Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished buttoning up the truck from the backup camera install. I've been putting this off for a while and now I know why. I'm no newbie to running wires and such, but this one took a bit longer than I anticipated.

This is a wired install in the tailgate handle. The biggest challenges were getting the wire routed from the tailgate to the headunit in the dash. I followed TMKRunner's excellent pictures until I realized he was not routing an RCA cable. The hole that enters below the B-pillar is not large enough for an RCA jack. Not sure how everyone was able to fit the RCA plug through the hole just aft of that one, but I had to use a 1/2" drill bit to open the hole leading into the truck where one of the door sill plastic fastener snaps in. Once inside the truck, it was relatively easy to route the cable through.

I owe htaddict a beer for his pictures on the reverse wire in this thread: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=258847#post258847. I found the harness and was able to tap into it near the connector. It helps to disconnect the lower harness and push it out of the way before disconnecting the top harness where the reverse wire sits. There's no way this colorblind guy would have found it in the large bundle of wires as htaddict did.

I tapped into the backup lights for the camera's power. The wire colors are actually counter-intuitive as someone on here said. Green is power and yellow (I think) is ground.

I bought my camera from SecurityCamera2000 like most people did. I got this model: http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/Mini-Weatherproof-Back-Up-Rearview-Camera.html. They also sell a model without the lines. I didn't notice there was a difference and will probably get the one without the lines if this one fails. The body is just a touch smaller than the factory opening, and the bezel covers the hole nicely. I used a bit of the loop side of velcro to increase its diameter so it would stay put while I rotated it into correct alignment. I then added a drop of super glue. Hopefully it holds up. If not, I'll reach for silicone.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does have HDMI, though I haven't really used it.

The camera looks ok in the day, but it's very grainy at night. Haven't really used it in much capacity yet to back up, but the picture quality is lacking. Would be better with a lower lux rating.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
It does have HDMI, though I haven't really used it.

The camera looks ok in the day, but it's very grainy at night. Haven't really used it in much capacity yet to back up, but the picture quality is lacking. Would be better with a lower lux rating.
Great job Mr. Bug! Love the fully integrated appearance of your install.

Agreed on camera resolution in low light - after being around a few different OEM BU cams, I share your observation in my install. I've adapted to the color distortions and grainy resolution and use the available image as it is intended, which is to simply judge distance to objects in the rear. Who needs high res images of a wall or safety pole anyhow? :act024:

It's been my observation that drivers who use factory BU cams rely WAY too much on them for reverse maneuvering - most of whom seem to abandon the practice of using 3 rear view mirrors in favor of near 100% reliance on the cam. No good can come from that!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The camera comes on and the headunit switches to that input whenever I put the truck into reverse. It happens relatively quickly and it doesn't interrupt what's playing on a separate source.

I originally wanted a camera as soon as I got the truck a year ago. A 98 Tacoma preceded the RL. It was narrower and I had become comfortable with how close the rear was to objects. Plus, it was pretty beat up looking so I didn't care if it pushed a shopping cart or a tree out of the way. The RL felt much bigger when I first drove it and I was all thumbs for a while when backing it up. It's much easier now and I only need a little help on the last couple feet when positioning myself in a parking spot in front of another car, or lining up the hitch with a trailer. I only plan on using the camera at the very end, not to start.

What camera did you use?

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The camera comes on and the headunit switches to that input whenever I put the truck into reverse. It happens relatively quickly and it doesn't interrupt what's playing on a separate source.

I originally wanted a camera as soon as I got the truck a year ago. A 98 Tacoma preceded the RL. It was narrower and I had become comfortable with how close the rear was to objects. Plus, it was pretty beat up looking so I didn't care if it pushed a shopping cart or a tree out of the way. The RL felt much bigger when I first drove it and I was all thumbs for a while when backing it up. It's much easier now and I only need a little help on the last couple feet when positioning myself in a parking spot in front of another car, or lining up the hitch with a trailer. I only plan on using the camera at the very end, not to start.

What camera did you use?
Forgot the name brand of the camera but it's in this thread.

The image of the underground parking lot is a best case scenario. When behind the RL is illuminated only by back up lights, is dark or contain white light from near by sources - the display looks pretty good, but throw in the yellow of typical sodium lights and the image gets super grainy with hyper-yellow tinges and very unnatural tint. Still does the job of showing impediments, but there are WAY better low light cameras than the one I used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just finished buttoning up the truck from the backup camera install. I've been putting this off for a while and now I know why. I'm no newbie to running wires and such, but this one took a bit longer than I anticipated.

This is a wired install in the tailgate handle. The biggest challenges were getting the wire routed from the tailgate to the headunit in the dash. I followed TMKRunner's excellent pictures until I realized he was not routing an RCA cable. The hole that enters below the B-pillar is not large enough for an RCA jack. Not sure how everyone was able to fit the RCA plug through the hole just aft of that one, but I had to use a 1/2" drill bit to open the hole leading into the truck where one of the door sill plastic fastener snaps in. Once inside the truck, it was relatively easy to route the cable through.

I owe htaddict a beer for his pictures on the reverse wire in this thread: AVIC-D3 Installation Information - Pictures will follow - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums. I found the harness and was able to tap into it near the connector. It helps to disconnect the lower harness and push it out of the way before disconnecting the top harness where the reverse wire sits. There's no way this colorblind guy would have found it in the large bundle of wires as htaddict did.

I tapped into the backup lights for the camera's power. The wire colors are actually counter-intuitive as someone on here said. Green is power and yellow (I think) is ground.

I bought my camera from SecurityCamera2000 like most people did. I got this model: Mini Weatherproof Back Up Rearview Camera. They also sell a model without the lines. I didn't notice there was a difference and will probably get the one without the lines if this one fails. The body is just a touch smaller than the factory opening, and the bezel covers the hole nicely. I used a bit of the loop side of velcro to increase its diameter so it would stay put while I rotated it into correct alignment. I then added a drop of super glue. Hopefully it holds up. If not, I'll reach for silicone.

I realize that it has been a while since these installs have have been posted. I am trying to find the handle assembly with the camera mount on it. My local Honda dealer cannot verify if that handle is available and if so what the model# is. Does anyone know what the Honda part # is and also what the Honda part # is on the Navi interface module is?

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Check Bernardi Honda parts!!!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
THe camera handle doesn't show up until the 2009 models. Go to the 2009 models, find a color that works for you and knock yourself out with the install. Very easy to do. If you're like me and no color is close, just sand and paint to match.

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,392 Posts
Here's some part numbers, I collected a few years back.

74810-SJC-A21ZM HANDLE ASSY., TAILGATE (UPPER)*R549P* DARK CHERRY PEARL II

74810-SJC-A21ZN HANDLE ASSY., TAILGATE (UPPER)*B588P* OBSIDIAN BLUE PEARL

74810-SJC-A21ZK HANDLE ASSY., TAILGATE (UPPER)*NH731P* CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL

74810-SJC-A21ZJ HANDLE ASSY., TAILGATE (UPPER)*NH700M* ALABASTER SILVER METALLIC

74810-SJC-A21ZF HANDLE ASSY., TAILGATE (UPPER)*R529P* DARK CHERRY PEARL

74810-SJC-A21ZB HANDLE ASSY., TAILGATE (UPPER)*NH578* TAFFETA WHITE

74810-SJC-A21ZL HANDLE ASSY., TAILGATE (UPPER)*NH737M* POLISHED METAL METALLIC

·
Registered
235 Posts
THe camera handle doesn't show up until the 2009 models. Go to the 2009 models, find a color that works for you and knock yourself out with the install.
Here's some part numbers, I collected a few years back.

74810-SJC-A21ZM HANDLE ASSY., TAILGATE (UPPER)R549P DARK CHERRY PEARL II
74810-SJC-A21ZL HANDLE ASSY., TAILGATE (UPPER)NH737M POLISHED METAL METALLIC
I'm trying to find something for my 2008 Steel Blue Metallic. What year range did the camera handle fit?
I'm hoping there is a color other than 2009 colors that will work better.

If not, either a chrome or black will do. Is the POLISHED METAL METALLIC chrome? Was there ever a chrome handle?

Alternatively, I could pick up a spray bomb in my color and paint over another color. If so, which color would be best?

Rather than replacing the head unit, I'm looking at the Garmin DriveAssist 51 LMT-S GPS that has a dash cam built in. That will take up to 4 wireless cameras. Their backup cameras have so so reviews for quality of picture.But it is a system that works for my needs.

I'm looking at using the BC 30 Wireless Backup Camera which is a bit of a misnomer since it is hard wired to power & the reverse light. It is the connection between the camera and the GPS that is wireless. I'm hoping to be able to dismantle one from it's external case and put it in the "camera" tailgate handle. The other I can leave in my camper trailer.

Plan B is to try installing the external camera over the license plate and hope it has a good view without interfering with the tailgate.

Plan C is to go truly wireless an use the BC 40 camera that is designed to fit on the top of the license plate. I'd prefer not to go that route because I don't relish the thought of replacing 2 AA lithium batteries every three months. (what were they thinking?)

On edit: I don't plan on spending the prices in the Garmin links. Those are MRSP prices. I've found much better. But it is still going to be expensive!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The camera handle fits all G1 trucks. I'm not sure if they offered steel blue metallic in the handle. I had mine painted nimbus gray as they weren't available. I think I bought a black handle.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,402 Posts
Roy Ridges: Polished metal metallic is Grey metallic paint. No steel Blue in the 2009+ models so you may have to either have a black handle or paint the handle to match your body color.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks guys.

I think I'll try black. I saw a red one here with a black handle & it looked OK with the other black plastic trim. Also thinking that the black will mask the black of the camera itself

Considering the Crystal Black Pearl (NH731P) was available from 2010 and up,there will more likely be stock than trying for the Nighthawk Black Pearl (B92P) that was only used in the 2006 and 2009 models.

If the black is not "esthetic", I can always paint it Steel Blue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts