Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Another big Takata recall - 031219

32K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  MaintMech 
#1 ·
#22 ·
I'm with you on that... I don't think they even did a replacement the first time, if they did they managed to do it without disturbing any the dirt on my dash... I showed it to a competing dealership, and the service manager, kinda stepped back, hesitated and said, they really didn't need to touch the passenger side bag area, which was covered in undisturbed dirt...

#13 ·
Based on this chart, my 2008 RL with a DOM of May 2008 is affected. Maybe? Only 853 made in between June 2007 and July 2008? That doesn't compute.

"Honda Ridgeline 2008 06/04/2007 to 07/17/2008 853"

#4 ·
I did not know this but I googled the status of Takata. I am not sure if it was known fact around ROC, but looks like they were bough by a company called KSS (Key Safety Systems) a CHINESE automotive safety equipment manufacturer since Takata filed for bankruptcy in the US in 2017.

Question is, who and how does one guarantee that the replacements are going to be working fine? Maybe I should put a full rollcage in my G1 and use 5-point racing harness.............

#5 ·
I knew that Takata had filed for bankruptcy, but I stopped keeping up after that. Apparently, after Key Safety Systems bought Takata's ashes, they changed their name to Joyson Safety Systems.

Naturally, the potential exists that the replacements for the replacements could be unsafe. We can only hope that each time problems are found and costs surmount that each replacement inflator undergoes more scrutiny.

I was uneasy about Takata supplying the replacement inflators given the loss of trust in the company because of the lies and cover-ups. I would have had more trust in one of the alternate suppliers such as Daicel, Autoliv, or TRW. I wondered why Honda would even consider using more Takata inflators in the midst all the fiasco, but apparently the other companies couldn't supply enough replacements and Honda didn't have much choice.

#10 ·
"If a vehicle owner is unable or uncomfortable driving their vehicle to a dealer for the recall repair, Honda will tow the vehicle to the nearest authorized dealer for free."

"Per long standing company policy, Honda and Acura dealers are authorized to provide a loaner or rental vehicle to registered owners of vehicles affected by a Takata airbag inflator recall during the recall repair or longer if there is any repair delay."

AIRBAG INFLATOR RECALL CENTER

just posting one more time.. the last one above was 666.. ironic that it was in the takata recall thread...
Normally, one of the moderators would combine sequential posts, but I'll grant an exception due to superstition and/or religious beliefs. :)

#12 ·
The date of the recall, recall lookups by dealers, recall lookups by consumers on Honda's website, recall lookups by consumers on the NHTSA's website, notifications by email, notification by mail, and press releases can each occur at different times - sometimes weeks or months apart depending on many factors such as the number of units affected, the severity of the recall, the workloads of the various entities involved, etc.

Call any Honda dealer and ask them if your VIN is affected - they'll have the most current information.

Reactions: rlobrecht
#15 ·
Bottom line for me since the dealer replaced the airbags, I'll need to run my VIN past the dealer to know the status of my RL.

Reactions: zroger73
#17 ·
Be very weary of Takata airbags.

In September 2013, I was hit by a driver doing 60-65 mph as I was entering an intersection from a stop light, making a left turn doing 2-3 mph. He hit me right in front of my left front wheel, tore off the front of my 2006 Ridgeline, bent the frame 18" to the right, destroyed the radiator and transmission coolers, tore the engine off its mounts shoving it into the firewall, buckled the roof and split the windshield. I had my seat belt on, but still hit the roof, A-pillar, driver’s window, B-pillar, and head rest. Two of the witnesses, both nurses, pulled me out of the truck as I was only semi-conscious. NONE OF THE TAKATA AIR BAGS DEPLOYED. And of course the driver told the police I ran the light, had a fake insurance card, and who knows if the name on his drivers license was even his. For a month after the accident my wife had to dress / undress me, followed by 3 1/2 months of physical therapy. In late 2014, I had reconstructive surgery on my left shoulder followed by months of physical therapy. The end of July 2018, my right shoulder joint failed, and in September I had a complete right shoulder joint replacement. I am still in physical therapy for this, and begin neck therapy for the damage created by the accident the end of this week.

Following the replacement of my right shoulder, I contacted the attorneys handling the Takata Class Action suit, and was informed that because I was not injured by shrapnel from the air bags, or killed, Takata has no liability. How lucky can one be.... but I am still alive!!!! MrBillGA

#18 ·
That's a tough one MrBill. Glad you're alive to tell about it.

What did they end up doing to the other driver? Any idea? Did your insurance end up footing all the bills?

#19 ·
I'm taking mine is as well. Was in already for one bag replacement, yet received another notice.

#25 ·
News outlets are reporting that the NHTSA has deepened its investigation into 12.3 million 2010-2019 vehicles - including Hondas - that use a ZF-TRW airbag controller that may fail to deploy the airbags in a collision.

FCA and Kia/Hyundai have previously issued recalls for this specific part, but a couple of crashes involving Toyotas have prompted further investigation into ZF-TRW and all automakers using this part.

They may find that the risk is low enough to be acceptable, but it could be another big blow (no pun intended) to airbag manufacturers and automakers.

#26 ·
I'm getting mine done tomorrow. Had to check the Canada Honda website to find out that mine hadn't been done.

Just got the truck registered with Honda USA so I can get this done.

2-3 hours I'll be sitting at the dealer. Hope all goes well.

#28 ·
Jobs done!

About 2 hours, no problems. 1st visit to a Honda dealer, I was kinda impressed. Even the parts guy had good people skills.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.