Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
Red 2017 RTL-E
891 Posts
Took it in today. I had enough after paying $95 for an oil change and tire rotation. Got three bottles of fluid and 2 crush washers at the parts counter and I’ll borrow a torque and do this myself.
Why borrow a torque wrench? Go buy one from Harbor Freight and you'll have one for life. Make sure it covers the low end (like torquing your differential) as well as the high end (lug nuts). Actually, I only bought the bigger one for lug nuts. The low-end stuff (12-67 in-lbs)I just use my calibrated elbow for torquing.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
497 Posts
Took it in today. I had enough after paying $95 for an oil change and tire rotation. Got three bottles of fluid and 2 crush washers at the parts counter and I’ll borrow a torque and do this myself.
Honda uses several different fluids in their differentials. The dealerships have been known to give 2G owners the incorrect fluid. Make sure to use DPSF-ll in the 2G diff. Also ensure the vehicle is level when refilling the differential to properly fill per step 5 in the above procedure.

Reactions: longboat

·
Premium Member
Red 2017 RTL-E
891 Posts
Honda uses several different fluids in their differentials. The dealerships have been known to give 2G owners the incorrect fluid. Make sure to use DPSF-ll in the 2G diff. Also ensure the vehicle is level when refilling the differential to properly fill per step 5 in the above procedure.
You realize that if the vehicle is NOT level. it will result in about 3 drops less fluid in the transfer case right? Not suggesting anyone do the MX improperly, but come on...

If you think I am wrong, do it right, leave the fill port open, then jack up the front of the truck and see how much drains out.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The fill plug is usually very tight. Make sure you can break it loose before you drain the fluid.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
497 Posts
You realize that if the vehicle is NOT level. it will result in about 3 drops less fluid in the transfer case right? Not suggesting anyone do the MX improperly, but come on...

If you think I am wrong, do it right, leave the fill port open, then jack up the front of the truck and see how much drains out.
Nope never tried it. But now I know … thanks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I do almost all of my own maintenance so I am a little biased, but if you are looking to save a few bucks this is a pretty simple procedure to do. 2 quarts of DPF II runs me a hair under $20 at my local dealer, you'll need a fluid pump (something like this) and new crush washers should you choose to change them out. Assuming you need to buy everything for the job ($20 for the fluids, $10 for the pump, toss on ~$2-3 for new washers from the dealer) you're looking at about $35 to DIY in parts, plus whatever you value your time at. The procedure to drain and fill the rear diff is simple, but pumping 2 quarts out of a bottle with a hand pump always takes longer than I think. You don't have to jack up the vehicle to get at the diff, but you might find it easier to access. If you do jack it up, be sure to jack up both ends as the diff must be filled while the vehicle is level!

Nice, that link on Amazon brought up a link to the crush washer set for the rear diff and the correct fluid. I don't need it yet... after 9 months, I'm only at 7k miles (and that includes a 2400 mile road trip), so I figure I won't hit 15k for maybe another year.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts