Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long and thoughtful search, I have parted ways with my 3rd Ridgeline. Have been looking for something different for several months ... For me, there is nothing in the midsized truck market that is appealing. The only truck I did drive was a 2015 Taco. I owned an 83, 89, 94, and 01 Toyota in the past. The 2015 V6 double cab I drove was awful. For sure I have been spoiled by the RL. The Taco is all truck and in my opinion rides poorly, has no on-road attributes ... is definitely over priced ... and extremely cramped compared to the RL.

I would have considered the new Frontier ... but who knows when it will be released and what exact version will be adopted.

Was looking for more refinement and on-road ride performance and comfort ... yet still desire occasional off road capability and winter weather re-assurance.

Surprisingly I ended up with a 2015 Jeep GC. Flame away if you wish ... but for now it checks the boxes and does in fact ride beautifully. It's the first American car I have owned since high school.

Gonna miss the Ridge a bit ... especially the incredible storage ... but I was getting Ridgeline fatigue ( after 3 ) and wasn't interested in playing radiator roulette or checking spark plugs etc...

I couldn't hang in there for the 2nd gen RL and am definitely gun shy about the first new run considering the new Pilot ( which I looked at ... and never considered after just looking at it on the lot. It's basically a mini-van now ). Along with the stupid VCM work-a-rounds people are employing...

I'll be keeping up with the 2nd gen. progress and may very well return to the RL if it hasn't been overly bastardized ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I happened to be in the dealership two days ago to pick up transmission fluid for my '06. I asked them if there was a tentative release date for the new Ridgeline. They "assured" me it would be a 2017 model, likely released late 2016.

I am a little apprehensive about the new update, and have been looking at alternatives. If you don't want to go full size, not much to choose from. Guess I might try to hang on.....

·
Registered
340 Posts
While I don't agree that a 2015 V6 DC Toyota ride as being awful, it certainly has less room and storage. Anyway, good luck with the Jeep and perhaps we'll see you around from time to time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have been impressed as of lately with the Jeep GC interior and just this past week I parked next a newer SRT8 model that had the special hood... man it was sharp. I've considered a GC as my next vehicle as I have had luck with Jeeps in the past.... like you I would miss having a truck bed.

Do the seats fold down in it? I guess I could make exceptions to not having a bed just as long as I could still haul lumber and larger items in the back. I would of course have to get large 4x8 sheet stock cut in pieces at the store, which is a hassle.

Hope you stick around, owning 3 Ridgelines has to have some experience value.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back seats are lie flat as well as front passenger ( totally flat ). It's a long way in if necessary. I carried a lot of odds and ends in the RL and will likely kick myself in the a$$ at some point ... but it's just not a priority to have a pick-up at this point for me...but very convenient.

The interior of the GC from the base model up is in fact very impressive. It's well designed and appears appointed with quality materials, including some very nice technology. I'm not gonna say how impressed I am etc... etc... I'm aware of potential pitfalls just like the RL but the change has been better than I expected ... so far.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I don't agree that a 2015 V6 DC Toyota ride as being awful, it certainly has less room and storage. Anyway, good luck with the Jeep and perhaps we'll see you around from time to time.
Drive your RL for 8 years and then jump into the beach chair that acts as the front seat in the Toyo and take it from there ... It's been bandied about a thousand times in this forum RL vs. ( insert other brand ). But the differences between these two are great. There are sedans out there that have more in common with the RL than a Tacoma.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I mentioned that I did exactly the same thing as you Codda (went from my third RL to the 2015 Jeep GC). I made the move last December and although I do miss the RL occasionally, my GC (with now 30K+ miles) has been flawless like all three of my RL's were. That being said, I'm still actively following this thread and the RL forum with great interest to see if RL #4 is in my future over the next few years. One thing you'll notice, although the GC has a forum also, it doesn't hold a candle to this one (and I haven't even looked at it since I first purchased my GC).

Good luck with your GC. I'm still very impressed almost a year in.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed on the forum. I have no interest in the Jeep forum ... Basically a resource if necessary. The ROC has been a great place ... A lot of very bright people here and I have gained a lot and not just regarding the RL. I have always appreciated the help and comoraderie that exists. I plan on hanging around and checking in with the next Gen. progress as well and see a possibility of a return to Honda if the next Gen. shakes out well ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts