Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the RL about a month ago and with only 21K miles for a 2007 I was excited with the deal I got. Paint is great, interior was beautiful, and the bed....was used. When showing it to friends and family they say it looks brand new until they see the bed. I owned a truck in the past and know that a bed is to be used ......but still.... a new to me RL that looks new should have a bed to match.

Came across the bondo threads and with other members positive results and it being a $10 investment I just had to try it out. This stuff is awesome.

***not sure if admin would prefer this to be in the restore black thread in the mod/maint area or if it's okay to have as a new thread? It can happily be moved over into that thread if it's more appropriate there....still learning the ropes on this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (successor to 2010 Dark Cherry Pearl RTL)
1,210 Posts
I think it's a new thread…

That really looks beautiful. For what it's worth my 2010 purchased this summer with 11 miles on it had a bed that looked pretty crappy—not so much like it had been used, more like the truck sat out in the elements for some period of time. When the dealer cleaned up the truck for sale they obviously didn't touch the bed. I haven't touched it yet because I was hauling stuff, but now it's time to rectify that.

I picked up the Bondo recently and am hoping for some nice weather near the end of the week.

Thanks for the great pictures!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not familiar what stores Canada has as far as auto part retailers (pepboys, kragen, auto zone, etc) or even Wal-Marts. I did find on amazon 3 retailers which 2 of them say they ship internationally but say to check with them first as certain products they are not allowed to ship internationally? 3M also sells it but they make you buy it in a 4 pack :/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&s=beauty&qid=1289855025&sr=8-1&condition=new

I did notice that in the picture in the link my sponge/applicator was flat and not grooved but everything else looks the same.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I was also very excited about Bondo Restore Black kit. It really made a difference in the appearance of the bed of the truck.
When the weather clears up I will put another coat on. It is holding up very well, in bad, wet, cold weather. That was the best $10.00 I ever spent at the Walmart.

Attachments

Reactions: Highboy90

·
Registered
504 Posts
Judging by the before and after pictures the Bondo black product really works well. Can you use the product to spots and scraps for bed touch up applications or do you have to apply it over the entire bed everytime for color match?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the next scratch I'll see if touch up works or if it's a full cover situation. Maybe someone with more experience can answer that sooner for you though.

A personal note, I'm not a detailed kind of guy so when I did the first application, I went fast and put a ton on the applicator. So the first coat was a little streaky (expected that with the horrible way I put it on). The second coat I put on about 20-30 mins later with a little more care with no streaks (the only tough parts are around the tie down areas in the corners which I literally just shoved the applicator in the corner to cover).

This stuff is awesome and again, I know it's supposed to be a truck and get scratched up in the bed, but when it's new (to me), I want it looking that way. When I get scratches, I want them to be earned from me, not the previous owner

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Hey guys where can I get this Bondo product? I am in Canada.

Thanks.
I've searched low & high and can't find it in Ottawa (Canada) at Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire, so I'm guessing Ebay will be my best bet!:act035:

·
Registered
7 Posts
After hearing about this stuff on the forum, I tried it on my 08 RTL with great success. It was about $9 at WalMart. It looks like I should give another coat - but this bed scratches so easily I will probably cover it again soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks great!

I put on two coast myself but as I explained it was because I was kind of just slapping it on in coat 1. There is definitely enough for 2 coats in the bottle and it just adds that deeper color in the second one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, I didn't put it on that carefully, myself. I'm planning on getting a tonneau cover (hopefully as my Christmas gift) so I thought I'd give the bed another good coat before I installed the cover. Or perhaps after, since I'll be scuffing it all up during the installation.

This is the exact kind of thing that this forum is so perfect for. Great suggestions on products that really help.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Canadian Walmarts do not sell this stuff. I went down to Bellingham Walmart to pick it up.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Those aren't scratches, just character lines. Like the rust spots on old Chevy pickups. I use a mat and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This stuff is amazing! I have a VERY used 2006 bed with deep deep gouges (not scratches). Obviously this doesn't take those away, but it reduced their appearance to the point that the bed looks new from about 4 ft away. The minor scratches are essentially gone. I also had wearing down to the point where fiberglass would come off and onto my arms when I'd get in the bed. That doesn't seem to happen anymore. This stuff is great. I paid $12 for a bg bottle and applicator combo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I dont know for sure how it works for touch up, but as you can see, it looks like a new bed with one coat.
In the future I will try a touch up on spots. I have enough left to do this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok, so I just got a new-to-me 2008 ridgeline and of course am wanting to fix up some of the smudges in the bed. I looked for the bondo black to back but could only find some by the mothers brand. Will that work the same? Also, I had a guy tell me that a rhino-spray stuff will work better, does the bondo brand last pretty long? Thanks! :act006:

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.