Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lurking for several months, I test drove a BE today. I was impressed. It is very quiet, smooth and has lots of tech. Although I hate the arm rests, everything was spot on. I made a deal for a 1k under MSRP and some dealer add-ons. I think that was a good deal given the supply/demand.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
That was not bad at all considering demand. Around here they are selling before they even get to the dealerships.

·
Registered
107 Posts
After lurking for several months, I test drove a BE today. I was impressed. It is very quiet, smooth and has lots of tech. Although I hate the arm rests, everything was spot on. I made a deal for a 1k under MSRP and some dealer add-ons. I think that was a good deal given the supply/demand.
Congrats and welcome to the Gen II party.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,896 Posts
Yes, welcome aboard! DSP RTL-E here.

You know I didn't know what to think of those armrests before I got my Ridgeline. I've never seen them have detents like that to raise them up and leave them in the raised position. My 2007 Highlander has very similar armrests but they're either up and out of the way or down and too low for me. The new Ridgeline's armrests are very easy to use and comfortable -- for me. What is it that people don't like about them? I know, there are not the big console that the G1 had. But assuming you'd never driven the G1, what's wrong with these armrests?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I just test drove a sport this evening and I did not have a problem with the arm rest. I always drive with my left hand on the wheel and my right on the shifter. I guess being used to driving a manual it was natural to just hold on the gear selector, so it was a comfortable position for me. In fact, it was such a great truck, I have now abandoned the idea of getting a new Tacoma and will be getting a RL.

·
Super Moderator
2,896 Posts
Reactions: 1154 and Ryno

·
Registered
50 Posts

You know I didn't know what to think of those armrests before I got my Ridgeline. I've never seen them have detents like that to raise them up and leave them in the raised position. My 2007 Highlander has very similar armrests but they're either up and out of the way or down and too low for me. The new Ridgeline's armrests are very easy to use and comfortable -- for me. What is it that people don't like about them? I know, there are not the big console that the G1 had. But assuming you'd never driven the G1, what's wrong with these armrests?
It all has to do with body type. I have wide shoulders, not fat, just wide. My arm naturally goes past the armrest. I have to pull my arm in to get is on the armrest. My wife's minivan has armrests, and I hate them. The RL armrests are a bit better, because they are wider and the seat is wider. I just don't understand why Honda would put in armrest vs a console. I get it in the minivan, you can walk between the front seats. The space between the front seats in the RL is a waste. I am guess (and hoping) that there will be an aftermarket console available at some point.

The armrest are just an annoyance. They are certainly not a deal breaker. Honda nailed the styling. The RL is a great balance of utility, tech, and styling. No-one gets it perfect. Honda is the best at getting this balance right.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts

What's right about them?

Appearance - They look cheap and out of place - particularly for a $30-45K vehicle that is classified as a pickup truck.

Comfort - Due to their size, there is less contact area between the armrest and the arm compared to a center console armrest. To me, it feels like trying to comfortably balance my arm on a broomstick vs. a pillow.

Function - I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs. The natural resting position of my arm is to the right of the armrest. It takes a conscious, constant, and unnatural effort to force my arm inward to lay on the armrest. Also, the G1's center console provided a horizontal writing/working surface that isn't possible with the G2's seat-mounted armrests.

I won't speculate on durability, since that's not yet known. However, it seems logical that a fixed, center console-mounted armrest would be more durable than a mechanism that ratchets about a single, fixed point.

Honda moved away from seat-mounted armrests to a proper center console for the 2015-current CR-V. Few people complained about this. Honda made the opposite move for the 2017 Ridgeline and more people are complaining. I've had vehicles without armrests. These seat-mounted ones are better than no armrest at all, but they are far less comfortable, useful, and attractive compared to a center console armrest.

·
Super Moderator
2,896 Posts
Thanks for the cogent critique and explanation. I'm coming from a vehicle, the Tacoma, that has a center console bin/armrest and console floor shifter that left me feeling cramped 100% of time. Even putting the seatbelt on was difficult. I found I couldn't do it with my right hand because it was too cramped beside the giant center bin. My accelerator foot was also cramped. I could never extend it far enough to the right to be comfortable. So for me a small, lightweight armrest (which I guess I'm lucky that I arm falls comfortably enough on) is a boon. I do share your concern about durability. It has a somewhat flimsy feel to it that I don't like much. If it doesn't stand up to day-to-day use then I will be in your camp.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Looked at the black but decided on the blue or red. I think the perf leather over lighter red fabric might show dirt in the fabric after a while and I don't like black exteriors all that much anyway.

·
Registered
235 Posts
What's right about them?

Appearance - They look cheap and out of place - particularly for a $30-45K vehicle that is classified as a pickup truck.

Comfort - Due to their size, there is less contact area between the armrest and the arm compared to a center console armrest. To me, it feels like trying to comfortably balance my arm on a broomstick vs. a pillow.

Function - I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs. The natural resting position of my arm is to the right of the armrest. It takes a conscious, constant, and unnatural effort to force my arm inward to lay on the armrest. Also, the G1's center console provided a horizontal writing/working surface that isn't possible with the G2's seat-mounted armrests.

I won't speculate on durability, since that's not yet known. However, it seems logical that a fixed, center console-mounted armrest would be more durable than a mechanism that ratchets about a single, fixed point.

Honda moved away from seat-mounted armrests to a proper center console for the 2015-current CR-V. Few people complained about this. Honda made the opposite move for the 2017 Ridgeline and more people are complaining. I've had vehicles without armrests. These seat-mounted ones are better than no armrest at all, but they are far less comfortable, useful, and attractive compared to a center console armrest.
My only complaint is that it should be about 2" longer in the same sense that the G2 console could extend forward.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The BE club is growing quickly!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts