Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the home link working for both garage door openers, no problems. However would like to set the home security system as well, anyone been able to do this with an ADT system?

·
Registered
536 Posts
So the thief steals your truck, enters the "home" destination into the nav system, once he gets to your house, disarms the alarm and opens the door to your house.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Get the delux James Bond 007 Official car alarm! A thief enters vehicle and tries to steal it. Car blows up. No more thief!!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I strongly suggest that you DO NOT program the alarm system into you home link system. Whaleya maks a very good point - even if you do not have the Navi model. My suggestion is based on my years of experience in the alarm industry. If you attempt to arm your system from your vehicle and your system fails to arm for any reason (such as an open door or window or other system trouble) you would have no way of knowing that it did not arm because you can not see the keypad response. Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, upon your return home, if an alarm occurred while you were away, or was in alarm at that time, again, you would have no way of knowing about the alarm. If you have the keychain type remote control, the best place to use them is while standing in front of the keypad so that you can confirm the response. Most systems indicate alarm activity at the keypad. Your alarm company may be able to install a remote indicator light panel in your garage if you really want to use the homelink system to arm and dis-arm. If your branch of ADT uses Ademco panels (private labeled for ADT) they make a two-way remote with status lights and beeper built in. It is about the size of a cell phone that may be able to be added to your system instead of the homelink.
Also, be sure to lock the door between the garage and the house. Garages are fairly easy to break into and leaving that door unlocked makes it too easy to gain entry into the house. Keep the manual emergency pull cord tied up and tight to the traveling arm of the opener. If you have glass windows at the top of the door, it is easy to break the glass, reach in and release the opener and then lift the door. If your car with homelink is in the garage now they can turn your alarm off before entering the house. Sorry if this is a little off subject...

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Excellent advice, Ultra-HOG. One can never be to lax about home security.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Home Link Question

first home link: house garage

second home link: future 2006 tail gate lock or tool box lock
( I am sure it is available somewhere)

third home link: future 2007 leer truck bed cap lock or tonneau lock.
(available but not for Ridgeline yet)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ultra-Hog, you made some really good points, and I will no longer be considering that, thank you!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
FJTRPH said:
Got the home link working for both garage door openers, no problems. However would like to set the home security system as well, anyone been able to do this with an ADT system?
I too have ADT and my code is Rolling unless i use the keypad inhouse to activate or deactivate the alarm. I don't suggest that you use your homelink for your RL. You can probably use it to turn the inside lights of the house with the homelink.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
This is something that has always bothered me even with a standalone garage door remote. Two of our cars have Homelink now, but I only programed the one that always gets put in the garage at night. The ridgeline will unfortunately need to be parked outside. If I program the homelink it just means someone can get into the garage and work on getting into the home at their leisure. Especially if we are away for any length of time. Id prefer that the Homelink be tied to the proximity sensor in the key. I can also see a some downside to that for some folks, but I would sure like it. I could also see that some might consider it a safety risk if it increases the chance of starting the car in a closed garage. I wonder if I could atleast tie it to the accessory position of the ignition. That would make it a little more difficult to operate without a key atleast. Of course that assumes that device doesnt need continuous battery backup. I have replaced the battery in our Odyssey and dont recall reporgramming the Homelink, but I guess that still doesnt mean that it would survive long periods of no battery. Anyone have experiance with this- perhaps even know if the homelink uses some sort of non-volitile memory? As it stands now I have a standard remote in the shoulder bag I carry to work. That way it doesnt stay in the car. I guess I could also buy the remote keypad accessory for the opener itself. That wouldnt be to bad. Could just leave it in the king sized center console. Wasnt all that long ago, well maybe it was, that we actually had to get out to open the door!

thanks
Jon

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
schwejo said:
This is something that has always bothered me even with a standalone garage door remote. Two of our cars have Homelink now, but I only programed the one that always gets put in the garage at night. The ridgeline will unfortunately need to be parked outside. If I program the homelink it just means someone can get into the garage and work on getting into the home at their leisure. Especially if we are away for any length of time. Id prefer that the Homelink be tied to the proximity sensor in the key. I can also see a some downside to that for some folks, but I would sure like it. I could also see that some might consider it a safety risk if it increases the chance of starting the car in a closed garage. I wonder if I could atleast tie it to the accessory position of the ignition. That would make it a little more difficult to operate without a key atleast. Of course that assumes that device doesnt need continuous battery backup. I have replaced the battery in our Odyssey and dont recall reporgramming the Homelink, but I guess that still doesnt mean that it would survive long periods of no battery. Anyone have experiance with this- perhaps even know if the homelink uses some sort of non-volitile memory? As it stands now I have a standard remote in the shoulder bag I carry to work. That way it doesnt stay in the car. I guess I could also buy the remote keypad accessory for the opener itself. That wouldnt be to bad. Could just leave it in the king sized center console. Wasnt all that long ago, well maybe it was, that we actually had to get out to open the door!

thanks
Jon
Some things you should start seeing soon in your car will be bio-metric scanners and voice print authentication. I have seen a working un-lock button on a vehicle that used a combo key proximity and thumb print scan to open the door. Pretty cool technology. Still a ways out for mass production but the HIGH end vehicles will probably be using it in the next few years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts