Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got tired of seeing expensive bed covers that really were not any better than I thought I could do so I went ahead and made my own. I used diamond plate aluminum sheets that were purchased cut to my specs and some angle aluminum pieces. Two of the angle aluminum were affixed to the sides of the RL using the bolt holes that most of the commercial toppers use. I used angle aluminum and rivets to strengthen the sheets of aluminum by building a frame around then and putting them into place. I used a large piano hinge to allow the back sheet to be lifted to gain access. I used a turnbuckle to affix the front part to the lower tiedowns. I did the same on the back part when I want it closed. I am still trying to come up with a better latching system but they come off in about 15 seconds and are really secure. I then painted it with some rust-o-leum rubberized paint. I also used some rubber seals on the angle metal where the top and bracket come together and then siliconed the crap out of everything else.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am guessing it would hold 200 pounds or so. I would have liked to have the angle aluminum welded in place but the rivets were much cheaper. I think all in all I spent under 400 bucks. Not bad for a hard cover. I also added a bike mount to the front (might be hard to see.)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Nice Job Aurora.

If you don't plan on selling them, would you mind providing a "parts list"

I could see a use for building one of them myself, and I have access to welders who could do the welding for a case of "beverage of their choice" ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the aluminum from metalsupermarkets. They are online and you can spec sizes for them to cut. I got 2 pieces of diamond plate(1/8" thick) 1 at 54"x25" and 1 at 54" x37". The 25" piece will need to be trimmed because the RL bed does taper slightly. I think I actually had to trim about 1/2 inch off the 37" piece as well. Side brackets are 1.5" x1.5" (0.188 thick) and I got 2 of those cut at 60 inches (trim to fit the truck). Then I got 2 1.25"X1.25" (0.125" thick) at 60 inches (used for the sides of the framing of the panels) and 4 1.25"x1.25" (0.125" thick) at 54 for the cross members of the panels. I picked up the material locally once I ordered it but shipping it to me would have been under $50 (amazingly). Box of rivets. 48" piano hinge. 4 turnbuckles. 2 feet of chain. 2 M8 bolts. 2 M10 bolts. I think that is about it.

I don't plan on making them but would be more than happy to answer any questions. Probably took about 4 hours to make.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts