprise. My first thought was that I didn't really want to drive such a behemoth for a few months waiting for my Ridgeline airbag replacement.

I was completely surprised that the F-150 was so comfortable and a pleasure to drive. I'm going to do a mini-review in the next few days.

As for paint problems... the truck I have only had 100 miles on it when I got it. Before I took it off the Enterprise lot I did a walk around and put my mindset as if I was inspecting a vehicle rolling off the final line. I wasn't able to find any flaws of any kind. The paint is perfect (I like the very bright white color) and seams and gaps are perfect as well. How long that will last is unknown to me (and since it's a loaner I don't really care).

The only real problems I have with the F-150 are that it's damned hard to close the doors. I have to close them twice nearly every time. There was some wind noise at the top of the driver's door but I found that the seal wasn't seated properly (problem solved). It's also not the easiest vehicle to get in to... it's higher than expected.

I have no idea what trim level the truck has, and I tried to price out a similar vehicle on Ford's web site, but that seems impossible. I suspect Enterprise has a special configuration built for them.

The sad part is that I like the F-150 so much that it will make my Ridgeline feel rude and crude when I get it back.
They have come a long way thats for sure.

· Administrator
24,909 Posts
I'm tempted to make an offer on this '15 CR-V loaner (I bet I can get it cheeeeep.) But, I'm going to await a few more months and see what the all-new 2017 CR-V has to offer in addition to the new modular "Civic" platform, 1.5L turbo engine, and updated electronics.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.